Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Sheelin

Options
  • 16-04-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im very new to this. I was out on Sheelin yesterday with lane minnows searching for trout but didnt get a bite. Came in around 8pm. I was wondering is anyone familiar with the lake and could give me a few hints for lure or spinner fishing on the lake?

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i fish it a lot and its a lough where conditions have to be right, its not an easy lough and you have to find the trout. at this stage of the season trout will be usually found in very shallow water close to the shore, points and islands and spinning wont be too productive there. if you fly fish then in calmer shallower water then use weighted shrimp or hog-louse patterns fished deep in shallow rocky areas and fished slow. if more breezy fish dunkeld, black pennell, claret dabblers, sooty olive or firey brown. strangely trolling and spinning have not been overly successful on Sheelin for a few years now. there should be a few duckfly around soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Static spinning is fine but there is no trolling on Sheelin until 1st May.
    Check the Shannon regional fisheries website for rules, the guide they printed has the wrong dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

theres a serious amount of weed in sheelin, maybe at this time of the year a little less but unless you know sheelin your going to run into weed all day trolling,unless of course you stay out in the deep..... throw up the flies if its just trout your after.....

weed can be a bit of a problem but not at this stage of the season. due to the harsh winter weather the season is a bit behind schedule. But in june/july some shallower parts do get weedy, but really this does not hamper angling too much as at that time better fishing will be found at the drop off's from shallow to deep. then when the sedges come out to play:D:D get the rods out pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

weed can be a bit of a problem but not at this stage of the season. due to the harsh winter weather the season is a bit behind schedule. But in june/july some shallower parts do get weedy, but really this does not hamper angling too much as at that time better fishing will be found at the drop off's from shallow to deep. then when the sedges come out to play:D:D get the rods out pronto

yep true enough....

you been fishing it lately? much fly life? duckfly up or a couple of weeks away yet? the warmish weather of late will help bring along the fly life...

• Advertisement

No have not been out for two weeks now. i will be out this weekend, weather permitting, should be a few duckfly around now, but Sheelin is not the greatest of duckfly loughs, it does have them, but the hatch is nothing like Corrib or even Ennell.
    Yes the mild weather will help a lot.
    tight lines:)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Has anyone been on Sheelin lately? How is the fishin'?

Is Sheelin best in the evenings at this time of the year or is it any good during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Summers evenings are always the best, but during the day will work too.

at this stage of the season you will need dull conditions for good daytime fishing....if it is sunny go to the pub..........:) trout are feeding on small brown sedges now but there are billions of perch fry in it now...and i mean billions.......

Advertisement