Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing question

Options
  • 15-04-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭

So the last time I imported an antique from outside the EU I shelled out for an extra shotgun cert as it cost next to nothing. This time with the certs costing so much there's no way in hell I'm doing that; the firearm is exempt.
    The problem is, there are no official documents that I can find that go with an import from outside the EU.
    If I just have it sent I know I'll have trouble with customs who don't know the difference between a 200yr old musket and a pulse rifle in the 40 megawatt range, and I doubt the Gardai could be arsed helping me out if it doesn't count as a 'real' firearm.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

This one will test the spell checkers

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

AFAIK any muzzleloading firearm is now considered an antique except, of course, a replica. Buying one of these from an EU country used to require an import cert from the Dept of Justice and an inspection in Ballistics in the Phoenix Park.
    I don't know the preceedure now but you could ring the Dept at 1890 221227.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

SpringerF wrote: »
    This one will test the spell checkers

Contribution appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The problem the last time as I remember it was that while within the EU there were importation documents, when importing from outside the EU the firearms cert was all that was required for the importation.
    Is there an importation cert for non-EU countries that applies to firearms exempt from a cert?

I'd be hesitant to go solely on what Justice say as they don't always sing to the same tune as the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Garda Commissioner's Guidelines:

Page 32:
    'COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS
    Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities. In the absence of a definition for an ‘antique’ firearm, Ballistics section at Garda H.Q. applies the ‘Pre Unitary Cartridge’ rule which appears to conform to international standards. Unitary cartridge ammunition consists of a cartridge - usually metal which contains the primer – the propellant and the bullet within it.
    Modern reproductions of antique firearms are not exempt from firearms legislation.

Some people will occasionally wish to buy an old or antique firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an investment. This may sometimes be regarded as ‘Good Reason’ having regard to all the circumstances'

If it's 200 years old and you keep it only as an ornament or curiosity i.e. you do not have powder and balls and you do not fire it then it is exempt from the firearms acts and does not require a certificate. The importation document from Justice eases your way past customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Kowloon, AFAIK you still need to get premission from your FO to obtain this gun and a written permit from the Super to hold on to it. It is still considered a firearm regardless if you shoot or not.
    Your first port of call would be with your FO.
    I obtained several of these some time ago, before the present changes in the law. I first had to run it passed my FO, applied for an Import Cert, sent the cert to the person I was buying from and he sent the gun on. The FO then took the firearm to the Phoenix Park Ballistics to verify it was the same gun on the Import cert, after that, the Super issued a written permit which is renewed every year.

Advertisement