Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to a bike

• 15-04-2010 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody. Just have a few questions, I fancy getting a motorbike soon and using it as my daily driver for the summer. Im 27 with 3 years NCB on the car and 2 years NCB on a bike from 2003-2005, had a honda rebel 125cc, used it as my daily driver for those 2 years, lovely bike just incredibly slow.

What kind of a bike can I drive now, Im looking on donedeal and there are 400cc bikes that are "learner legal", are these the bikes I should be looking at? Am I right in thinking theres a class for scooters, then a class for bikes under 125cc and then a class for 125 and above? Will I get raped for insurance, I remember paying 800 euros for the year in 2005 when I was about 22/23 years old, have things changed now?

I dont think I could go back to a 125cc, In the meantime I've owned WRX Subaru's and a VZR Lucino so I really couldnt go back to that. Is it possible insure a 400/600cc cruiser, Im not too gone on a sports bike, Id be going for comfort.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Any bike can be restricted to be learner legal.

You're over 25, insurance should be considerably cheaper for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

You don't say what sort of bike license you have. You were riding a 125cc. Did you have an A1 or a full A license? If the latter, you're good.

A note about your NCB from 2005. Most insurance companies only accept NCBs within the last 3 years. You might be lucky though. Give it a try.

If you're getting a new A (don't bother with the A1) provisional license (or whatever it's called now), then you'll be limited to what sort of bike you can ride. In my day it was in or around 33bhp or 25kW. I'm not sure if it's changed. This means that any bike you get (if it's above this threshold) will have to be restricted for the duration of the provisional license and 2 years after you pass your test. Again, this is from my experience and may have changed.

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

FearDark wrote: »
    Hey everybody. Just have a few questions, I fancy getting a motorbike soon and using it as my daily driver for the summer. Im 27 with 3 years NCB on the car and 2 years NCB on a bike from 2003-2005, had a honda rebel 125cc, used it as my daily driver for those 2 years, lovely bike just incredibly slow.

What kind of a bike can I drive now, Im looking on donedeal and there are 400cc bikes that are "learner legal", are these the bikes I should be looking at? Am I right in thinking theres a class for scooters, then a class for bikes under 125cc and then a class for 125 and above? Will I get raped for insurance, I remember paying 800 euros for the year in 2005 when I was about 22/23 years old, have things changed now?

I dont think I could go back to a 125cc, In the meantime I've owned WRX Subaru's and a VZR Lucino so I really couldnt go back to that. Is it possible insure a 400/600cc cruiser, Im not too gone on a sports bike, Id be going for comfort.

Thanks all.

you want one of these

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1234003

• Registered Users Posts: 13 banjobeer

re going back on 2 wheels, i`m in the same boat, you acn get leaner legal big bikes 600 800 eg., but they have to have a factory fitted restrictor and make sure you get the cert to confirm this. guy in athboy giving lessions and tips on what type of bike you can ride, you`ll find his ad on done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hey Feardark. Having only recently bought a bike again myself, I'm fairly familiar with the law at the moment.

Firstly, I'd recommend that you get a licence covering A1, A, and W - this is at no extra cost but allows you to ride as many things in the motorcycle theory test category as possible (I assume you've passed this test). I was looking up prices for insurance of both 250s and 125s - especially with custom bikes, there's very little differences in insurance between these two classes so I'd go for the 250 myself. This also means that you'll be able to do your A test on that same bike when the time comes - you can't do the A test on a 125 (A1) bike.

Other than this, you're good to go on a bike that has a power output of either 25kw or 33bhp. Once again, especially with custom bikes, this could get you something that looks and performs pretty decently. If you are going for something that falls above these restrictions, be careful because I believe (and I'm open to correction on this) that only Aon insurance recognises factory restrictions.

All the best with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement