Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy has weird fits

Options
  • 15-04-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi there. We got a collie pup two months ago. He has settled very well. Trained etc. However on three occasions while he has been sitting quietly he has suddenly gone mad. He just runs around barking appearing very scared. Hides behind couch and will not react to us. It is ike he is getting some kind of fit. Very scary when it happens. He like a different dog. Anybody else experience anything similar with their dog or any explanations as to why it is happening? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can you think of anything that might be triggering it?

Car driving by, insect buzzing, noises on the telly, washing machine going into spin cycle ...something in the background that you hardly notice (anymore) but that sets the dog off ..that could do it.

We had a puppy that did the same every now and then ...for no reason ...but she turned out not to be quite right in the head.
    Nothing serious or dangerous, thankfully ...just a bit slow or absent sometimes now that she has calmed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Maybe he can hear something you can't. I'm not sure with dogs, but I know with other animals (rabbits/guinea pigs) they can sometimes, for seemingly no reason, just suddenly stop what they're doing and then either run around like mad, or run somewhere to hide. It's like they have heard something scary. Apparently TVs make high pitched noises we can't hear that will scare a rabbit, so maybe something similar with dogs. So I'd probably think he heard something that scared him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of mine (a rescue) has panic attacks. He used to cower in corners, shake uncontrollably, pee all over himself and sometimes vomit because he was so afraid. I get panic attacks sometimes (haven't had one in a while) and I thought what was happening to him looked very similar to the ones I was having (with the addition of peeing and vomiting in his case!). I asked the vet and a behaviourist and both agreed that they were panic attacks that he was (and still is) having. We were told to find triggers and to let him have a safe place to go when he gets frightened and panics.

We figured out that it was the oven that triggered them, or cooking in general. We realised it when we were making dinner and he was cowering against a corner by the door. Someone opened the door, bumped off him, he yelped/screamed (he wasn't hurt by the door) and vomited all over the place. We watched him the next few evenings that we were making dinner and it was like clockwork - every time we were cooking, particularly with the oven, he would freak out with fear.

I can't imagine what happened to him before we got him (we adopted him at 6 months) but if the oven is on he is still very afraid of it. We started comforting him when we could see he was starting to seize up with fear and put him into one of the beds - the dog beds are in the kitchen. We go over and give him a pet/rub or two when he is in the bed but in general leave him alone when he is in his "safe place". Now, when we cook he just goes into bed and generally stays calm. We initially tried putting him out of the room but he didn't react well to being on his own when he was so scared so we settled for the bed. He does seem much calmer when he goes in there and doesn't tense up when we go near him (at the start he would literally pee himself if we went over to him while he was having an attack).

Sometimes when we go into the sitting room after dinner he will stay in the kitchen in his "safe place" because he is still afraid. We generally carry him in with us and after a little bit he goes back normal. It is very strange because he doesn't have any fear of the oven when it isn't on. All I can think of is that something happened to him involving an oven or something that sounds/smells like our oven. When he first arrived he was nervous (still is but has really improved, has much more confidence but I would not describe him as a confident dog), afraid on walks, difficult to house train, destructive when separated (still it but not as bad) and generally a very anxious dog. He has improved hugely but is still antsy and has the occasional freak out.

Sorry for long post but I know exactly what you mean by "He is like a different dog". All I can advise you to do is try to find out what triggers his episodes and give him somewhere to go when he gets afraid. Because your chap is still a pup you may be able to nip the problem in the bud before it becomes a serious problem. Have you tried asking a behaviourist or a trainer about it? They may be able to give you some advise on it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Poor dog! How long have you had him lorebringer? Hope he will eventually get over the panics.

I also had a rescue (well - actually a stray I kept feeding) as a child who used to have panic attacks/fits and take off running around in a total frenzy. Unfortunately during one of these panics he bit me, so my parents had him put down as they reckoned he was insane. Looking back on it now I think he MAY have been able to recover, given enough time. Or at least we could have just accommodated his panics. (Different times then though - no pet psychologists existed then!) I would know now not to approach a panicking dog, but as a child I thought I could calm him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

i would actually bring him to the vets first to rule out any physical problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

MsFifers wrote: »
    Poor dog! How long have you had him lorebringer? Hope he will eventually get over the panics.

Thanks :) We have now had him a year and a bit. He really has improved but still has his moments. He doesn't "freak out" (running around etc.) just becomes very anxious and panics, don't know what is going on in his little head!
    i would actually bring him to the vets first to rule out any physical problems

I also meant to, just in the off chance that there is something physically wrong. Many vets will be able to adivise you on how to aproach behaviour problems too, so always worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Might be best to rule out a physical problem by going to a vets. One thing to remember is that you may be reinforcing the scared behaviour if you offer him comfort and cuddles right when he starts off (ie he displays a type of behaviour and you reward him for it by giving attention/cuddles/etc). It may be best to go on with your normal routine (assuming he's not in any physical pain or doesn't need vet care) and try not to reinforce his fear. I remember when I was a kid our dog was terrified of thunder and lightning and came and hid behind any of the family who was around- we rewarded the behaviour with lots of cuddles etc- by the end of her life, she was even scared of camera flashes!
    IF the vet rules out a physical prob, a consult with a good behaviourist might be able to give you some tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate them. Think it would be no harm so to go to the vet to rule out physical problems.

Advertisement