Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Aftercare.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

24 hrs is strange alright.where did ya get it done?
    nice btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

That's cool, take off the bandage/cling film off now, did the artist give you anything to use on it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

aflib wrote: »
    24 hrs is strange alright.where did ya get it done?
    nice btw

Got it done in a place called Paradise in Longford town.

Yeah I was thinking that it was strange. I have cream and all here for it, I want to give it a decent clean in anyway before bed and came across a few sites saying do not cover it cos it will heal quicker with the air etc.

Sounds like youre all sorted, dont scrub the new tattoo when cleaning it and just let the water run over it, dont spray it directly on it. When you sleep, sleep with your arm above the duvet if at all possible, you dont want it sticking to your bedsheets and drying out over night :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like youre all sorted, dont scrub the new tattoo when cleaning it and just let the water run over it, dont spray it directly on it. When you sleep, sleep with your arm above the duvet if at all possible, you dont want it sticking to your bedsheets and drying out over night :/

Cheers mate, I remember all that from the one I got about 8 years ago. I just thought it was weird when he said keep it on for 24 hours.

I nearly died when he said no drinking for 4 days!! Thank god he said its grand to drink vodka tho.... relief!

• Advertisement

:S

I know youre not supposed to drink BEFORE you get a tattoo.. but after? not so sure :confused: best wait for more replys before ya go on the tear :)

:S

I know youre not supposed to drink BEFORE you get a tattoo.. but after? not so sure :confused: best wait for more replys before ya go on the tear :)

Ah I know beers are a big no no and i have seen it online that vodka is okay to drink.
    Sure i drank before, during and after my first tattoo and all was well with that one.

Ok, yeah its do-able, but not advised. Alcohol thins out your blood, drinking before a tattoo means that your blood will have a harder time clotting and you'll bleed more, making everythin a bit messier. Also, you'll get de-hydrated, which could dry out your tattoo and in your drunken state, you may well forget about it.
    Add onto the bold print, the fact that while drunk, you know yourself, youre not too aware of everythin goin on, you could seriously damage your brand new tattoo.
    Its best to steer clear of drink me thinks. Im sure ya can sit out one weekend in favour of a nice clean tattoo for life, cant ya?

Ok, yeah its do-able, but not advised. Alcohol thins out your blood, drinking before a tattoo means that your blood will have a harder time clotting and you'll bleed more, making everythin a bit messier. Also, you'll get de-hydrated, which could dry out your tattoo and in your drunken state, you may well forget about it.
    Add onto the bold print, the fact that while drunk, you know yourself, youre not too aware of everythin goin on, you could seriously damage your brand new tattoo.
    Its best to steer clear of drink me thinks. Im sure ya can sit out one weekend in favour of a nice clean tattoo for life, cant ya?

Ah I don't get too messy so its all good. I just have a few and I'm sorted.

If you wanna do it go ahead, just make sure ya dont take a knock to the arm, not only will it be extra sore, but bruising can lead to alot more ink being rejected form the skin than usual. Take it easy, man.

• Advertisement

If you wanna do it go ahead, just make sure ya dont take a knock to the arm, not only will it be extra sore, but bruising can lead to alot more ink being rejected form the skin than usual. Take it easy, man.

Cheers for the advise. Oh I will be minding it like a baby over the next while don't worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

Does anyone have advice on back tattoos and sleeping positions? Obviously sleeping on one's side or tummy would be ideal to prevent bed clothes from sticking... but I like to move around in my sleep. :o

Try your best not to sleep on your back.

Thanks Tangy... how long till I can sleep on my back? :)

You'll know yourself just by the look of it, when you stop being itchy and flakey, its a sure sign that youre almost finished healing. Generally speaking, you'll be grand when it comes to the 3-4 week mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Guys,

Got this little beauty earlier on today:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs446.ash1/24584_1391713763217_1543339959_956434_5933813_n.jpg

Tattoo artist said leave the bandage on for 24 hours. Everywhere i look online says an hour or 2 max. Can someone give me some advice on the aftercare please?

