Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL goal of the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Figueroa has had it won a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

CSF wrote: »
    Figueroa has had it won a long time.
    do you have clip or who it was against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

do you have clip or who it was against?

Against Stoke it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

There is still like 10% of the season left!

• Advertisement

Against Stoke it was
    Almost a carbon copy of the goal Alonso scored against Newcastle a few years ago. But very good strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's already a thread on this. Mods merge?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768281

Archimedes wrote: »
    There's already a thread on this. Mods merge?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768281
    No skin off my nose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Almost a carbon copy of the goal Alonso scored against Newcastle a few years ago. But very good strike.

Figeroa's soared into the top corner where the keeper at full stretch couldn't reach it - Alonso's bounced in the box when Harper had fallen over, I love Alonso but Figeroa's was a better strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Also, even if Alonso's had been the same, wouldn't make Figueroa's any less good.

Messi's goal against Getafe was awesome even if it was a 'carbon copy' of Maradona's goal against England.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    There is still like 10% of the season left!
    Premiership team of the season is up with ten per cent of season left. If any late goals come we can include them redout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Figueroa for me, although Danny Rose's is a tremendous strike, Figueroa's was second to none so far this season.

gavredking wrote: »
    Figueroa for me, although Danny Rose's is a tremendous strike, Figueroa's was second to none so far this season.
    Yes Figueroa's goal was a tremendous effort. But would still give Rose the edge given that it may be a key goal in title race and of his young age and of course the sheer brilliance of the strike as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Rose's goal for me,technique was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Figeroa's goal was amazing, if it had been scored by an Englishman we'd never hear the end of it.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Figeroa's goal was amazing, if it had been scored by an Englishman we'd never hear the end of it.
    We didnt. Beckham ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rose's shot was straight at Almunia. Great technique yes, but 19 of the other Premier League goalkeepers would have saved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gillington wrote: »
    Rose's goal for me,technique was amazing.

wonderful hit alright, but are people forgetting that Almunia should've caught it?

easily too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    wonderful hit alright, but are people forgetting that Almunia should've caught it?

easily too.

in fairness, he was unsighted on it. Still, I reckon there are a good few other keepers that would have turned that over the bar. Never like seeing a keeper beat down the middle. Like Henry's goal vs United a few years ago, when Carrol was in nets - should never be beaten like that.

SlickRic wrote: »

easily too.
    Yes Almunia could have done better but really the strike was just phenomenal. For a guy to score on his debut in such a big fixture makes it all the more impressive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Owen's 97th minute goal v Man City has got to be goal of the season. The most impactive, and debated and argued for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Owen's 97th minute goal v Man City has got to be goal of the season. The most impactive, and debated and argued for years.

They the criteria we're using now...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fantastic strike.

But not goal of the season as the reason it went in was because of Manuel 'Traffic Cone' Almunia's goalkeeping error #371927 of the season.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Fantastic strike.

But not goal of the season as the reason it went in was because of Manuel 'Traffic Cone' Almunia's goalkeeping error #371927 of the season.
    Did arsenal let go of Lehmann too soon??

Dave! wrote: »
    They the criteria we're using now...?

well if thats the criteria being applied to Rose's goal (debut, big game, impact on league/cl place)

For me, I'd rather just vote for the best actual goal, regardless of the timing or person who scored it.

okay this the figeuroa goal. Great accuracy but did goalkeeper leave himself a bit open with his positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

okay this the figeuroa goal. Great accuracy but did goalkeeper leave himself a bit open with his positioning.

I was just gonna say that.19 out of 20 premiership goalkeepers more then likely would have got to Figueroa's.

Okay maybe I and a few others were using the "Roy of the Rovers" story and hype for picking Rose's goal as GOTS but forgetting all that,I would still pick a 30-35 yard left foot volley over a quickly taken long range free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I can't believe people are actually blaming Sorenson, the goal was quality, definite contender fro goal of the season.

Johner wrote: »
    I can't believe people are actually blaming Sorenson, the goal was quality, definite contender fro goal of the season.
    The point is that if keeper is out of position it invites a player to take a long range shot. more often than not they dont come off but this one did spectacularly

• Advertisement

The point is that if keeper is out of position it invites a player to take a long range shot. more often than not they dont come off but this one did spectacularly

for the position of the ball at the time, I would argue Sorrenson was not out of position though. He was in position to play sweeper to the defence if a ball was played through, where I would imagine most top keepers would be. Looks from the replays that he was still in the box and the ball was about 40/45 yards away For me, it was simply a fantastic strike. If Sorrenson was out of position, it was by no more than a yard or two.

for the position of the ball at the time, I would argue Sorrenson was not out of position though. He was in position to play sweeper to the defence if a ball was played through, where I would imagine most top keepers would be. Looks from the replays that he was still in the box and the ball was about 40/45 yards away For me, it was simply a fantastic strike. If Sorrenson was out of position, it was by no more than a yard or two.
    That seems a fair enough answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What does his age and importance of the match have to do with judging the best goal?

A good strike is a good strike, regardless of the player/match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Isn't there two elements to any spectacular goal: the goalkeeper's role, and the scorers?

Almunia could have done better, but I think Mitch has a point about him being unsighted and the ball swerved a good deal. Despite that, the technique from Rose to get the ball on target and keep it low enough to get under the bar was superb.

Figuroa's is the same, fantastic spot by him and perfectly weighted. Sorensen being off his line doesn't take away from that.

Tough choice between the two, I think Rose's was better technique but will suffer in people's eyes because of Almunia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

For a guy to score on his debut in such a big fixture makes it all the more impressive

It doesn't make it the goal of the season.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It doesn't make it the goal of the season.
    A lot of ingredients make up goal of season. But lets not get bogged down here. Which one is your favourite, Mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A lot of ingredients make up goal of season.

Nonsense.

A tap-in in the 95th minute of a final day league decider would still not be worthy of consideration.

The award should be based on technique and execution, not impact.

Nonsense.

A tap-in in the 95th minute of a final day league decider would still not be worthy of consideration.

The award should be based on technique and execution, not impact.
    Still going for Roses goal regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

OK guys 3 pages in and all we have is two goals :P..any more :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Soby wrote: »
    OK guys 3 pages in and all we have is two goals :P..any more :D?

There's plenty more in the original Goal of the Season thread.

Frisbee wrote: »
    There's plenty more in the original Goal of the Season thread.
    Couldnt find it yesterday but its back up again today

• Advertisement

Btw this is for EPL goal of the season think the other thread includes European goals as well. So the two should be able to exist along side each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Still going for Roses goal regardless

Ah no, sure a better keeper might have saved that. Brilliant hit and considering the guys age and experience and the context of a London Derby it was a great goal and a great moment. But not Goal of the Season IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not goal of the season but the best 2 penalties of the season?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5328784/

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5328787/

2 goals which probably escaped peoples attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gillington wrote: »
    I was just gonna say that.19 out of 20 premiership goalkeepers more then likely would have got to Figueroa's.

Okay maybe I and a few others were using the "Roy of the Rovers" story and hype for picking Rose's goal as GOTS but forgetting all that,I would still pick a 30-35 yard left foot volley over a quickly taken long range free kick.

Bullsh1t. 19 out of 20 keepers would not have saved that. The fact is for where the ball was Sorensen was actually positioned correctly. It was just a sweet strike. Usually if a ball is hit like that it would have a lot more air on it and the keeper would get back in time.

Advertisement