Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow news day...

• 15-04-2010 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I mentioned here a while back how I spotted padded bra and matching knicker sets for 10-year-olds in Dunnes, and today on the front of the Sun: "Penneys in sicko selling padded bras for children shock" and the intro made mention of "concerns that the retailer is producing products that will attract sicko paedos!"

Salaciousness to sell newspapers aside, is it not completely incorrect to suggest that paedophiles would be attracted in any way to children emulating adults? Is it not solely "childlike" qualities that appeal to paedophiles?

I already said how "wtf?!" I thought those underwear sets were - however, too grown-up maybe, but attractive to paedophiles?
    The same argument is used in relation to those child beauty pageants (which I think are totally ****ed up) - but why would a paedophile be interested in a "girl woman"?

Or is it not as black and white as that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

It arguably sexualises children, which could arguably be exciting for a paedophile.

I don't think it's completely incorrect, however, I think that the problems of the sexualisation of children are more to do with pressure to become sexually active at a young age, teenage pregnancies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lolly1869

Are these sets actually for kids or could they be just for older girls with flat chests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I heard this being discussed on lunchtime radio today and a mother of a 10 year old girl texted in to say that she agreed with these sets as they covered up the 10 year olds blossoming womanhood and therefore protected her from the prying eyes of paedophiles.

Personally, I don't know enough about the psychology of a paedophile to know if a 10 year old with boobs would be a turn on, but I don't agree with the sexualisation of children and I think these sets fall under that heading. The padding gives the illusion of breasts and breasts are what women have...not 10 year old girls.

I'm the same when it comes to make-up, high-heels, bellytops, short skirts etc. They are not appropriate for children and thats exactly what 10 year olds are. Kids are growing up way too fast these days and it makes me sad when I hear stories of pre-pubescent kids at these discos carrying out sexual acts, fingering, oral, whatever. Its awful to think innocence is lost so early. People don't bat an eye anymore at kids are 15 and 16 having babies. When I was 16 (not all that long ago) it was a rarity and rightly so.

Children should be children for as long as possible, and in my opinion that certainly extends beyond the age of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Women don't need padded bras so why the hell would a 10 yo girl?
    What a 10 yo girl really needs is to be running away screaming with fright and delight from a 10yo boy chasing her with an earthworm on a stick. The world is gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lolly1869 wrote: »
    Are these sets actually for kids or could they be just for older girls with flat chests?
    Well the ones I saw in Dunnes said "age 10" on the label - in fact I actually went over to that section thinking it was an adult lingerie stand that had been moved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Dudess wrote: »
    Well the ones I saw in Dunnes said "age 10" on the label - in fact I actually went over to that section thinking it was an adult lingerie stand that had been moved.

Yeah I saw them near the till in Swords and I took a second glance. Was very surprised when I saw the age on them.

Hagar wrote: »
    Women don't need padded bras so why the hell would a 10 yo girl?
    Quite simply: because she ain't got no boobs. I don't think it's a sexual thing, more a cashing in on the way a lot of little girls love to emulate women.

Cynical as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Quite simply: because she ain't got no boobs. I don't think it's a sexual thing, more a cashing in on the way a lot of little girls love to emulate women.

Cynical as hell.

However alot of ten year olds have boobs. And i'm sure anyone here that has them will know that padding is not just about making them bigger but correcting the shape, evenness etc. Which could explain why there are bras for ten year olds. As for bikinis, I'm no expert on swimwear, but I do know I had boobs at eleven and it's extremely hard, as well as very noticable in swimwear padded or not. When you have small breasts padding does alot to cover them and make them less noticable than if they were just left unsupported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

And the end of the day is it not the parents choice what they dress there kids in ?! If some parents do not agree they wont dress their child like that and if some parents agree with it they can and will dress their child in padded Bras / Bikini's . I am against the sexualisation (SP? ) of children but i also think that the PC world has gone a little crazy . You can not tell people what they can or can not dress their children in. The reason i do not like Beauty Pagents (SP?) for little children is because it gives these kids the impression that for someone to like them they need to Dress in little dresses wear loads of make up etc. But again it is not illegal to enter your child in one and we can not go around forcing our own personal beliefs on anyone :)

