Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Issues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Yeah I knew it wasn't fibre to the house.....

But my service has been intermittent since mid March....I've been pinging directly to google (per their 2nd tier tech) and have gotten screen caps of the packet losses and the timeouts.

I've now lodged an official complaint and someone from complaints dept should contact me before Wednesday, have engineer coming on Wednesday too.

My d/l has stayed anywhere between 12 - 14.7 but my upload has halved sometimes only getting 0.50 and the ping has doubled (crap for gaming)!!

If nothing is sorted by Wednesday, going to get my complaint number from UPC and submit it to ComReg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Laghead

disco girl wrote: »

QUOTE]

How did you find this out. Anyone I spoke to in upc be it tech or call centre couldn't tell me or were being deliberately vague. I only found it out by examining a piece of the cable they use.

What gaming platform are you on and did you or do you have problems with the router dropping your connection?
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered I havn't had time to read all the posts.

They let it slip!!! (I've spoken to that many of them in there)

I'm on the ps3...yep connection coming and going whenever it chooses, knocks out the phone too.

Have kept screen caps of the ping timeouts and packet losses in case I need them.

Whereabouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

But my service has been intermittent since mid March....I've been pinging directly to google (per their 2nd tier tech) and have gotten screen caps of the packet losses and the timeouts.

I've now lodged an official complaint and someone from complaints dept should contact me before Wednesday, have engineer coming on Wednesday too.

My d/l has stayed anywhere between 12 - 14.7 but my upload has halved sometimes only getting 0.50 and the ping has doubled (crap for gaming)!!

If nothing is sorted by Wednesday, going to get my complaint number from UPC and submit it to ComReg...

How do i check my ping? I am having the exact same problem as you with my internet connection, random dropping for a few minutes, sometimes hours, US light blinking constantly. I would like to file an official complaint against them too. Their service used to be ok but since March, it's been completely crap and they have done nothing about it even after the countless emails i've sent them.

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    How do i check my ping? I am having the exact same problem as you with my internet connection, random dropping for a few minutes, sometimes hours, US light blinking constantly. I would like to file an official complaint against them too. Their service used to be ok but since March, it's been completely crap and they have done nothing about it even after the countless emails i've sent them.

In your start menu, type Run......click on it when it appears in the menu,type cmd, you should get a black box (it will have C:\user\yourname)....type "ping www.google.ie" (without the quotation marks)and hit return....this will give you your packet loss.
    It will look like this -
    C:\Users\yourname>ping www.google.ie

then type "ping -t www.google.ie" (again no quotes) and this will keep listing the ping between you and google, this will also show any timeouts etc....

It will look like this -

C:\Users\yourname>ping -t www.google.ie

I use google cos it's the one the 2nd tier tech told me to ping to when I had to test it for him.

Hope that helps :D

• Advertisement

They let it slip!!! (I've spoken to that many of them in there)

I'm on the ps3...yep connection coming and going whenever it chooses, knocks out the phone too.

Have kept screen caps of the ping timeouts and packet losses in case I need them.

Whereabouts are you?

I'm in Harold's Cross. My internet options are severely here cause the Terenure exchange is ancient or something so I can only get a 7 meg line on dsl with a max of 3 meg. I found this out the hard way.

The crazy thing is that they cant tell us why the modem is dropping the line so much. I've spent hours going through the routers options, as I'd imagine you have, with little success and I'd love to get into the restricted menu to see whats there, tried peeking over techies shoulder but missed it.

I changed the cpe settings to 4 and the lease time to 10000 2 days ago and havn't dropped my xbox connection since, although my laptop connection dropped once after 4 hours today, but normally the connection would have gone after an hour or two.

I don't know if it really affected it because I've fairly limited knowledge of these things but it's the only thing I changed at the time so it seems logical.

Have you tried this, I'd love to know if I'm right or was it just fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Hi,

I know there are a couple of other people having problems with UPC conenction especially around swords where I am. Anyway I am wondering if anyone is getting a 192.x.x.x address intermitantly as the IP address they get from UPC's DHCP servers as oppose to a proper routable IP address (mine are usually in the 79.x.x.x range).

I use to think UPC were good but their connections have gone to pot recently and I'm wondering so I'm trying to get as much info from people as I can get so I can get a much info into the case I log with them.

thanks

@Laghead

We changed the lease time to 72000. We didn't change anything else.

