Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 rose bushes in the garden - maintenance advice needed

Options
  • 15-04-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Between last spring and this spring I've planted 40 rose bushes at the borders either side of my garden. They are all around 2ft apart and two plants deep, so the density would equate to say you had a 2 or 2 & 1/2ft square you'd have a rose bush on every corner, if you know what I mean.

I am getting conflicting advice on them as some people are telling me they are too close together and I will basically end up with two rose hedges, and yet I've come across advice in gardening magazines saying it's ok to plant rose bushes as close as eighteen inches as long as you prune them properly.

I don't want them all growing in together, I'd like them to keep the appearance of individual plants, but as they are all quite young (some a couple of months old, none more than a year old) I really could do with some advice as to how to achieve this. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What type of roses did you plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I planted a wide variety, I'd say about 60% floribundas and 40% hybrid teas. Only one of them was marked as having a particularly bushy habit. That's a lovely David Austin cultivar, a pink rosette rose, I can't wait to see it bloom :) Also there are two I planted last year that seem to be coming on quite bushy, they're called 'Frosty Morning'.

I'm not sure if you wanted me to list the names of the roses themselves?

If so I've got Princess of Wales, Polar Star, Iceberg, Pascali, Tequila Sunrise, Sheila's Perfume, Double Delight, Golden Wedding, Handel, Alec's Red, Loving Memory, Frosty Morning and Flower Carpet. I've a few of each of these and several others whose names I can't remember.

I'm bumping this in the hopes of a response. :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Cant give you any advice but i'd love for you to post a few picks when those all come into bloom!!!! I'd say they'll look fab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You've managed to create a developing mess. Different varieties require different spacing. Its too much for me to go through, perhaps one of the Mods will help you.

I think part of the congestion caused by close planting appears to be the confusion between planting distance and plant spacing. Roses (developed) would require at least 600mm space ie distance between developed plants and not planting distance. Ground cover roses on the otherhand can be planted 600mm apart so as to provide a continuous dense carpet effect.

Best of luck, but the best way to resolve your congestion is to remove the considerable overcrowding you've created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

just wait and see, take pics from every angle, the ones you think need removeing tie some thing around them so as they are easily recognoiseable.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Cant give you any advice but i'd love for you to post a few picks when those all come into bloom!!!! I'd say they'll look fab

Thanks Racso, I can't wait to see them all come into bloom, I'll post a few pics around July. :)

Best of luck, but the best way to resolve your congestion is to remove the considerable overcrowding you've created.

Thanks Sonnenblumen. Isn't it true though that I can prune them back six to eight inches above ground level each January? Is it possible to do this yearly? And if so, wouldn't that contain their size?

Oh and if anyone can recommend a good book on rose care I'd appreciate that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Thanks Sonnenblumen. Isn't it true though that I can prune them back six to eight inches above ground level each January? Is it possible to do this yearly? And if so, wouldn't that contain their size?

Oh and if anyone can recommend a good book on rose care I'd appreciate that. :)
    google is your friend, or they amazon.co.uk.

Advertisement