Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Hard Drive

• 15-04-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I dropped my external hard drive this evening. It landed with a mighty wallop and now it makes the dreaded clicking noise when I switch it on :( Has anyone used a data recovery company to retrieve files? Are they expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Yes and they're kinda expensive, kinda are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it sounds like it is knackered
    it costs a lot to get data recovered but if you need then thats it really
    if it isn't important then try the 1 inch trick or the freezer trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

can-we-fix-it.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I dropped my external hard drive this evening. It landed with a mighty wallop and now it makes the dreaded clicking noise when I switch it on :( Has anyone used a data recovery company to retrieve files? Are they expensive?

buy an identical drive like it

rip it open and swap around the drive heads and hope for the best.

* probably not the reply you wanted...:p

if your data is really important... data recovery companies charge accordingly it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Skerries wrote: »
    it sounds like it is knackered
    it costs a lot to get data recovered but if you need then thats it really
    if it isn't important then try the 1 inch trick or the freezer trick

These sound interesting! What do they involve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well the one inch trick is to drop it from one inch onto a hard flat surface to try and dislodge the heads from the platters
    the freezer trick is where you put the drive in a sealed plastic bag and stick it in the fridge over night and this should move the heads, you then have to be quick to back up any data you need before it warms up too much and gets stuck again

*warning these tips may void warranty ;)*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

the freezer trick may only work if it was in the machine and just started clicking never tried it on one thats been dropped. I would avoid dropping it again because it could cause further damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I'm pretty much resigned to losing all the files that are on it - the data recovery option would be too expensive. I tried dropping it - no luck there. It's in the freezer at the moment! :D

Advertisement