@Joe the Santa

We're in Swords too, we haven't had that happening....maybe just ring them and find out if there is a problem with your lines. Has your IP address changed recently? Ours went from 79.xx.xx. to 89.xx.xx. but we're still having problems with intermittent connection, phone going etc. I've an engineer calling tomorrow (again!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

We're in Swords too, we haven't had that happening....maybe just ring them and find out if there is a problem with your lines. Has your IP address changed recently? Ours went from 79.xx.xx. to 89.xx.xx. but we're still having problems with intermittent connection, phone going etc. I've an engineer calling tomorrow (again!)

nah it only happens in periods when the connection drops and I manually release my IP and then renew it. I rang them saturday about it when they said they would give me a ring back on Monday about it, but as yesterday was a bank holiday today should be when their 2nd level have a proper look at it. However chances are when I ring them when I get home there won't be anyone available to talk to so I will probably have to ring them from work tomorrow.

nah it only happens in periods when the connection drops and I manually release my IP and then renew it. I rang them saturday about it when they said they would give me a ring back on Monday about it, but as yesterday was a bank holiday today should be when their 2nd level have a proper look at it. However chances are when I ring them when I get home there won't be anyone available to talk to so I will probably have to ring them from work tomorrow.

The 2nd tier will probably not ring you.....they work until 10pm so if you ring early enough you should get through to someone...however they may fob you off with "we'll need to run some tests and that can take a while to do, so we will have to ring you back" so you may need to be firm. Keep an account of when the connection is dropping and who you speak to in UPC....

• Advertisement

Hi,

I know there are a couple of other people having problems with UPC conenction especially around swords where I am. Anyway I am wondering if anyone is getting a 192.x.x.x address intermitantly as the IP address they get from UPC's DHCP servers as oppose to a proper routable IP address (mine are usually in the 79.x.x.x range).

I use to think UPC were good but their connections have gone to pot recently and I'm wondering so I'm trying to get as much info from people as I can get so I can get a much info into the case I log with them.

thanks

My address has always started 192........ but I'm in Harold's Cross so I don't know if it makes any difference. I've never had an address change though. Like disco girl says all you can do is contact them. Do you ue the 192 address to access your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

I think it is just router that assign itself 192xxx IP, if You press renew straight after You get 192xxx, it usually gets normal IP. Don't see any worries here. Plus I didn't have any problems with internet for... two or three weeks now, except may be one\two lose of connection, but renew helped.

PS: Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

[QUOTE/]

How did you find this out. Anyone I spoke to in upc be it tech or call centre couldn't tell me or were being deliberately vague. I only found it out by examining a piece of the cable they use.

.[/QUOTE]

UPC told me directly it wasnt fibre into the house. I queried their bb by email and when they rang back i asked how the broad band entered the house and they said fibre on the street and cable into your house.

i have upc since ths morningn, got 15mb until late afternoon and now itas at 10. 30% down but it beats .5mb from vodafone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BLissIRL

FTTC is what we get not FTTH and even curb is a stretch fttc would be to the cabinet in our case.
    They have totally messed up with putting config files into modems the uploads are restricted on each modem on purpose.
    Example i got a neighbour who just got 30 mb package to give me his modem for half an hour and low and behold the speeds were full 3.5 mb/s down and 3mb upload .
    My own modem down speeds i cant complain about its the upload it wont budge passed 1.4 mb upload. bitorrent, ftp, http even encrypted ssl tunnel will not budge above 1.4 mb ( I host each type of server).
    My 20 mb package used to up at 1.7mb constant.

Im tired of upc throwing in the towel ADSL 2 and Wimax are good alternatives if 1,500 metres from telephone exchange- adsl2 is looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

disconnected twice during MW2, within 45 minutes of each other, went back on straight away but I got disconnected from the entire game. FFS I switched to UPC to be rid of these kinda problems.

Also, why doesnt UPC have a voice on these forums yet? surely they'd hire a few to deal with people on here.

Right, well the engineers called yesterday and oh what a surprise, it's still the same fault that they came out to check on the 12th April!!! They can't tell when/if it will be fixed......

Because it's so intermittent they would have to sit there all day to see what is happening..

Had someone from complaints dept ring me today....told her what the story was, she was to get in touch with someone and get back to me......hasn't been back today so far...

It disconnected me from Mw2 last night and has cut me off twice today so far....

May start a poll to see if anyone else in Swords is losing the phone/bb intermittently....as I'm being told it's affecting everyone, not just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

happened to me twice today too. I'm in limerick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Again my "broadband" connection dropped today.
    To people thinking of getting UPC..read the endless threads here about the crappy service.

I am posting via my Meteor usb "broadband" stick. At least I can get steady connection with this.

I got UPC Digital Max HD + a couple of weeks ago
    I rang today to cancel..its just not worth the grief. In the last 10 years or so with Eircom I never had to call them once, no wonder UPC/Corus/NTL users here seem to post a lot..the service is terrible for many many customers.

So I cancelled, here is why :-

1) I get billed more than i was confirmed for by email, its only a few euro, but it is more for the HD, more for the "Digital Max", its more for the 5mb "broadband" - it's systemically overcharging.

