Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox not working

• 15-04-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Ive just tried to use firefox and its not working. The last time I used it was before I installed Chrome a few months ago. Could the problem be related to Chrome ?

I just get a blank white page when I try view websites. Ive tried reinstalling and have checked settings but cant find anything unusual.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

No takers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Sorry Tusky - I'm no help I'm afraid - I use Firefox all the time and it's fine. I would have suggested uninstalling and then re-installing, but you seem to have done that - perhaps one of the 'techies' can help....

pjmn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

I had trouble with mine over the last couple of days too.See if you can open Firefox in safe mode.It should be an option under programs/firefox/safemode.

There's some conflict with AVG on mine because when I disabled this addon,it runs.

Wont start in safe mode. Uninstalled AVG but it didnt do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Try portable firefox, which should start with default settings regardless of previous installations etc.

If that works, then you need to fully un-install your firefox installation then install a fresh one.

From http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_3.html
    ... to completely remove all traces of Firefox from your system for whatever reason, follow these steps:

1. Backup your bookmarks as a Bookmarks.html file. In Firefox 2 go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select File>Export. In Firefox 3, go to the Bookmarks menu, select 'Organize Bookmarks', then select 'Import and Backup'>'Export HTML'. Alternatively you can export bookmarks in .JSON format by selecting 'Import and Backup'>Backup. The difference between .HTML and .JSON Bookmark files is explained in more detail at the beginning of the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide. If in doubt, export your Bookmarks in both formats.

2. Note down any saved passwords you may wish to keep. Under the Tools>Options menu in Firefox, go to the Security tab and click the 'Saved Passwords' button. Click the 'Show Passwords' button at the bottom of this box and all your saved login details for various sites will be shown.

3. Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP; or Control Panel>Programs & Features in Windows Vista/7, and if a 'Mozilla Firefox' entry (or similar) exists, select it and click the Change/Remove or Uninstall button and uninstall it. During uninstallation, I recommend ticking the 'Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations' box as well - this will delete all of your bookmarks and saved settings, so make sure you've backed up your bookmarks as covered in step 1, and also note down any passwords which you might otherwise forget as covered in step 2.

4. Go to your \Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox directory and delete it and all of its contents if it still exists.

5. To remove all Firefox profile data, delete the following directories if they still exist:

In Windows XP -

\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla

\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

In Windows Vista and 7 -

\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla

\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\

6. Find and remove all Firefox/Mozilla-related entries in the Windows Registry. Using the Windows Registry Editor (Start>Run>Regedit), delete any of the following keys if they exist - that is, right click on their name in the left pane of Registry Editor and select Delete. If you are not confident with using the Registry Editor, see the Windows Registry chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for more detailed instructions.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\firefox.exe]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MozillaPlugins]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxHTML]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FirefoxURL]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

for deleting the registry values, i'd go with CCleaner to get rid of them. it'd be safer than digging in the registry yourself. it also has the option to backup the registry if anything goes wrong.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Try portable firefox, which should start with default settings regardless of previous installations etc.

If that works, then you need to fully un-install your firefox installation then install a fresh one.

From http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_3.html

The portable firefox worked fine. Tried the walkthrough but it didnt work. Maybe I didnt get all the register entries or something.

How would you use ccleaner to do it ?

run ccleaner (it should run as an administrator so give it permission if you're using vista or 7), click on the "registry" tab on the right. click "scan for issues" and if it's found any inconsisties, click on "fix selected issues". it should ask you do you want to backup the registry. click yes and save to a location. if it doesn't ask, go to options->advanced->check "show prompt to backup registry issues".

this was done using version 2.28.1091, i think there's a new version out but it should be the same.

EDIT: you could also use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Firefox and it'll do a scan for any remaining files leftover that weren't got rid of in Firefox's built-in uninstaller. Download.com link

whiteman19 wrote: »
    run ccleaner (it should run as an administrator so give it permission if you're using vista or 7), click on the "registry" tab on the right. click "scan for issues" and if it's found any inconsisties, click on "fix selected issues". it should ask you do you want to backup the registry. click yes and save to a location. if it doesn't ask, go to options->advanced->check "show prompt to backup registry issues".

this was done using version 2.28.1091, i think there's a new version out but it should be the same.

EDIT: you could also use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Firefox and it'll do a scan for any remaining files leftover that weren't got rid of in Firefox's built-in uninstaller. Download.com link

First of all - appreciate the help!

I used the revo to uninstall and delete all leftovers, reinstalled firefox but its still not working :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Perhaps try a system restore.

• Advertisement

Perhaps try a system restore.

I doubt OP has a system restore going back a few months when the problem started.
    I'm not sure if the problem could be related to Chrome, but you could try uninstalling it and trying firefox. use revo to get rid of chrome's traces if ya do.
    is there any problems with Internet Explorer, or is just firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Uninstall chrome

Reinstall AVG and make sure firefox is added to the applications in the firewall that you want to allow.

Advertisement