Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do dogs drown?

Options
  • 15-04-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

My small dog (border collie crossed with something little) has just discovered her love of swimming ... now I find it hard to keep her out of the water ... I'm worried that she will drown! is there something I can use to help ... thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Knit wit wrote: »
    My small dog (border collie crossed with something little) has just discovered her love of swimming ... now I find it hard to keep her out of the water ... I'm worried that she will drown! is there something I can use to help ... thanks folks.
    country hounds sell life jackets other than that keep him away from the water

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yes, unfortunately, dogs can drown, but unless your dog is swimming in fast/very deep water or in sea water, there is little need to worry as dogs, in general, are very strong swimmers and are able to tread water for hours in order to survive. However, prevention is always better than cure, so taking precautions as to where your dog swims or getting a life jacket could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Yes, they can drown. I have 2 dogs - labrador, swims like a fish & JRT who has had to be rescued from drowning twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd keep her on the lead while swimming, if that's possible. I've taken my dogs (3 cavaliers) swimming, but only on the lead cos I was scared they'd get washed away! I had to drag them into the water but once they were in they loved it!

Advertisement