2) I wanted a 5mb package and the first day on install i had it. Since then it is a rock steady 3mb or less!. Its not contention - pings are low,packet loss is zero, and its rock solid 3mb on downloads since day two - someone has changed me to a 3mb link for some unknown reason ???. Reading the boards posts about tech support nightmares..i don't want to go through that, the modem is fine, the line is fine, why did i never ever have this issue on a phone line in the last 3 gaffs with three different providers?

3) I tried to register on "My UPC" - in the hope that i see what my details where there without waiting for 30 minutes of "your call is important to us"... But i always get "customer not found!", I emailed them..i got a nonsense reply about my details being updated and was i happy with it..no...i still cannot register for my My UPC, so I sent a second email..this time they told me to send a mail to another address..two days ago which haven't bothered to respond.

UPC have terrible customer service, if you have an issue don't expect it to get resolved soon. They are marginally better than NTL in that you wait maybe 30 minutes for customer care instead of an hour..but other than that...caveat emptor.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 driverdj3000

UPC broadband is terrible.
    "fibrepower" my arse. it travels along a copper line before it gets to the fibre.
    i had upc broadband and they treated me like dirt so i got rid of them.it was unreliable 50% of the time
    also whats the point of 30mb connection when upc regularly throttle torrents so u dont hog the bandwidth.
    i now have real fibre broadband from magnet.50 mb down/8mb up!!
    contention free and in 18 months its never slowed or been offline.not for a second!
    Boycott upc-Tossers!!!:mad:
    813631873.png

"fibrepower" my arse. it travels along a copper line before it gets to the fibre.
    i had upc broadband and they treated me like dirt so i got rid of them.it was unreliable 50% of the time
    also whats the point of 30mb connection when upc regularly throttle torrents so u dont hog the bandwidth.
    contention free and in 18 months its never slowed or been offline.not for a second!
    813631873.png

Where are you??? Liking those figures!! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

813631873.png

Didn't know Magnet had FTTH 18 months ago or 50 Mb speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 driverdj3000

im in santry.
    apparently magnet installed fibre through the walls of some apartment complexes during building,im lucky enough to live in one.moved in 18 months ago but as far as i know its been there 3 yrs.
    UPC just get on my wick.i know so many people that have been treated terrible by them including myself.my friend was scheduled appointments 3 separate times to have his poor broadband checked out and everytime they didnt show up or even phone.
    when he wanted to cancel (1 week after getting it) they said he had to give 30 days notice and pay a fee!!!!!! HA:eek:
    and they advertise fiber power broadband.
    Its such a lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 conorbyrneirl

UPC have taken over our tv service recently...wow I thought Broadworks were bad...their customer service is awful. They just see everything with UPC eyes...they dont think about things from the consumer perspective. For example, my TV was off for 2 full days, I spoke to a neighbour who told me that UPC were fixing it (so they knew there was a problem). The service is still patchy in my area and when I called to let them know about that, I said I wanted credit on my account for the 2 days I was without TV (remember their engineers were on site and knew about it). But because I didnt call them and tell them I cant get credit! Seriously..so I have to tell you about a fault you already know about and if I dont I have to pay for your service??

How about this....you knew there was a problem, you knew the area where there was a problem, so go into the accounts and credit the customers in that area. Simple.

Imagine the goodwill that would create (especially as we now have the option of sky to switch to)

Now that would be "Changing for the better" it would be a real way to show that you are committed to "bringing you the services you deserve" and that you are "committed to offering our customers excellent service at all times"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

For the first time in months this morning my upc broadband is not working, I had great performance ever since I got it but now all lights are on but no network connectivity and very funny IP addresses shown.

So I tried to call UPC, but they only open at 0900 and after 17 minutes of wait I got a nice lady stating that it's a known issue in my area (Swords) and they are working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

For the first time in months this morning my upc broadband is not working, I had great performance ever since I got it but now all lights are on but no network connectivity and very funny IP addresses shown.

So I tried to call UPC, but they only open at 0900 and ever since I'm in a waiting game with them.

Did anybodys UPC in Swords go down too?

I had an internal IP address in the 10.x.x.x Range this morning too. In Sandyford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

seems to be a major fault in north dublin. down in killester also

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kilters

UPC Broadband & Phone down in Dublin 9 (Drumcondra). Been down since early this morning.

Modem sitting there with just US and DS lights solid but no phone or internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bk109

Kilters wrote: »
    UPC Broadband & Phone down in Dublin 9 (Drumcondra). Been down since early this morning.

Modem sitting there with just US and DS lights solid but no phone or internet.
    Same in Dublin6W(Terenure) since around 1AM the connection has been down ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I'm down too. In knocklyon. Anyone else in knocklyon have issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

The whole city seems down, Im in ballsbridge. Note on their 1908 line of an update at 9.30.

Must say great service otherwise.

Im off to ring again ;-)

Advertisement