Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My passport not giving back info!

• 15-04-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have a WD My Passport, onto which I backed-up my entire computer. Lucky I did, because the following week the machine got a virus and had to be cleaned down. When I went to retrieve the goods from My Passport, everything came back OK except Outlook Express. All my contacts and messages are nowhere to be found. When I try to open the file, FileCure by Pareto comes up and takes over! They want $29.99 before they let me open the file. What can I do? I've been on to WD, but no joy there. I seem to be getting automatic responses with a load of very weird questions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

What file are you trying to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Outlook Express!

This one?
    C\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

No. I can open that one. It's the one that's been imported from My Passport, and reads Outlook Office Data File 265KB. I've been back to where I bought it, and he's shown me where it is, but has been unable to open it, as he doesn't have the software to open it. Disaster. All my contacts are there, including a vip! e-mail.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No. I can open that one. It's the one that's been imported from My Passport, and reads Outlook Office Data File 265KB. I've been back to where I bought it, and he's shown me where it is, but has been unable to open it, as he doesn't have the software to open it. Disaster. All my contacts are there, including a vip! e-mail.

You mean it's a .PST file?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, Filecure looks like a scam program, almost malware. I suggest removing it.

For Outlook Express, try moving the actual folders to a clean install of OE and see if they'll open there.

Make sure show hidden files is enabled under Windows Explorer under Tools->Folder Options->Views->Show Hidden Files and Folders The DBX files that Outlook Express uses are located in: c:\ (or whatever drive windows resides on) Documents and Settings\ Username (your username)\ Application Data\ Identities\ GUID Identifier (random string like {3B0FA092-2222-1111-A1B2-111A1AA1AAA11} \Microsoft Outlook Express

Try to import data from outlook express: file-import

thanks for all suggestions. However, under Internet Explorer, I can't find folder options under tools. I've tried sending the folder to my outlook box, but it couldn't open, it said the files were corrupt. Looks like I've wasted a lot of money on a gadget that's not really reliable! and just have to try and re-construct my Contacts. Im using XP if that's any help. Couldn't get very far either with the DBX files. Kept coming to a dead-end

Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer

Is it not Windows Internet Explorer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The browser's full name is technically that but it is referred to as internet explorer or IE.
    You were told to open windows explorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

No, your thinking of Microsoft Internet Explorer (which you use for surfing the net)... you want Windows Explorer, which is used (primarily) for looking at files on the local disks on your computer.

What operating system are you using? If it's Windows XP, you can start Windows Explorer by clicking:
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - Windows Explorer.
    or.
    Press and hold the Windows Key on your Keyboard, and press the E key.

Brian

Many thanks everybody. Still the same thing. I located Outlook through Windows explorer and the usual three files are there, Archive, Archive 1 and Office Data File, which by their very names seem to be the missing ones, but I cannot open them. Thanks for the advise about FileCure, I've removed it.

Advertisement