Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

I want to turn off my firewall as I am getting bad packet loss too, but my router wants a password, not got a clue what it is, I don't remember it having one.

Hi

They can be done via 192.168.1.1

enter nothing in the fields just press enter and you will
    be prompted to create a password and once in click on firewall then options and disable "IP flood" protection. Go to pingtest.com and ur packet loss should should improve if not near perfect. Disable the firewell if u think it needs to be

regards

John

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

784776161.png
    30mb pack.
    Every evening from 18.00 till about 01.00, since I think last Sunday\Monday. It is not only me, at least 5 friends of mine, getting exact same speed as me at this time. Called them twice, both times was promised to be called back... Yeah... Sure...
    btw that's in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't waste your time calling them, send them an email, tell them everything you've already tried (i.e. what was posted on page 1 & 2 of the thread) to do to resolve it at your end but that there is still an issue. give them copies of your historical speedtests (under "your results" on speedtest.net at the top right, download and open the csv file in excel and save it as an .xls spreadsheet as UPC 'don't have anything that can open that type of file' apparently:rolleyes:) in the email and tell them as much information as you can about when it happens, what you're doing, how it affects you and what you've done to try and fix it. try and do it in a way that expresses your dissatisfaction without calling them all the names under the sun as it won't help you get things fixed any quicker and thery might just put you in their a**ehole pile (assuming they have one) which is probably outside in the bin. :p

when you email them you'll get an automated response with a case number assigned to it. just use that mail (or their most recent reply) to follow up asking if it's still being worked on and how long they expect it to take.

do this every 3-4 days and you'll get somewhere eventually and for much less time and effort than you would have spent on the phone.

you also have the added advantage that your case is automatically on their system so they have records of you contacting them every time and can see that you are having ongoing problems.

if you don't let them know you have a problem, you can't just expect them to fix it.

i got a letter from them last week to say that they are aware i'm having ongoing issues and have given me half price broadband for the next 2 months as an apology, so this method does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone elses connection completely gone? Was on last night and at 9.50 it stopped working.
    I turned it off and thought it would be working today still no luck. I rang my sister who lives not to far away and hers is gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭rizzla

Jet Black wrote: »
    Anyone elses connection completely gone? Was on last night and at 9.50 it stopped working.
    I turned it off and thought it would be working today still no luck. I rang my sister who lives not to far away and hers is gone too.

Mines gone too. Dublin 12 area, currently in town in Internet cafe, rang em up and someones coming out on Thursday, a week from when I rang them terrible service. TV is messed up too, sound comes through but no picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 pedromorris

rizzla wrote: »
    Mines gone too. Dublin 12 area, currently in town in Internet cafe, rang em up and someones coming out on Thursday, a week from when I rang them terrible service. TV is messed up too, sound comes through but no picture.

Lads - Ive been with UPC now for 2 years.. always on the 20MB package and got the upgrade at xmas to 30MB...ive had 5 engineers out putting in brand new cables twice, and even a dedicated new feed through my wall for broadband.. (Clarehall area)
    Ive been told. since i have been waiting on the phone option in my area since I signed up, that my area would get an upgrade in Equipment at the exchange but since the past year its ---next month, next month, they are working on it now---- blah blah blah...
    when i started complaining about speeds it was because i was dropping down to 10-12MB but now every day at 18:00 in the past moth its dropping down to 1-2MB... this is just deplorable... a chap I read in another thread is getting the same speeds in Swords and another in Artane..
    I think its about time for UPC to own up to its clients that since they stupidly announced a 30MB Fibre package they have had an influx of people jumping ship from BT and Eircom and as a result their network infrastructure has officially gone into meltdown...
    Their terms and conditions says that we should get compensation if they are not providing a proper service.... they are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pedromorris

vibe666 wrote: »

when you email them you'll get an automated response with a case number assigned to it. just use that mail (or their most recent reply) to follow up asking if it's still being worked on and how long they expect it to take.

what email address? Ive emailed them twice now and havent had a reference number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

I think its about time for UPC to own up to its clients that since they stupidly announced a 30MB Fibre package they have had an influx of people jumping ship from BT and Eircom and as a result their network infrastructure has officially gone into meltdown...

Yeah they won't though.......

Right here's the speed at the moment:

785499702.png

Which is good considering what time it is!!! I couldn't even post up a speed last night, couldn't get speed test to even open, that was how slow the connection was!

I rang UPC twice yesterday due to loss of phone and broadband....this time I was given 2 different stories.....apparently neither of these customer reps knew of any upgrading being done in Swords (which is what I was told last week!) And the problem isn't where they said it was, now they're saying it's outside my house (the Engineers that called said there was nothing wrong with the cables outside my house!)

Network crew have put in a date for fixing my problem...next Friday!!!

Needless to say I have given them until 12pm on Monday for someone to get in touch with me to give me a straight answer.......

disco girl wrote: »
    Right here's the speed at the moment:

785499702.png

disco girl

this is mine just now over WIRELESS

785541141.png

AND WIRED

785543611.png

We will how it goes throughout the evening.

785590060.png @1914

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

786264856.png

At 2am on the button it went back to 15mb, now look what im getting, this is a joke....

