Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streetfighter.ie

Options
  • 15-04-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so PPC gave me access to this aggeeesss ago, but I got a bit sidetracked. But spent the past week getting to grips with Wordpress and do little bits and pieces and have updated the site a bit;

http://www.streetfighter.ie/

There's not much content there now, but I plan to update it with relevant stuff as it pops up while I keep working on the design and layout. Wordpress actually has a lot of nifty widgets you can install for a whole load of different things. I'm gonna look into getting a good youtube widget for our replay layout etc and get them catagorised properly. The events bit doesn't seem to work too well atm so gonna look on getting that fixed.

Design wise I plan to texture the background a bit so it doesn't look so stark and replace Dudley with some decent character collage etc.

I'm hoping we can use this as a portal for our community, a nice simple URL to point people to and then they can access our forums from there.

Suggestions? C&C? Rants? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

How can one has BlazBlue.IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Xinkai wrote: »
    How can one has BlazBlue.IE?
    Register for a domain at http://www.blacknight.com/domains.html for €14.99

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Do you plan on having the site cover games outside of SF, despite the URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Vyze wrote: »
    Do you plan on having the site cover games outside of SF, despite the URL?

I would assume that it's going to be a general fighting game site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Once there's some more content up on the page you could try asking Capcom for stuff or prizes or whatever for the ranbats. From what I've heard of other sites, Capcom are fairly good for swag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

This is amazing i love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My name is not on PSN or PC name list

I use same user name for all three platforms ; xXRamza126Xx

Other than that, looking great! *thumbs up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Good job on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I've favourited it. Have you considered creating a forum for the website itself,while still linking/associating it with this forum on boards?Maybe have general discussions not relating to SF on it? The anime crowd did that and it turned out well for them. I'd like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Looks great Jim Jim!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Xluna wrote: »
    I've favourited it. Have you considered creating a forum for the website itself,while still linking/associating it with this forum on boards?Maybe have general discussions not relating to SF on it? The anime crowd did that and it turned out well for them. I'd like that myself.
    I was thinking more along the lines of that button just brings you directly here. There's no point at all setting up another forum, we don't need to split a community.

Jim, it's class. May I suggest getting a little icon for the tab? At the moment it's just the wordpress thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Looks v cool Jim. Mobile version there too. Excellent work ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Well played Jim,
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Jim, it's class. May I suggest getting a little icon for the tab? At the moment it's just the wordpress thing.

Good idea, it's called a favicon and there's a generator for wordpress here, I suggest a picture of me with Terry, someone in a headlock, I can send photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Oh right, and since I forgot to mention it in my previous post: Good job, Jim! XD

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Favicon, that's what they're called! I used to know that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Xluna wrote: »

This was brought up before but I would agree with onion on that currently it'd be detrimental to the scene to have a brand new separate forum , splitting off from here.

Having our forum on boards as worked wonders for us so far.

Jim, obviously I've talked to you a good bit about the site but one thing I just thought of , as something to eventually add, is just a tab inviting people to get involved with the community.

Like a "Join the community" page that basically just explains how open we are for everyone to get involved and encourages joining the forums, IRC, posting game tags, attending meet ups etc etc.

We wanna appear as open as possible so some random irish player who may come across the site will feel more positive about getting more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I like the Title image. The .IE is cool lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sisko wrote: »
    This was brought up before but I would agree with onion on that currently it'd be detrimental to the scene to have a brand new separate forum , splitting off from here.

Having our forum on boards as worked wonders for us so far.

Jim, obviously I've talked to you a good bit about the site but one thing I just thought of , as something to eventually add, is just a tab inviting people to get involved with the community.

Like a "Join the community" page that basically just explains how open we are for everyone to get involved and encourages joining the forums, IRC, posting game tags, attending meet ups etc etc.

We wanna appear as open as possible so some random irish player who may come across the site will feel more positive about getting more involved.

Isn't having a site invitation enough?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Great stuff Jim, hopefully this will become the main place for irish players to visit.

I'm sure witht the users it'll have, it won't become another SRK horror-fest!

Cool story brah

/srk :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

This is great.

The community is really picking up some steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah the idea of having a separate forum is terrible and makes no sense in terms of growing the community.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thanks for manning up and doing this Jim.

I've got the password too so I'll help out in any small way I can (the logical thing I think would be to look after the tournament footage).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Well done Jim, great job! Are you gonna put up some of your pictures onto the site? Might be nice to show some faces

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

animaX wrote: »
    Well done Jim, great job! Are you gonna put up some of your pictures onto the site? Might be nice to show some faces
    Yea, atm I'm looking for a decent video and image gallery plugin.

Managed to get events running properly, the only problem is that when I post an event, it doesn't come up as a news post, so I have to post that separately as a news post. Which means two posts for the same thing which will split things like the comments etc. Not a massive deal but it's an irritant nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jim wrote: »

Managed to get events running properly, the only problem is that when I post an event, it doesn't come up as a news post, so I have to post that separately as a news post. Which means two posts for the same thing which will split things like the comments etc. Not a massive deal but it's an irritant nonetheless!
    Interesting facts already!

The site visits have gone up 386.96% :pac:
    94 visits from Ireland, 16 from the UK, 1 from Sweden and 1 from Unknown (Shadowloo).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Jim wrote: »

There are some excellent HTML/flash image galleries available here (more available on the left). Not sure if they can be integrated into wordpress though.

New banner ftw, viper still needs the ginger hair though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Good work Jim I look forward to seeing the site develop.. Not much in the way of suggestions. The playerlist as it is is a bit of a head**** to read through maybe try sectioning it into categories for format or game type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

As part of the move to improve our communication methods, I've created a facebook and twitter for Street Fighter Ireland. I know that wordpress has a widget so we can link the three (facebook and twitter are already linked.)
    I figure the twitter especially could be good as we could do updates through twitter during tournaments and such.

Facebook is : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Fighter-Ireland/118344591511903?ref=sgm

Twitter is : http://twitter.com/StreetFighterIE

I don't know twitter at all so if someone who uses it wants to take over let me know. I'll PM the details. This would especially good if someone has the whole tweet phone thing.

Also as regards the site, I think it would great if we could get some things up there beyond news posts. As an example Vyzes blazblue guide could be good to post up there. Maybe if some of the more knowledgeable players want to do similar strategy guides it would really add to the site.

Advertisement