Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my puppy ever stop crying from 6am

Options
  • 15-04-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Well as the title says I have a lovely puppy coming on 5 months old Molly and she very good except this crying every morning from 6am and wont stop till I get up to her.Will she ever sleep till 7 even?She doesnt cry when I put her to bed just the morning.Oh I have blinds pulled to trick her to thinking its nite not working.Just looking for some tips really on maybe getting her to lie on.Sorry if this was covered already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

as she gets older she will sleep longer what time are you putting her to bed at ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Our pup starts crying every morning, not until after 8 am though.

Have you tried putting her to bed later? Or maybe feeding her earlier in the evening and making sure she goes to the toilet before she goes to bed?

my pup is about the same age and i make sure he pees at about 11ish then he will sleep untill 7:45-9 (i tend to get him up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Yeah she might just need to pee. Or she might just be lonely! She'll grow out of it I'm sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks for the quick replies Molly goes to bed at 10.As for the food I just let her graze as she likes. I was told shes to young to be fed morning and evening.Will start that when she 6 months.Id just like a lie on maybe till 7.30:(

• Advertisement

texas star wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies Molly goes to bed at 10.As for the food I just let her graze as she likes. I was told shes to young to be fed morning and evening.Will start that when she 6 months.Id just like a lie on maybe till 7.30:(
    wake her up at 11-1130 to pee you should be feeding her 3 times a day and drop to twicw a day at about 8 months , what breed is she ??? (plus we would all like pics )

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I agree with the rest of the gys, bring the pup out late as you can for a pee. Should sleep better during the night then. On a lighter note I was thinking that you should move the clock out of the room, perhaps that would help. Sorry could not help it

Hey Molly ****zu cross and Im afraid I dont know how to upload pictures on to Boards.If anyone would like to Pm me how to do it no probs.Im in work all day so I leave her the treat ball and her food and water till lunch then I pop in on my lunch to have a playtime.So its 8 months for feeding in the morning then evening thanks for that.I dont want the the poor blighter to go hungry;)

So its 8 months for feeding in the morning then evening thanks for that.I dont want the the poor blighter to go hungry;)
    if you are not there most of the day i would stick to the treat balls to keep the puppy amused (and stop the chewing of your stuff)

Thanks for that Molly has it worked out already how to open the slot to make it bigger to get the treats out within 2 mins of me walking out of the kitchen.I have her sitting,given the paw and beg on 2 hind legs.Now i have to face my fear of her playing with other dogs.Im terrified they are going to fight.I watched the dog whisper till Im blue in the face.When a dog is off the lead and comes over I freak and scoop her up which I know isnt the right thing to do but im so nervous and she grand she wasnt to play...how do I get over that,sorry going off topic.But im learning every day from everyones tips,thanks;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If you take her out later for a pee , then you should hold tough a few mornings in a row and dont come down till the crying stops.
    You need to break the cycle of puppy cries and you come down to her.

Thanks for that Molly has it worked out already how to open the slot to make it bigger to get the treats out within 2 mins of me walking out of the kitchen..
    There are loads of other toy's out there Kongs are one of the better known you can pretty much stuff them and toys like them with anything it was reccomended to me to stuff it with wet dog nuts the place it in the freezer

Now i have to face my fear of her playing with other dogs.Im terrified they are going to fight...
    Drop dog training ireland an email i take my fella there for puppy class the staff watch the and make sure they learn to play nice :D

how do I get over that,
    by going to classes when dogs play it looks rough but really it is not it really helps when some one is there to say yes that is good or no that is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its not good to let dogs graze, she should be feeding at set mealtimes as dogs thrive on routine. 3 meals a day at the moment is best for her.

andreac wrote: »
    Its not good to let dogs graze, she should be feeding at set mealtimes as dogs thrive on routine. 3 meals a day at the moment is best for her.
    there is a difference between grazing and toys that make them wotk for it , some people i know only feed threw toys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

stick the radio on..

my brother does that with his pup.

and she doesnt cry..

seems to think theres people around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

there is a difference between grazing and toys that make them wotk for it , some people i know only feed threw toys

The op said they let the pup graze so thats why i said its not a good idea to let the pup do that. Pups should be fed at set times. If they want to use a treat ball then some of the food from their daily allowance should be used for this but id def recommend set meal times along with the treat ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

There are no health benefits to grazing or not, but feeding at regular mealtimes makes keeping a schedule easier for most people, which is one of the reasons it's often recommended. Also, in multidog households, if you allow grazing by all you may end up with one skinny and one fat dog! Feeding with treat balls etc during the day can be a great way to keep your pup out of trouble- do remember not to over feed as you can end up with a porky puppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

I would definately recommend a puppy class. That will help with your nerves. I also learned last night at puppy class that grazing is not good for puppies. They wont go hungry, but they should have to work for their food so the kongs are great.
    Back to the original topic. My pup was crying in the morning at about 7am but thankfully hes stopped. One of the people at the class had a similar problem to you and the teacher said do not let the pup out if its crying. It will only perpetuate the behaviour. If she stops for even 5 secs then start praising it immediately and then let it out. Does it stop when you come into the room?

Thanks for all the help will definatly look into the classes.When I do take her out other dogs/pups just jump on her head.A big yes for when I come into the room she does stop crying.This morning 6 till 7.30 constant crying then I had to get up for work so she stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

A big yes for when I come into the room she does stop crying.This morning 6 till 7.30 constant crying then I had to get up for work so she stopped.
    Does she sleep in a crate? If not, this might be a good idea. Mine sleeps in his crate. If he's crying and I come in, he'll stop, then I ignore him and go about my business in the kitchen for a few minutes then I let him out, so he's been quite for a while and associates being quite with being let out. Or if he starts crying I ignore hime until he stops and then let him out as soon as he does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

When she was younger & you were house training her by any chance was 6am one of your set times to get up & let her out to the loo?

If so it could be that she still goes by that routine & therefore cries to let you know it's time to get up or that she wants something... also being a Shih Tzu cross she could very well have the Shih Tzu whining trait ... which I hope not cos that can be head wrecking!

Here she is...

Advertisement