Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer pledges

• 15-04-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking last night about the man u financial crisis and other clubs(but mostly utd). supposedly not having enough money to buy (decent) players.

What if there was a way fans could contribute in other ways instead of just match day revenue and jersey sales and othet merchandise(if we dont spend enough already i here you say).

So here's my idea each individual club fan could pledge say 5euro/ 5 pound or in asia/usa/australia or wherever the equvalent of 5 pounds to a transfer fund for their club for a certain player(s).

At the end of every season the fans could see where their club needs strenghtening in utd case for eg. AMC Lets say Gorcuff is worth 20 million pound. Lets say there's 5 million utd fans in the world(all just rough estimates by the way) over the age of 18 and want to contribute 5 quid durin the summer to buy a player thats 25 million thats a fair substantial amount to a transfer kitty.

yes i know its a mad idea but i do think its possible to do.it could be set up by registering with the club. you could be given a certain account number to lodge your 5 quid and you could do it on line, in your bank, over the phone, postal order or whatever.

eg:1 register on line mufc.com
    2 they give you your own pin number to lodge 5pound to certain account .
    3 money is spent on a certain player needed by club.

only a rough draft but needs to be tweaked(or thrown out the window).it could be set up that fans could vote on players to be purchased with their money. lets say chiellini, gorcuff, hamsik, loris,milner, villa or whoever could be the choices and what ever player gets mosy votes thats who it would be spent on. if club cant buy the player with the most votes is goes to the player with the 2nd most votes and so on.
    if there's money left over it goes towards january transfer buget or towards buying another player.

as i said needs tweaking. the amount of money raised would depend on clubs fan base or how much fans are willing to donate. doesnt have to be 5 quid but 5 being the minimum. obvoiusly proper security sanctions will have to be put in place for this to work.

anyone with any contributions to it feel free to share.
    genius:cool:or madness:eek: you decide!!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

anyone with any contributions to it feel free to share.
    genius:cool:or madness:eek: you decide!!
    Madness.

I approve of these sort of actions if the club itself is in danger, Bohs did plenty of fund-raising to make sure we were under the 65% last season. Where would you stop for transfers though? Demand 5-10 million off fans every transfer window? Fans give enough without that sort of thing.

Also, fans shouldn't be deciding what players to buy, that's the managers job and he knows better. (Well he should anyway)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What will probably happen is that squad numbers will be cut. Read recently that Villa were paying 50,000 a week to players most of whom were getting very little game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didn't the argentinian club that riquelme went to try this when trying to make his loan move permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

only a rough draft but needs to be tweaked(or thrown out the window).it could be set up that fans could vote on players to be purchased with their money. lets say chiellini, gorcuff, hamsik, loris,milner, villa or whoever could be the choices and what ever player gets mosy votes thats who it would be spent on. if club cant buy the player with the most votes is goes to the player with the 2nd most votes and so on.
    Eh just go support Ebbsfleet Town instead of trying to further destroy another team with ridiculous commercial ventures.

The problem also is if a club is in debt there is no guarentee that the money donated by fan would go towards transfer fees. Could be open to abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Charging 60 quid for a jersey that was made for 2/3 euro in Asia and all the other merchandising is how fans contribute toward their clubs.Supporters owning shares in clubs is more appealing to be honest. What I dont like is a plc for instance when the club was on the stock exchange I had a lad in work that owned united shares who supported Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Charging 60 quid for a jersey that was made for 2/3 euro in Asia and all the other merchandising is how fans contribute toward their clubs.Supporters owning shares in clubs is more appealing to be honest. What I dont like is a plc for instance when the club was on the stock exchange I had a lad in work that owned united shares who supported Everton.

Going to games isn't important then?

:confused:

I pay at the gate, I buy a programme, I buy a half time raffle ticket, I buy a golden goal, I wear my jersey and my scarf and buy something from the club shop at half time.

Match day revenue is the only way most clubs survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Good grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Was just thinking last night about the man u financial crisis and other clubs(but mostly utd). supposedly not having enough money to buy (decent) players.

What are you on about?
    Pretty much every team outside the top 7 springs to mind......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Are MUST heading down similar lines? In one of their surveys there was a question asking if you would pledge £20 to the club to see the Glazers removed. I presume they had a similar concept in mind wrt helping fund the LUHG campaign.

• Advertisement

Think they have a good scheme with Vodafone where 10 per cent of your phone bills goes to club of your choice. Would a similar scheme work for EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think they have a good scheme with Vodafone where 10 per cent of your phone bills goes to club of your choice. Would a similar scheme work for EPL
    If phone networks over here start donating a percentage of bills to foreign clubs, I really think I'm going to have to start using other networks/forms of communication. How stupid can Irish people be?

CSF wrote: »
    If phone networks over here start donating a percentage of bills to foreign clubs, I really think I'm going to have to start using other networks/forms of communication. How stupid can Irish people be?
    No was thinking of it in terms of Vodafone in UK donating to english clubs re ten per cent of customers bills going to clubs . Not sure if other networks would be too happy about it but seems a very good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Koln did something.... strange.... regarding the Lukas Podolski transfer.
    Wikipedia

Return to Köln

After Podolski was assured by national team coach Joachim Löw that a return to Köln would not harm his chances of international football, an agreement to sign him was agreed between Bayern Munich and Köln on 20 January 2009, although he would not return to Köln until the start of the summer transfer window, on July 1. Podolski returned to Köln on a four-year contract, and the transfer is speculated to be around €10 million, equivalent to the fee Bayern paid to sign him in 2006.[13][14] Köln created a website where people were able to buy pixels of an image of Lukas Podolski for €25 per 8x8 pixel square, in order to gather €1 million to reduce the cost of the transfer.[15][16]

I'm still not sure what they were getting for their €25 though. Was it just a way to donate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Koln did something.... strange.... regarding the Lukas Podolski transfer.

I'm still not sure what they were getting for their €25 though. Was it just a way to donate?

Nice find. Didn't know that. The concept would clearly be open to abuse.

Advertisement