Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital D RTE 1

• 15-04-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

All about cycling in dublin tonight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its at 19:00 btw, RTE 1. You have 20 mins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Couriers do my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

..shyte missed the start of it ...will it be on rte player..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yup, it goes on the Iplayer.

Pretty positive show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That was a very nice surprise. Very positive in outlook. None of the "dicing with death" focus that made the Primetime report last year so dreary.

Also, it was a novel and informative (for the layman) approach to look at the different "bike cultures" (for want of a better term; apologies to bikesnobnyc). Novel for RTE anyway!

Edit: I just emailed RTE to congratulate them on making a programme about cycling that was positive in outlook and presentation. Maybe they'll change their general approach if they think that viewers want something other than
    oflahero wrote: »
    Danger, danger, danger, death, danger, misery, daily battle.

capitald@rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I thought that was good.

The only negative for me was the guy from Cycle Super Store's comments regarding the 5 year restriction on the cycle to work scheme. He reckoned it was too restrictive because (and I'm paraphrasing): "The bike could be stolen or damaged".

Possibly true, but if he's looking for more business he could have gone with: "As people get into cycling more, they might want to upgrade to a sportier bike, or a cargo bike if they're very enlightened'.

Anything other than highlighting the stolen/ damaged argument.

But apart from that 'jarring' with me, I thought it was good.

DFD*

*DoneFindingDe-negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

It makes a pleasant change for a program on cycling to be so positive. It was a good show. Well done to RTE.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

Couriers do my head in.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Couriers do my head in.

Care to enlighten us as to why ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

They are the taxi drivers of the bike world.

My wife wondered whether the editors were being mischievous by having the young fellas talking about "doing tricks" down alleyways, followed by a close up of the street sign "Love Lane".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I facepalmed somewhat at the number of times where they were talking about how great the dublin bike scheme was for getting around, while showing DB users cycling precisely where they're not supposed to.

This is exactly why it's not our fault - *everyone* thinks that it's OK to break the law on a bike, but they also like bitch about other people doing it.

I spotted that as well, @seamus. One DB-user cycling over the Sean O'Casey pedestrian bridge (I think it was), some salmoning ...

There was law-breaking in evidence everywhere in it really, based on the letter of the law. For example, the cargo-cycle courier at the start was technically breaking the law on the Samuel Beckett bridge, since he wasn't using the cycle track. He's quite right not to use it, of course.

Funnily enough, I find myself more inclined to flout minor traffic laws when on a DB than when on my own bike. I fight the impulse, but it's strangely stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 natdublin

They are the taxi drivers of the bike world.

This makes absolutely no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

natdublin wrote: »
    This makes absolutely no sense.

yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 natdublin

still unsure as to why these two groups are so comparable..

Advertisement