Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cajun Sauce

Options
  • 15-04-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

There's a shop in Galway called Ward's, it's beside the university. They put cajun sauce on some of their rolls in the deli and it's really nice!

Anyway, I've been looking out for cajun sauce in every shop I've been to and all I can find is cajun marinade. Has anyone ever come across a cajun sauce in a ready to use on a sandwich pack similar to mayonnaise or tomato sauce? Or in any form, it doesn't have to be ready to use!

It's so nice and I can't find anything like it anywhere. Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I have seen Cajun mayo in Supervalu, Im in Kildare but I am sure other Supervalu's would have it. I saw it there last week, it was actually on top of the salad bar, along with garlic mayo etc. Not sure of the brand, it wasnt helmans or anything, I will look next time!

Ah I remember the rolls in Wards...mmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

Thanks boozelerooze! I must check out Supervalue, the nearest one to me is ages away though I think!

Yeah they do make really nice rolls, pity they are so expensive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Wonder do they just add cajun spices too mayonaise? You could try that,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm not from Galway myself, so I don't know Ward's... but a long, long time ago I used to work in a well-known restaurant in Dublin. The Cajun spice mix was:

2 parts Cayenne pepper
    1 part paprika
    1 part white pepper
    1 part black pepper
    1 part garlic salt
    1 part cumin
    1 part oregano

If you want to try this out yourself I would recommend mixing it in with creme fraiche or sour cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I'm not from Galway myself, so I don't know Ward's... but a long, long time ago I used to work in a well-known restaurant in Dublin. The Cajun spice mix was:

2 parts Cayenne pepper
    1 part paprika
    1 part white pepper
    1 part black pepper
    1 part garlic salt
    1 part cumin
    1 part oregano

If you want to try this out yourself I wouldn't recommend mixing it in with mayonnaise. I think it'd be better with creme fraiche or sour cream.

Cheers for this, must give it a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cajun is a very generic term, as it cajun spice.
    It's just a spicy sauce made with pepper (as in chilli peppers) based spices. Try it yourself.
    Using mayo would be quite creamy, you could also use a tomato juice for a lighter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm fairly sure that in wards they just add a cajun spice mix to mayo and chicken, it seems to be what most deli counters do. You could try asking the staff in there

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

2 parts Cayenne pepper
    1 part paprika
    1 part white pepper
    1 part black pepper
    1 part garlic salt
    1 part cumin
    1 part oregano

If you want to try this out yourself I would recommend mixing it in with creme fraiche or sour cream.

Sounds nice must give it a try.

And using tomato juice sounds interesting, thanks Mellor!

I must ask them moonflower, it is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I had chicken in a Cajun sauce with rice in Stonehaven in Maynooth on Monday night-was very nice and was wondering how to go about making a similar sauce?

It was a creamier sauce than I'd expect-generally Cajun tends to be a marinade or a coating-I haven't seen it served with rice as a creamy sauce before.

I guess I could just add the Cajun spice mix recipe above to some sort of base?

I guess there are lots of different types of Cajun sauces, but the recipes of the place I used to work in were copies of those of New Orleans restaurants. One of the most popular dishes there was Blackened Chicken with a creamy Cajun sauce.

Start by making a roux and then slowly add 500ml of chicken stock (don't use stock cubes - use either homemade chicken stock or at a stretch a Knorr Stock Pot) while whisking continuously and then add a chopped red and green pepper. After about 20 minutes of bubbling the flour in the roux will be cooked through and the pepper will be tender.

At this stage add some of the spice mix that I posted above to taste and finish with cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I guess there are lots of different types of Cajun sauces, but the recipes of the place I used to work in were copies of those of New Orleans restaurants. One of the most popular dishes there was Blackened Chicken with a creamy Cajun sauce.

Start by making a roux and then slowly add 500ml of chicken stock (don't use stock cubes - use either homemade chicken stock or at a stretch a Knorr Stock Pot) while whisking continuously and then add a chopped red and green pepper. After about 20 minutes of bubbling the flour in the roux will be cooked through and the pepper will be tender.

At this stage add some of the spice mix that I posted above to taste and finish with cream.

Cheers-that sounds good-I'm not familiar with a 'roux' however?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Cheers-that sounds good-I'm not familiar with a 'roux' however?

Roux sounds all fancy, but all it is is an equal quantity of butter and flour mixed together. Melt 25g of butter in a pot and add the same weight of flour. It should come together in a pasty ball. When it's at this stage add the liquid whilst stirring.

Roux is the base for "white sauce".

Advertisement