Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good views for sunsets

Options
  • 15-04-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

So with this cloud of volcanic ash heading our way apparently we are in for some spectacular sunsets in the next few days...

Does anyone have recommendations for good sunset viewpoints in Limerick pref. away from buildings cause I'd like to get some nice photos?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

So with this cloud of volcanic ash heading our way apparently we are in for some spectacular sunsets in the next few days...

Does anyone have recommendations for good sunset viewpoints in Limerick pref. away from buildings cause I'd like to get some nice photos?

Thanks!

Gallows Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Wheres that?! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cratloe(the golf ball)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

was thinking about there....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Would the ash be having an affect already because this evenings sunset was one of the most spectacular I've seen in a long time. A massive ball of red and orange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

You can get some nice shots of Carrigogunnell
    or Shannon estuary. Particular from the top of Newtown Hill

And its a lot easier to get to! only 5 min from middle of town!

IMGP1809.JPG?imgmax=800

Took This one this evening ( in a hurry ) Will take some more over the next few days.

sunset.jpg?imgmax=800

Will Try and make Gallows hill as well though - Amazing View from there!

IMGP3678_79_80_tonemapped.jpg?imgmax=800

The only problem with using Gallows hill is that the sun sets over the estuary side not over the city.

So you would be shooting from this direction.

IMGP3656_7_5_tonemapped.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Nice shots CCSL.
    Did you use a filter or edit the first photo.
    I was late out today so the sun had already gone down. Sky didn't look dramatic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I understand you cant drive all the way upto the golf balls anymore?? Theres some kind of barricade now? Useda be able to drive up there a few yrs ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I understand you cant drive all the way upto the golf balls anymore?? Theres some kind of barricade now? Useda be able to drive up there a few yrs ago...

You can drive to within about 50m of the "Golf Ball".

CCSL.........Nice pics, what settings did you use for the castle?

phog wrote: »

CCSL.........Nice pics, what settings did you use for the castle?

Center weighted exposure and then applied a graduated filter in Picasa.

Totally underrated application - Google Picasa does almost everything I need don't have to go into photoshop anywhere near as often and its Free!!

While im on the subject of cool free photo software - Check out Microsoft ICE

New free software from Microsoft for creating panorama shots - Really good and supports loads of export formats. Just playing around with it for
    creating Photosynths like [ This ] ( you might need to install silverlight to view it )
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Judging by the weather forecast it seems a shot of the sunrise (east) might be more colourful.
    Won't be doing that then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I've always been meaning to take a drive up by the golfball, could some1 tell me how to get to it tho :o

alan1990 wrote: »
    I've always been meaning to take a drive up by the golfball, could some1 tell me how to get to it tho :o

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=52.723817,-8.71233&num=1&t=h&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=52.723064,-8.710141&spn=0.017311,0.045447&z=15

That should get you there.

If you are going to walk past the golfball for photos wear hiking boots or wellies its very muddy and soft up there. May have dried up a bit but I wouldnt bet on it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I was up there today, its relatively dry for a change.

alan1990 wrote: »

The easiest way is from the city, head out Shelbourne Rd, straight thu' Hassett's X, turn left at Watchhouse X, out past Moyross. Continue on this road and take the 2nd turn to the left (that's about 7Km from Watchouse X). This road will take you past the golf ball (on your left) as you descend you come to a Y junction, the sharp left will bring you down to the back gate of Cratloe Woods and then down to the back road from LIT to Cratloe. Back up at the Y junction, stay on the main road (straight thu') will bring down to Cratloe Wood main entrance and car park and eventually down onto the Cratloe/Sixmilebridge Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

phog wrote: »

Thats what I thought. Obviously the person who told me it was blocked off now was on drugs or something. :rolleyes:

Amazing view of the Shannon estuary up there, you might even see Ballybunion on a clear day! Well almost...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

well tbf to whoever told you, you used be able to drive right up to it, and they did put a barricade up in the past 2 years , so you just park around there now and stroll the rest of the way, its not exactly a long walk though, as someone else said, about 50m.

The sunset today was cool!:cool:

Im thinking of heading up there tomorrow evening not long before sunset. Will give me a chance to try out my new camera. Still figuring everything out even though its like my older ones just has a cazillion more options!:eek:

If I get any decent results will post them here. ;)

I was heading up there last night and got a puncture :mad: see my post looking for a repair service.

Heading to Galway now for the Connacht game, might try and get a few sunst pics of Galway bay after the game.

BTW - if you are heading up, you should try go from the Cappantymore side as you'll be facing the river and sunset as you drive over the top and start your descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just back from a drive up to the golf ball! Wow, it was amazing!! The road up and down was so nice to drive and the view from the top of the sun setting and the estuary were amazing!! I'll defo be up there a few more times in the near future :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement