Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurley Maker

Options
  • 16-04-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a hurley maker in Galway County, can anyone reccomend one? I've gone to various hurley makers in the past and want to try a different one now. If anyone could PM me if they know a good one that would be mighty! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/home
    he was on dragons den last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

At the moment, there are quite a lot of hurl makers in Galway. I've listed below all the makers that I know of and heard about (some details might be incorrect, see question marks). I haven't included contact details but these can be found by searching the phone book or using any of the numerous online search engines
    • Dunne Hurls, Eyrecourt
    • Tom Joe Larkin, Killimor
    • Philip Larkin, Loughrea
    • McKeigue, Kiltormer ?
    • Tony Ward, New Inn
    • Kevin Molloy, Kilnadeema
    • Paddy O'Dea, Ardrahan
    • Seamus Canning, Mullagh
    • Higgins, Sylane/Corofin?
    • Tony Keady, Oranmore
    • Johnny Kelly, Portumna
    • John Clancy, Beagh/Tubber
    • Heffernan, Rahoon ?
    In my opinion of all the makers in Co.Galway, Paddy O'Dea's hurls are the best. They have the classical Galway pattern with a very rounded bos. Quite a few of the county players use O'Dea hurls such as Farragher, O. Canning, Burke, Barry, Lynch, Moore, Collins, Harte and Callinan.

There are good reports doing the rounds about Molloy & Dunne hurls. The Molloy hurls are very similar to Paddy O'Dea's.
    Philip Larkin hurls are well finished but they are very like the O'Connor hurl from Cork. TJ Larkin's hurls have good ash but the finish isn't the best. Finally, Seamus Canning's hurls have a good reputation and are used by his brother Joe.

Overall, everybody has their own opinion on who makes the worst/best hurl. You just have to try them all and find one which you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

I use TJ Larkin's hurls, but always break 2/3 every summer, they usually split straight down the middle. Keith Kilkenny from Kiltormer makes a nice hurley I hear.
    however, if you are looking for something different try a plastic cultec hurl.. type in 'CULTEC LEADER IN HURLEY DESIGN' in the google search bar. Damien Coleman sells them in his sports shop in Portumna.. they are around 40/50 quid, but will obviously last longer..?!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aghada3

Submara wrote: »
    At the moment, there are quite a lot of hurl makers in Galway. I've listed below all the makers that I know of and heard about (some details might be incorrect, see question marks). I haven't included contact details but these can be found by searching the phone book or using any of the numerous online search engines
    • Dunne Hurls, Eyrecourt
    • Tom Joe Larkin, Killimor
    • Philip Larkin, Loughrea
    • McKeigue, Kiltormer ?
    • Tony Ward, New Inn
    • Kevin Molloy, Kilnadeema
    • Paddy O'Dea, Ardrahan
    • Seamus Canning, Mullagh
    • Higgins, Sylane/Corofin?
    • Tony Keady, Oranmore
    • Johnny Kelly, Portumna
    • John Clancy, Beagh/Tubber
    • Heffernan, Rahoon ?
    In my opinion of all the makers in Co.Galway, Paddy O'Dea's hurls are the best. They have the classical Galway pattern with a very rounded bos. Quite a few of the county players use O'Dea hurls such as Farragher, O. Canning, Burke, Barry, Lynch, Moore, Collins, Harte and Callinan.

There are good reports doing the rounds about Molloy & Dunne hurls. The Molloy hurls are very similar to Paddy O'Dea's.
    Philip Larkin hurls are well finished but they are very like the O'Connor hurl from Cork. TJ Larkin's hurls have good ash but the finish isn't the best. Finally, Seamus Canning's hurls have a good reputation and are used by his brother Joe.

Overall, everybody has their own opinion on who makes the worst/best hurl. You just have to try them all and find one which you like.

what is the number for seamus canning hurleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

paddy o dea from ardrahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the hurling master

what is the number for o dea hurls in ardrahan??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

what is the number for o dea hurls in ardrahan??

Paddy O'Dea, Roughan, Ardrahan.
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/MessagePage.aspx?TopicID=28089

Apologies biko, my bad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carnmore123

tony keadys are class

• Advertisement

tony keadys are class

Good man Tony,how's things?

punk77 wrote: »
    Good man Tony,how's things?

oh i am not tony haha,i was just sayin i like playin with his hurleys

oh i am not tony haha,i was just sayin i like playin with his hurleys

Whatever turns you on.LOL.

punk77 wrote: »
    Whatever turns you on.LOL.
    hahahhaahah hilarious...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Philip Larkin hurleys are by far the best IMO. Been using them for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

5th November 2012

Paddy O'Dea

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

Sorry to hear that Paddy O'Dea died. I heard he had been unwell. Best hurl maker in Galway and Ireland. His sticks will become valuable now. Luckily I got 5 hurls off him last summer and have them in safe keeping!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmoran

any body ave number for kevin molloy hurleys in kilnadeema.co galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Some photos of hirley making in Kilkenny, hope okay to link here (vaguely related)
    http://www.photoblog.ie/2012/09/05/wicked-game/

• Advertisement
Advertisement