Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave wrong account number for bank transfer!

Options
  • 15-04-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I recently encashed an investment policy with Quinn & stupidly there was a typo in the account number I gave them (the sort code was correct thank God) the bank / Quinn are closed now and I'm stressing about it and probably won't sleep a wink tonight as I know it must have ended up in somebody else's account within my branch. WIll they be able to transfer it back or have I lost the money forever? What if the person has already withdrawn it!

I'll obviously phone both parties first thing tomorrow but am so stressed about it I'd appreciiate some reassurance from anyone who has been in a similar situation - thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

2 things.

The account could be invalid. In which case the funds will bounce back to the originators bank and it should end up back in your account.

If your unlucky enough that the account is valid then the orginating bank will have to call the funds back. This can be tricky.

Not sure if I gave you piece of mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What happened when you called the bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks for all the help guys - just to report back. The rather excellent people at Quinn found the mistake (i.e. my mistake - for shame!) and corrected it so it was safely delivered to my account this morning. What a relief!

Advertisement