Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midweek in enniscorthy

Options
  • 15-04-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone has any info about enniscorthy that they could share. Heading to monart spa for two nights in may (tues & wed) & wondering could anyone recommend a cafe/restaurant for lunch on one of the days & somewhere for a nice evening meal? Also are there any pubs that would be good for a drink midweek. (we're a mixed age group between 25-50) Would be grateful for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pubs - The Antique Tavern at the bottom of Slaney Street - cosy with good pints and bar food; Hayes Pub in Rafter Street - a nice pint but I think the food is limited to Bacon Fries; Stamps Pub in the Market Square is also a quiet spot for a pint. Rackards Pub in RafterStreet is popular - I haven't discovered why but possibly it is something to do with the large smoking area. Food wise there are several pleasant looking Italian restaurants and an Indian but I have never tried them. Avoid the Alamo at the Riverside Park Hotel no matter what you may be told by others! In fairness there is little enough to entertain visitors to the town so you have been warned. :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

For an evening meal you have to go here http://www.viaveneto.ie/ Paolo will look after you's
    For a quiet drink try any of these The castle bar, Holohans, Antique tavern or Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Doyles of the Still is a great spot, its a little pub just down from monart so walking distance, real rural spot very pleasent only opens at 6pm has pool table and right across for a pond with ducks so mice to sit at and relex early in the evening. Best italian in town in on the quay owned by mick wallace to italians run it but very pasta based but fab wine list .. antique is a must, have live jazz sessions on wensday nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

The Galo Chargrill is a gorgeous restaurant for really fresh delicious Mediterranean type food. Would recommend Rackard's afterwards for a drink or D-Bar for somewhere more modern. Would readily recommend The Alamo at the Riverside Park hotel for tasty TexMex cuisine in nice surroundings. Have been going there for years and has been consistently good.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Alamo is only ok in my opinion.

If there's a few of ye going, I would recommend the Antique also. Even on a quiet night the few of ye would fill it!

http://www.inkpaper.it/irlanda/Enniscorthy-pub.jpg

• Advertisement

Your pic makes the Antique look massive - even 20 and it's crowded! :D

The first pic was the bar. Now here's the lounge.............

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/14/c4/25/cozy-little-pub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! Antique definately looks like a interesting place for a drink..what kind of crowd does it get? Happy with anything once it's not just an old man pub! :rolleyes:

Nice decent crowd. Never trouble. Not an old man pub. There wasn't a TV there until very recent years. It'll be on for a match, but that won't interfere with you if you're just in for a drink (as small as the place is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Darios, the copper pan, mallocas, or the ABC are good spots for a nice bit of nosebag.

• Advertisement

I would pass on Dario's - well known for snailburgers. :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The ABC has to be no1 followed by Tony's formally the concorde. for good fish and chips

Ah jaysus lads, he's goin' to feckin' Monart!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

I'm a girl :rolleyes: Im gettin confused now, should i assume all the last few are 2b avoided @ all costs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

MJ23 wrote: »
    Darios, the copper pan, mallocas, or the ABC are good spots for a nice bit of nosebag.
    yes avoid them unless your full of drink there chippers, the view from vinger hill at sun set is quite nice to if you are looking for someting other then a pub

Sorry for the gender mis-presumption!

There's one or two nice places around as I'm sure you've gathered. I don't think you'll be visting most of the latter places, they're just the local chippers (some are less bad than others!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Would not bother with Enotec de Alba, very limited menu,expensive wines,and slow service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 annie87

Enotecca d'Alba has gorgeous food, not too expesnive either. Try Jive (it's a cafe called Toffee and Thyme by day) You may need to book, but it's lovely-quite expensive though. For drinking, I would go to the Antique Tavern,m the D-Bar. Do not go to Benedicts! It's an awful place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 annie87

Ozzie wrote: »
    The first pic was the bar. Now here's the lounge.............

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/14/c4/25/cozy-little-pub.jpg

The lounge! Haha, you need a picture of the massive beer garden:D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

killeens is also a nice spot for a drink. or redmonds of scarawelsh for a real time warp. would need a taxi or designated driver though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement