Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Irish Paper 2 options

Options
  • 15-04-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

I've been told you can pick your own prose and poetry for paper 2 instead of the designated ones. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Yep sure is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

which is the best way to go?

in my opinion, the prescribed poetry & prose is ur best bet! The questions are usually more or less predictable, the only surprise will be which prose and poems will come up! Id definitely reccommend doing the prescribed. Im not sure if u can use the prescribed poems and prose(gealt, an cearrbach etc.) in the section where u can pick what u want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Im not sure if u can use the prescribed poems and prose(gealt, an cearrbach etc.) in the section where u can pick what u want!

You can't.

well then the prescribed poetry would be better!! Every textbook coevers them sdo the range of notes on them is huge!

• Advertisement

you can do say the designated poetry and optional prose? also you could use the additional higher level designated poems (with all the accompanying notes) and answer the ordinary level optional poetry question, maybe getting an easier question than in the designated section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

pathway33 wrote: »
    I've been told you can pick your own prose and poetry for paper 2 instead of the designated ones. Is this true?

The paper goes like so:
    For the pros you have to do a (a) and (b). You have a choice in each one. Like last year, you could answer on Lig Sinn i gCathu or Fiche Blian ag Fas.
    then for the (b) you have to write a theme on a selection of storys given or a different question which may talk about characters, you like the story and the such.

Then for the poems, again a (a) and (b).
    For the (a) they give you 2 different poems with 4 questions on each, you can choose whichever one you like.
    then for the (b) theres only one poem, but with two different questions, choose one. Last year it was Jack, and you had to either talk about a emotion from a list OR the main feeling (i think) and a image you like.

or this is what I think you're talking about? theres the pros roghnach, which I don't know anything about, didn't do it and the same for the filiocht. But they just ask general questions and all that kinda rubbish.

Honestly, if you're doing ordinary level its so much easier just to do the rubbish from the start of the paper. I'm dire at Irish, I cannot form sentences to save my life, I mean, I don't know many verbs at all(so bad I only learned what ''Bhi me'' meant in 1st year:p). Its very easy to get marks for those things. I wrote about 4 lines for each of the questions in the mocks, except for the 25m q's, and i got like 64%.

pathway33 wrote: »
    you can do say the designated poetry and optional prose? also you could use the additional higher level designated poems (with all the accompanying notes) and answer the ordinary level optional poetry question, maybe getting an easier question than in the designated section.

Why on earth would you bother?!

The poem is printed on the page in front of you. If you go off and do the HL extra poems, you have to learn off quotes. Why go to all that bother? The examiner isn't going to be any more impressed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Our school does the optional pros. A lot easier and more interesting apparently!

zam wrote: »
    Our school does the optional pros. A lot easier and more interesting apparently!

please tell me more. What are these wonderful stories called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Well I have no idea what the real prós course is like but basically our school gives us the same types of stories (scéal béaloidis, scannán, sliocht as dírbheatháisnéis, sliocht as úrscéal, gearrsceal)
    And we're doing Clann Lir, LipService, A Thig Ná Tit Orm, Gafa, and Nora Mharcais Bhig (I believe most of them are elsewhere on the course already like in Scothscéalta etc)

zam wrote: »
    And we're doing Clann Lir, LipService, A Thig Ná Tit Orm, Gafa, and Nora Mharcais Bhig

That's a mixture of texts from the last 2/3 prescribed courses with Lipservice thrown in. Don't get too excited Pathway33!

Omg you can do lipservice for your leaving cert? We watched that for the entertainment value of it...Tá mé ****tin a brick! hahaha!

deemark wrote: »
    That's a mixture of texts from the last 2/3 prescribed courses with Lipservice thrown in. Don't get too excited Pathway33!

this just gets better and better. So all one would have to do is get all the prescribed notes for previous leaving cert gaeilge syllabi and pick the texts/film/poems that don't clash with the current syllabi and you can have a crack at the easy option question. You'd want to be a wall made of bricks not to get excited about that

Advertisement