Truley wrote: »
    However alot of ten year olds have boobs. And i'm sure anyone here that has them will know that padding is not just about making them bigger but correcting the shape, evenness etc.
    Maybe you're right but these are matching sets, with patterns which aren't "raunchy" but still would not look out of place on a grown woman.
    Which could explain why there are bras for ten year olds.
    Not talking about bras alone, but padded ones specifically.
    As for bikinis, I'm no expert on swimwear, but I do know I had boobs at eleven and it's extremely hard, as well as very noticable in swimwear padded or not. When you have small breasts padding does alot to cover them and make them less noticable than if they were just left unsupported.
    I had 'em at 10. I was quite an early physical developer too, went from "bag of bones" (nickname) to that. It was hideous. I felt dreadfully self conscious - I'd have thought padding would only serve to emphasise them, no?

• Advertisement

• I think you're being rather naive. No, it's not as black and white as that. Stuff like padded bikini tops and trousers with 'sexy' on the arse are contributing to the sexualisation of children. Of course paedophiles aren't solely interested in childlike qualities - if that were the case, why are so many images seized of children in provacative positions and wearing make-up? That's hardly childlike, is it? I find these 'sexy' kids clothes creepy and wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

And the end of the day is it not the parents choice what they dress there kids in ?! If some parents do not agree they wont dress their child like that and if some parents agree with it they can and will dress their child in padded Bras / Bikini's . I am against the sexualisation (SP? ) of children but i also think that the PC world has gone a little crazy . You can not tell people what they can or can not dress their children in. The reason i do not like Beauty Pagents (SP?) for little children is because it gives these kids the impression that for someone to like them they need to Dress in little dresses wear loads of make up etc. But again it is not illegal to enter your child in one and we can not go around forcing our own personal beliefs on anyone :)

There is a big difference between illegal and ethical.

I felt dreadfully self conscious - I'd have thought padding would only serve to emphasise them, no?

I haven't seen the bra's in question but I heard another poster describe them as not so much 'padded' but having those little removable enhancer thingys which prevent them looking too conspicuous or uneven. Which leads me to believe they are designed to help with what's already there as opposed to making young girls look like they have breasts when they don't.

I just think that before getting too rilled up about it all people should consider that for many young girls aged nine or ten body issues that older women face are a genuine concern for them too. I didn't particularly like having to buy tampons at eleven but unfortunately that was the case :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

[quote=[Deleted User];65434849]I find these 'sexy' kids clothes creepy and wrong.[/QUOTE]

+ 1.

To be honest, I find any clothes branded with "sexy" on them quite creepy though! :P

Children have the right to a childhood, they shouldn't be forced to deal with more adult stuff like appearance insecurities and body hang-ups before their time. They're much too fragile and impressionable for that.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Truley wrote: »
    I haven't seen the bra's in question but I heard another poster describe them as not so much 'padded' but having those little removable enhancer thingys which prevent them looking too conspicuous or uneven. Which leads me to believe they are designed to help with what's already there as opposed to making young girls look like they have breasts when they don't.

I just think that before getting too rilled up about it all people should consider that for many young girls aged nine or ten body issues that older women face are a genuine concern for them too. I didn't particularly like having to buy tampons at eleven but unfortunately that was the case :(

What does buying tampons have to do with wearing padded bikinis? I got my period just after I turned ten and no way in hell would my mother have let me buy a padded bikini, nor would I have wanted to buy one. I don't think bikinis are even appropriate for kids anyway. I went to France every year and I wore a swimsuit to the beach and pool. I didn't start wearing bikinis until well into my teens. What business does a child have wearing a bikini?

[quote=[Deleted User];65437116]What does buying tampons have to do with wearing padded bikinis? I got my period just after I turned ten and no way in hell would my mother have let me buy a padded bikini, nor would I have wanted to buy one. I don't think bikinis are even appropriate for kids anyway. I went to France every year and I wore a swimsuit to the beach and pool. I didn't start wearing bikinis until well into my teens. What business does a child have wearing a bikini?[/QUOTE]

You're right I don't think they should be wearing bikinis either. Hell i'm 22 and I still don't wear them. I was just trying to give a different perspective as to why there are bra's available for children of that age, and how 'padding' can be used for other reasons not just to make a bigger cleavage.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement