Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New cycle New area

• 15-04-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Its been a while since I posted but I have kept watch.After a good '08,plans for '09 did not happen due to foot injury,so had a year off the bike.Its great to see the step-up that the members have achieved between racing and long distance events.
    I have organised a new event to raise funds for the local primary school which comprises of 3 different distances over very testing terrain.Start and finish are in Ballyjamesduff,Co Cavan which is about 1hr 20 min from Dublin.
    More info and routes are available here http://fivecountycyclechallenge.com/Contact.htm
    There is also an info page on facebook.
    I will answer any questions or queries regarding the cycle and I hope to see some of ye there on what should be a good test for all levels of cyclists.

Cheers Andy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thank you.
    Looks like a great route. Never been in that part of the world before I have to say. Now I have an excuse.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Looks like a great route. Never been in that part of the world before I have to say. Now I have an excuse.
    Best of luck.

The idea is to introduce a new area that many of ye would not have cycled before and to test all on the rolly hills and drumlins in Cavan. Also with a date in Aug it gives plenty of time to prepare, as sometimes the Wicklow can arrive too early and considering there is nearly 1000m of climbing on the expert route,it should be a harder challenge than the ROK which I am doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Andy

I presume as its you this is going up over every Drumlin you could find :D

As I live in the area all my spins have to include drumlins as there are no
    flat roads around.Its a little like flanders without the cobbles but there
    are 3 large drumlins which are over 250m on the expert route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Does any of it include the route from the TOI which we did? 2008 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Looks really good, I'm from Meath and often cycle up to Oldcastle but I see ye are going up the gentle side of the hill! :) I won't be in the country at the time I'm sorry to say, but will pass it on to a couple of people who will be interested. Best of luck with it though, and if there are any others running be sure to let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

And the m3 will be finshed by then so it'll be an excuse to try out the new road down from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Raam wrote: »

Looking at the map in 08 we were travelling to the north of this thru Coothill on Day 1 and again Day2 we moved west and then down towards Roscommon but I would think the 'Rolling Roads' would be similar:D

Raam wrote: »
    Hi Raam,The route stays off the roads we were on but they are similar
    to the last 50k of that brutal day.Your leisure spins are likely finished now that you are full time racing so well done and good luck.
    alfalad wrote: »
    Looks really good, I'm from Meath and often cycle up to Oldcastle but I see ye are going up the gentle side of the hill! :) I won't be in the country at the time I'm sorry to say, but will pass it on to a couple of people who will be interested. Best of luck with it though, and if there are any others running be sure to let me know!

The so called gentle side is alot longer and I didn't want to wear the group out too early.I might bump into you up there some day smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Looks like a good route Andy, I know all them roads well, but you are missing out the 2 best hills, you should cross the middle of Loughcrew rather than Patrick's Town & you should go to Graddum via Glencurren rather than Crosskeys. It would be much more painful and consequently more enjoyable.:D
    All the best with it. I'd love to be doing it but will not be around at that time.

• Advertisement

Looks like a good route Andy, I know all them roads well, but you are missing out the 2 best hills, you should cross the middle of Loughcrew rather than Patrick's Town & you should go to Graddum via Glencurren rather than Crosskeys. It would be much more painful and consequently more enjoyable.:D
    All the best with it. I'd love to be doing it but will not be around at that time.

Hi ya,good to see you are keeping an eye on us. Hope your new venture
    is going well.If work was better I would be with the gang that are with you in sept. (30 or so) as I know quite a few of them.Never thought of glencurran but we can tweak it for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

ventoux wrote: »
    Hi ya,good to see you are keeping an eye on us. Hope your new venture
    is going well.If work was better I would be with the gang that are with you in sept. (30 or so) as I know quite a few of them.Never thought of glencurran but we can tweak it for next year.

Me thinks there are enough climbing without Glencurran !!

Advertisement