Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help pick my focus :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

EriT wrote: »
    Hi all

I have just taken out a loan and am about to buy my first car. I have decided on a Ford Focus 1.4 2000,2001 or 2002 have about 3700 to spend have a few cars picked out and plan on going to see them this weekend.Not fused about colour or no. of doors.

Any chance you lads in the know could look at the below and give advise on which seems to be the best offer?

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=495734&r=s.php%3Fm%3D26%26amp;o%3D253%26amp;l[]%3D10%26amp;e%3D5000%26amp;nx%3D6%26amp;g%3D0

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=520481&r=s.php%3Fm%3D26%26amp;o%3D253%26amp;l[]%3D10%26amp;e%3D5000%26amp;nx%3D6%26amp;g%3D0

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=494999&r=s.php%3Fm%3D26%26amp;o%3D253%26amp;l[]%3D10%26amp;e%3D5000%26amp;nx%3D6%26amp;g%3D0

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/FREEDOM-/201014197544668/advert?channel=CARS

Cheers for your help :)

My advice - avoid the 1.4 unless you enjoy dangerously slow overtaking. Oh, and crap fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Confab wrote: »
    My advice - avoid the 1.4 unless you enjoy dangerously slow overtaking. Oh, and crap fuel consumption.

Kind of has to be a 1.4 because of insurance as its my first car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah. Fire away so. They all look expensive to me. Try not to get anything worse than the Zetec spec.

Confab wrote: »
    Ah. Fire away so. They all look expensive to me. Try not to get anything worse than the Zetec spec.

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Kind of has to be a 1.4 because of insurance as its my first car

Having driven both the 1.4 and the 1.6 of that generation, the 1.4 surprised me as to how lively it was. It should be a fine car to learn on.

Impossible to differentiate them from the webpage. Go and see them and see the service history of them all and base it on that, how well the engine seems to run, and the deal you get from the dealer.

• Advertisement

Stky10 wrote: »
    Having driven both the 1.4 and the 1.6 of that generation, the 1.4 surprised me as to how lively it was. It should be a fine car to learn on.

Impossible to differentiate them from the webpage. Go and see them and see the service history of them all and base it on that, how well the engine seems to run, and the deal you get from the dealer.

Having done ten lessons in a focus 1.4 i found it fine. Cheers i will go look at them all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The focus got a facelift in 02. Trim in the rear and front bumper, the lights have indicators. The centre console is usually sliver. Check the remote central locking is working from the keyfob;). Check for rust spots under the wind mirrors due to door making contact with it, and on and around the wheel arches.

Check if there is water in were the spare wheel goes. That would mean a leak from either the rear windscreen wash pump or drain channel at the rear light could be blocked. The front windscreen wash tubing can leak and water can accumulate on top of rocker cover where the spark plugs are, but thats an easy enough fix. Apart from all that you should be grand :).

The 1.4 is a grand car, it has 74bhp and reasonable on juice and handles really well. I can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they all seem pricey for the year.

Hal1 wrote: »
    The focus got a facelift in 02. Trim in the rear and front bumper, the lights have indicators. The centre console is usually sliver. Check the remote central locking is working from the keyfob;). Check for rust spots under the wind mirrors due to door making contact with it, and on and around the wheel arches.

Check if there is water in were the spare wheel goes. That would mean a leak from either the rear windscreen wash pump or drain channel at the rear light could be blocked. The front windscreen wash tubing can leak and water can accumulate on top of rocker cover where the spark plugs are, but thats an easy enough fix. Apart from all that you should be grand :).

cheers plenty for me to look out for thanks :) what do you think i should b paying for any of the above cars? as people seem to be saying the above are pricey ?

Brother got a low mileage 04 with alloys, aircon etc, full service history and mint condition for 4k privately. Was a 1.6 5dr.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Brother got a low mileage 04 with alloys, aircon etc, full service history and mint condition for 4k privately. Was a 1.6 5dr.

Very interesting cheers

cheers plenty for me to look out for thanks :) what do you think i should b paying for any of the above cars? as people seem to be saying the above are pricey ?

All you can do is compare prices from other sites and hopefully you don't buy a lemon. If you hold out long enough you'll find a good one. Just get it checked by mechanic. Make sure it has a recent enough nct. If buying privately the seller sells the car as seen and is not responsible for any faults found after sale. If buying from a garage they usually give 3 month parts warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The 1.4 is pants - I used to own a 1.4. It's dangerously underpowered imo.

OP, try a 1.6, can't imagine a huge difference in insurance plus it will be more economical too in the real world

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Having driven both the 1.4 and the 1.6 of that generation, the 1.4 surprised me as to how lively it was....

There's a big performance difference and 25bhp (33%) power difference between the 2 engines.

If you can manage it insurance wise the 1.6 is a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Now, I haven't looked at the cars in the links, but if they are older than '03, then €4K is far too much/

I currently drive the 1.4 Freedom model, and I'd advise you to look for a 1.6. Your insurance shouldn't be much of a difference.

The 1.4 is underpowered, geared all wrong for the speeds, and hungry on juice, as is dragging a heavy car.

Check for rust in:

The bottoms of the doors
    The arches
    The wings
    The boot (under the spare)
    Under the mirrors

Check if the scuttle panel has been updated, as some are prone to letting water in through the pollen filter, thus flooding the passenger footwell. (and check there for rust too.)

