Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know what this is & does it mean a strike?

• 15-04-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, i know a few DB staff post on here & i was just wondering if they (or anyone else) could shed any light on the signs appearing about town that a bus driver who was a union shop steward who got sacked. Now the date of this meeting is april 1st but given that its SWP (No sense of humour in my opinion) i'd say its anything but a joke. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Seems like a fairly tabloidesque piece. I would assume he wass sacked for something related to his job of driving a bus rather than being a shop steward so why mention it. If he was sacked for being a shop steward then its different of cousre (depending on circumstances obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

I merely ask because i depend on the buses like many others & will badly hamstrung if there were to be a strike or 'unofficial stoppage' like last year; the picture seems to infer (to me anyway) that his sacking was somehow connected to be a shop steward more so than driving a bus but i don't really know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The Skulls wrote: »
    I merely ask because i depend on the buses like many others & will badly hamstrung if there were to be a strike or 'unofficial stoppage' like last year; the picture seems to infer (to me anyway) that his sacking was somehow connected to be a shop steward more so than driving a bus but i don't really know.

I tend to be cynical of posters like that which spring up as they tend to be from a certain wing of unions; it looks quite like the posters for baiting bankers, chasing US troops out of Iraq etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

http://www.swp.ie/pdfs/NBRU%20Notices%20&%20Replies%20from%20driver%20Eugene%20Mc%20Donagh.pdf

I would say "Watch this space" there may well be more disruption depending on how aggreived Harristown feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Looks like the official union response was 'looks like you're wrong, tough', which I wasn't expecting. That PDF is still a little short on details though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

It certainly looks the the driver/rep in question made a fatal error of judgement alright. Does anyone think he was unfairly dismissed? Singled out? Or did he get his just desserts for almost crippling Dublin city. I for one think he shouldn't be at all suprised to have been sacked but will he colleagues feel the same way & 'down tools?' Or do they actually care? Reading the documents posted by Spook would seem that the man has a somewhat warped grasp on the truth to say the least. I suppose when you're desperate you believe anything & resort to anything. Anyone any opinions? I personally DON'T want to see another strike or unofficial stoppage or whatever they called it but would it come to that over one man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I would think that as he was sacked nearly a month ago and nothing has happened yet that nothing will happen now.

I wonder if he attended many of these resident meetings on company time? The fact that the union didn't support him would indicate that something else is going on not referred to on the swp site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So, Aer Lingus and Dublin Bus management appear to have grown a pair, now we just need the government to do the same to those that would seek to damage the state.

Workers have rights to strike, fair enough, but unofficial strikes etc. are not acceptable and I'm actually glad this lad had his bluff called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Without knowing the full facts (from both sides) how can anyone on an internet forum make a judgement on this case.

There are procedures to deal with these sort of things and frankly it is far better to leave theses cases to them.

Advertisement