Thanking you all,
    Jonny

Do not leave the bandage on for 24 hours.
    Leave it covered for 2 hours. Take off bandage and rinse with luke warm water and then cool water. Pat dry to avoid irritation. Apply a thin layer of after care, massaging it well into the tattoo. Never over apply aftercare as this will suffocate the tattoo, prolong healing and soften the scab making it prone to easy knocking off. Try to apply the after care about 3 times a day. It's never smart to under or over apply after care. I'd advise against swimming/bathing for atleast 2 weeks especially avoiding chlorinated swimming pools, as the chlorine has been known to bleach the tattoo ink. Showering is obviously encouraged, and patting dry the tattooed area is always a hell of alot smarter/less painful than rubbing a freshly tattooed area dry.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Marina-anseo

Got my first tattoo last wednesday, I've followed the suggested after care perfectly, wash twice a day and apply bepanthen 3 - 4 times daily. Its now a bit flaky and my lower back is quite stiff. Will there end up being patches without colour because of the flaking? Is the stiff back normal?

I'd say your stiff back is down to the scab perhaps being quite heavy. Your after care instructions seem accurate. The first week is for me personally, the most uncomfortable.
    The tattooed area feels quite tender (similar to heavy sunburn would feel) and when the scabbing starts, you feel very limited in how you go about things.
    I do not have my lower back tattooed, but I have my stomach tattooed and bending down can be quite the task. The feelings you are feeling should pass within the next few days.
    Alot of people suffer from bruising, swelling and general discomfort in the first few weeks after getting a tattoo. Just try and be patient for the next week or two.
    If you are still suffering from a stiff back after the tattoo is fully healed, I would contact your tattooist straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Marina-anseo

Thank you Lornen, you've put my mind at ease, just wanted to make sure its normal healing process. :)

No problem at all Marina! The only stupid questions, are the ones you don't ask! All the best with the healing of your tattoo :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

Got my first tattoo last wednesday, I've followed the suggested after care perfectly, wash twice a day and apply bepanthen 3 - 4 times daily. Its now a bit flaky and my lower back is quite stiff. Will there end up being patches without colour because of the flaking? Is the stiff back normal?

Flaking is normal, and you're minding it so I wouldn't worry at all.
    As for your back feeling stiff, I find that if I was tensed up while getting tattooed then I would be stiff from doing that for a few days afterwards.
    So if you were tense or maybe just sitting uncomfortably while getting it done that could explain your stiff back.

I have yet another silly question... what is the best clothing to wear to bed after getting a back tattoo? :o The last 2 nights it was wrapped so I didn't have to think about it (I know that it isn't advised to have it wrapped so often, but I was travelling by plane last night, so didn't have much choice.)

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

I would just wear a baggy cotton t-shirt and wear it inside-out so the seams won't be irritating

Cheers Mig. :)

I would recommend loose fitted clothing, nothing that will stick to the tattoo. the good thing is that your tattoo's scab should form within 2-4 days of getting it done, so your clothes shouldn't stick to it after the scab forms. To prevent catching the scab off clothes fibers, loose fitting tshirts/trousers again. If the tattoo is on your lower back, make sure to keep high waist bands off it, as well as trousers which are notorious for catching the scab of your tattoo in it's coarse fibers.

Not exactly a tattoo expert but a tip I saw when researching aftercare for my own was to not sleep topless etc cause if your t-shirt ends up sticking to the tattoo you can just jump in the shower with it on to take it off.

Yeah alot of people tend to go topless and then they get stuck to the bed sheets, and as you can imagine, it's alot easier popping into the shower to unstick the tshirt, but the matress covers? Not as easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When I got my back done, I slept on my stomach, but I did carefully wash with anti-bacterial soap, and applied bepanthen, and for the first couple of nights, I re-covered the tattoo with cling-film, and carried out the aftercare again first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ianoleader

Hey got a question do you always peel and scab up because I haven't yet in either case but I am quite itchy but not really on tattoo unless I am at work with my t-shirt on aswell as my shirt other wise it's around the area of tattoo but not on tattoo it is my first tattoo aswell so all info would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

By 'scabbing', people generally mean the way that the tattoo when healing will shed several layers of skin in quite rapid succession, so you will get little hardened bits of skin that peel off gradually.

If you get actual scabs, there's something wrong.

What are you doing for your tattoo aftercare?

Advertisement