Yep my speeds are crap too!

786279483.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I've been getting dropout, or hwat io presume are drop outs for the last week or two. I'e be browsing the internet, and every now and then i won't be able to load pages for about a minute or so. It's strange because i stay connected, and the 'dropout' doesnt affect anything i might be downloading at the time. I've tried a few different browsers, but the same thing happens on all of them - Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what email address? Ive emailed them twice now and havent had a reference number!
    customer.support@upc.ie

Well they've been consistently crap all day...

786504466.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

15mb line and I get a whopping:

786591097.png

lol maybe all of us on 1 or 2 meg at the mo should join up for a few ps3 games.....could you imagine the lag!! :D

786615645.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Magnet speedtest. Its infinitely more reliable than speedtest.net
    I could check Speedtest get a result of 10Mb download, the i could check the Magnet speedtest i will get 28Mb down and 2900 upload. My downloads always max out but Speedtest is always showing low numbers. I dont take any notice of that site.

Never have had problems with UPC in the year ive been with them, well the modem/router is horrible but besides that.

Just tried that magnet test:

Got 8ms ping
    Download Speed: 1195 kbps (149.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1438 kbps (179.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

and did a speedtest just after:

786638501.png

not much of a difference.....still not getting 15meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'm not alone so, in In Swords myself, and getting 2-3mb after 18:00 ish.

It's only been like this for a week, i'm not complaining and tbh anyone else who came from Eircom can't really either. I've had UPC for, i think a good bit over the year, and it's been brilliant, just a bad week. Compared to the constant trouble experience with eircom previously.

• Advertisement

Same here

Speedtest Results

786644565.png

Magnet Results

Ping 9ms

Download Speed: 2194 kbps (274.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1014 kbps (126.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm not alone so, in In Swords myself, and getting 2-3mb after 18:00 ish.

It's only been like this for a week, i'm not complaining and tbh anyone else who came from Eircom can't really either. I've had UPC for, i think a good bit over the year, and it's been brilliant, just a bad week. Compared to the constant trouble experience with eircom previously.

So only like this for a week you say. I signed up at the wrong time then... :)

Today i had poor speeds all day long!

Anyway quite a few folks here from swords now. I wonder what the hell is going on? Some say upgrades, others never heard a word of upgrading being done...

I have a engineer calling in the morning, would anyone like me direct any questions to him on your behalf while I have him / her.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Swords area

30mb package

Absolutely rubbish tonight, speeds of 2mb

Not happy one bit: /

Sweet fookin jesus

786660001.png

Aint that scandalous folks!!

Does anyone else have the phone as well as the broadband with Upc??

John, as a bye, we were told that there was a noise problem at the node on the Rathbeale Road, we were told the cables were fine outside the house, then we were told that the cables weren't fine outside the house.......you may/may not get a definitive answer.

Can you, from me, ask the engineer "no bull****" what exactly is the problem, is it the influx of new customers and they don't have the resources in place.

I have now been given various different reasons:

1. Noise on the line...

2. Cables outside house fine, it's the node on the Rathbeale road...(engineers that called out 12/4)

3. No it's the cables outside your house....

4. Your modem seems fine, you just seem to be getting intermittent connection on the line..network crew will have it fixed between 5-7 working days. (day 5 -16/4)

5. We're upgrading the lines, will be finished this weekend (week 14)...

6. No there's no upgrading going on in Swords at the mo....

7. We have identified the problem and it will be fixed by the weekend...

8. Network crew have estimated that the issue will be resolved by next Friday (23/4).....but I was told 5-7 working days....."No it's 5-10 working days"...

And that doesn't include the 3 times that I have spoken with the 2nd tier technical people....that were to run tests and get back to me (they haven't)!

All of this has been going on since the 23rd March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 drewaz

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster here.

I've been with UPC for a year or so and till last week speeds were good. Been checking them regularly because of bad experience with previous ISP.

I can only confirm what everyone from swords area are saying. Here's proof what's left of my 30 megs:
    786685770.png

Also I get a lot corrupt large files after downloading them via browser or IDM(internet download manager) I guess it's somehow related

Hey all

I think I will print out this thread and highlight the main points, and push the engineer for some answers and I'll report back. He is due between 9 and 1.

Hopefully I will get a knowledgable and experienced engineer.... I wait in hope..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

johnc24 wrote: »
    Hey all

I think I will print out this thread and highlight the main points, and push the engineer for some answers and I'll report back. He is due between 9 and 1.

Hopefully I will get a knowledgable and experienced engineer.... I wait in hope..

You'll get far more 'ammunition' on this thread however it will be a bit long to print out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055764097

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    You'll get far more 'ammunition' on this thread however it will be a bit long to print out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055764097

That's exactly the reason I chose this one! :)

Although I think it will be in vain but I will try. Actually anyone who has engineers coming this week, try printing off some "ammo"
    just to at least try and get our points back to head office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Same problems here in the Sutton area. noticed a drop in speeds over the last 3 days, but only thought of a speedtest tonight.

786703011.png

I have been with UPC for 3 years and this is the worst speed i have ever gotten! I have always been on their max package. On 20mb at the moment.

Advertisement