Make sure the C/L works.

Make sure the horn works, has a tendancy to stop erratically.

It looks like a list of stuff, but the Focus is a great car, there's a reason why it was What Car's Best Car for a while, and why it boosted Ford sales in Germany. But its a Ford, and needs some checking. Like all cars really, I just know because I've had to deal with them on mine.

If I had the chance again, I'd get a 1.6. (I'm hmm'ing and hah'ing about upgrading to an ST. Hopefully an ST3, but it won't be mega new because of the stupid taxing now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Hi, like the op, I am lookin to buy a focus. Was eyeing an 06 1.4L for 8k, only 35000m up on it. Currently driving a car which needs a running start to overtake, so would this be underpowered then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

my dad has the 1.6 and my ex had a 1.4.
    I drove the 1.4 for months(from limerick to dublin) and i regularly drive the 1.6(drove it to shannon a few times)

The 1.4 is grand for town driving but is a bit underpowered on a big road.
    The fuel consumption is similiar on both(obviously 1.6 would be worse if you rally the car).

1.6 is a nice bit faster too, even though its the estate.

id personally get the 1.6. AFAIK the insurance difference wouldnt be much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

the goon wrote: »
    Hi, like the op, I am lookin to buy a focus. Was eyeing an 06 1.4L for 8k, only 35000m up on it. Currently driving a car which needs a running start to overtake, so would this be underpowered then?

In the new model buy a 1.6, Ghia or Titanium if you can find one. It has a more powerful and economical 1.6 compared to the Zetec or LX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Check around the drive shafts underneath and the oil sump for potential oil leaks also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

EPM wrote: »
    In the new model buy a 1.6, Ghia or Titanium if you can find one. It has a more powerful and economical 1.6 compared to the Zetec or LX

They are pretty rare.

p.s. The Ti-VCT engine has a timing belt, whereas the "cooking" 1.6 has a chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

right ive had almost every model of focus there has been apart from the 05- models

as said above 1.4 is dangerously underpowered and if i were buying a car that had to be 1.4 id go for the lighter fiesta and it would be a bit quicker however if u could stretch to a 1.6 ul have a better car !

the 1.6 is not massively more impressive than the 1.4 but u would notice it from overtaking and ive seen one modified that managed a healthy 116bhp on a focus forums rolling road day

again the older models can possibly suffer from rust but mostly they are fine with no major issues apart from imported ones

things to watch out for are coil packs that give trouble throughout the whole focus range and the seal on the scuttle panel over the pollen filter lifting off the windscreen letting water ingress into the passenger footwell

rear drop links can get rattly and loose with wear and need replacement so keep an ear out for rattles from under neath over rough ground , again the front drop link arms tend to go too and ul again get rattles from the front over rough ground all easy fixed !

as regards the ones u listed above i think they are all too expensive esp the first one a 02 with 120k miles on it almost are they having a laugh?

here is a link to one on donedeal and it would be something id try aiming for price wise and model spec its a 1.6 if ur insurance would stretch that far

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1265099

its a decent model its 3 door and (nicer in 3 door ) a nice colour too ! any questions drop me a pm , i run a focus forum and can answer most questions u might have wont link the forum title here in case its against rules of board

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

focusowner wrote: »

things to watch out for are coil packs that give trouble throughout the whole focus range

You can sing that!!!

Also catalytic conv went on my 03 after 35K miles, apparently not uncommon. Check if it has already been replaced on any you are looking at.

newer models 2005-on have a leak under drivers side windscreen washer lettin water onto engine and it gets down beside the plugs past the rubber seal once in it cant escape and heat causes steam rust etc and now its not uncommon to have a plug seize in the head of the engine ! making changin a b1atch , ford have revised windscreen jets that seal better for anyone interested ;)

also the bootlid has new rails available to stop rain running into it when u open the boot if its raining again only applies to newer model

Went and viewed a few cars yesterday also looked at insurance and as it doesn't seem 2go up much for the 1.6 i have decided il try for one of them as it seems it is the better option. Aiming for a 3door 1.6 zetec 2002

good choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

am currently on my third focus, has a 2002 1.6 3 door, never had an ounce of trouble with that one. got a fiesta but too small so bought another 2002 3 door. changed the coil pack in it, not any other ounce of trouble with it and i was putting up 30k a year easily. changed to a diesel one now because of the mileage, its the 2005 newer model and 5 door! i miss the 3 door petrol one.

great car and you cant go wrong with one.

my brother had a 1999 5 door 1.4, sold it on a few years back and he nct'd (he works for the nct) it about a month ago and there was well over 250k on the clock and it was still going great!

this is a nice one on donedeal- you would probably get it cheaper too!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1265986

there are loads out there! happy hunting!!

The tinting would have to be removed for the nct. But yeah looks like a good one.

if u look at the picture taken from the rear of the car the tint thru the side window aint that dark so would probably be ok !

bring a mechanic with you. I'm not saying it is the case, but a modified 1.6 Focus could have the hoop driven out of it.

• Advertisement

I would be wary of lowered cars in particular and the condition of the suspension from speed ramps.

Advertisement