Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quack!

Options
  • 15-04-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

We have a pond which has just been invaded by two drakes and a duck. They're extremely tame, and fearless of humans. When we open the back door, they come running over to us for food. We live in Dublin, so we assume they grew up in parks and have been around humans their whole lives. Even the lawnmower didn't really phase them.

The duck laid an egg near the pond the other day, but the parents neglected it and it was broken open by a magpie within the day. No eggs since then.

We have two cats who periodically show interest in the ducks, but basically ignore them and leave them alone. Obviously if duckings were brought onto the scene, things would change. We're hoping the ducks realise this.

We give the ducks bits of bread, and the occasional handful of bran flakes. We have no plans for keeping them, but if they want to live in the garden they're welcome, and we will throw them the odd bit of food.

What I'm wondering is, is feeding them bread and (unsweetened, unsalted) cereal likely to be bad for them? Obviously, they leave during the day and forage for themselves, but in the same way that you're not supposed to feed chocolate to dogs, I'm wondering if there's anything we shouldn't be giving to these ducks. We're happy to help them out, but I don't want to give them food if it's going to hurt them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've heard that bread isn't the best for them. If you wanted to give them some treats, then you can get bird seed pretty cheap. I'm not sure how good that is for them but hopefully someone here can help.

I'd love to have ducks visiting me, that'd be so lovely :) I'm jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Found this link on a google search...it may be of help http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html#park I know that the lough in Cork had problems with their wild birds- ducks, swans etc due to ppl feeding them bread....

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I keep a couple of ducks as well as some hens & feed them scraps of all sorts, including bread. Ducks seem to prefer cooked potato to anything, (they love cold chips), also leftover cooked rice or pasta, breakfast cereal, especially porridge. And they forage for peanuts & seeds under the bird feeders. They will also help to clear your garden of slugs & snails ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Fair enough. I guess the moral of the story is to feed them a bit of everything, but not to feed them too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That is so cool. I would love if ducks came and squatted in my garden. Enjoy them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

My ma called them Dillith, Dagmar and Dietmar. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Fremen wrote: »
    Fair enough. I guess the moral of the story is to feed them a bit of everything, but not to feed them too much.

Sounds good:)

Advertisement