Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laurel hedging dying?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

planted bare root hedging last weekend. leaves on some started looking droopy tuesday and now noticed some of them have bits of brown on them as well and some have fallen off. i assume this is not a good sign:(
    ive been watering them daily
    any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

I also have planted bare root -laurels ,fruit trees and some alders.
    The laurels are really tough and as this is my second time planting so I know what to watch out for.--with laurels it is very common for the leaves to do this .You may even think they are finished and then new growth will appear.Bare roots need the water --so you are doing the correct thing there --just make sure you do not over water as they can get root rot .
    These should be fine and when they take (which I'm sure they will) you will have a beautiful hedge.
    Hope things work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks fingers crossed so:) i was actually thinking about a few alder for the back lawn too cos it can get very wet. are they nice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

km79 wrote: »
    thanks fingers crossed so:) i was actually thinking about a few alder for the back lawn too cos it can get very wet. are they nice ?

I first put in Alder the first year and they were 2 euro each for bare root.They are now over 12 foot tall and are a beautiful tree .They are tough and even though I pruned them at the wrong time --they still took.
    I recently got 10 Different variety Alder with a serrated leaf but the common Alder is nicer.These can be kept to any height you want. I have one that was on the site before I build and I've kept it 4 foot tall .
    The potted ones I bought were 30 euro each and on hind sight it was a waste as the bare root grow just fine.There is a great tutorial on YouTube--just enter "Planting bare root trees" .
    Alder is a faster growing tree than Ash, cheaper than beech --it's the best in my opinion as I also have ash etc.If you plant bare root now you may not see much this year but they will come good for next season.
    Hope all goes well for you and if I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask:)

Advertisement