Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy kills dad with sledgehammer after being banned from playing computer games

Options
  • 16-04-2010 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy in southern Russia has been charged with killing his father with a sledgehammer after his parents tried to stop him from playing computer games.

The unnamed boy in the coastal town of Tuapse, located by the Black Sea in Russia's southern Krasnodar region, bludgeoned his father to death while he lay sleeping, regional investigators said.

"At around 1am (local time) on April 12, the suspect dealt his sleeping father at least two blows on the head with a sledgehammer," the region's investigative committee said.

"The man died on the spot from a head injury.

A spokeswoman said the parents had taken away the keyboard as a disciplinary measure after he spent a week playing computer games.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/boy-kills-dad-with-sledgehammer-after-banned-from-playing-computer-games/story-e6frfro0-1225853471820

Achievement Unlocked :D
    Sad, but watch the anti-violent games brigade blame this on the violence in games and He was playing Halo BTW, which is not the most violent and pretty cartooney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,993 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We all know who's really to blame here - Peter Gabriel

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

o1s1n wrote: »
    We all know who's really to blame here - Peter Gabriel

He's to blame for any problems with Steam too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lionel Richie??

Halo.... is it me you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/boy-kills-dad-with-sledgehammer-after-banned-from-playing-computer-games/story-e6frfro0-1225853471820

Sad, but watch the anti-violent games brigade blame this on the violence in games and He was playing Halo BTW, which is not the most violent and pretty cartooney.

Halo on PC?
    It says they took away the keyboard as a disciplinary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was positive this was either going to be Russia or Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He should have realised they were doing him a favour by stopping him playing Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

well if videogames don't raise your kids, who will? Horrible, horrible news but I can't help wondering if the parents encouraged/allowed such an unhealthy addiction/obsession/selfishness in the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bannnnnnhammerrrrr!!!!!

seriously though thats sick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

TomCo wrote: »
    Halo on PC?
    It says they took away the keyboard as a disciplinary measure.

Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 have been on the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Interesting. I was always led to believe by mass media that it was computer games that caused teen violence, but it turns out that it's actually a lack of computer games that causes violence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

After the killing, the boy's frightened mother gave him the keyboard back and the boy played computer games for several more hours until he fell asleep

That's the oddest bit: The way he apparently just went ahead and played the computer game after killing his father.
    You should never reward a child for having a tantrum.

It was the Catcher in The Rye.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Shocking, but sadly not uncommon, I hate to here about things like this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Arrest MC Hammer! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Sister Sledge too!

It sounds like the kid had problems beyond being denied games.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It sounds like the kid had problems beyond being denied games.

Yeah, he was playing one of the most overrated games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Teen kills mother over computer

They should just ban computers all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

BopNiblets wrote: »
    How? you can't touch him:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sad, but watch the "games are not linked to violence" brigade blame this on a mental health issue without knowing jack about the report... typical crap really. :rolleyes:

Well this case has backed up my initial posts which were laughed at and heckled out of here... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sad, but watch the "games are not linked to violence" brigade blame this on a mental health issue without knowing jack about the report... typical crap really. :rolleyes:

Well this case has backed up my initial posts which were laughed at and heckled out of here... :)

Don't let the door hit You on the way out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Shocking, but sadly not uncommon, I hate to here about things like this :(

Depends on what you mean by uncommon. In relation to, say, drug related murders, I would say that a computer game related murder, it related it be, is very uncommon.

Master of the Universe

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Teen kills mother over computer

They should just ban computers all together.

Indeed.

Everyone knows that violence didn't exist before videogames.

Master of the Universe

but watch the "games are not linked to violence" brigade blame this on a mental health issue without knowing jack about the report... typical crap really. :rolleyes:

I think if you beat someone to death with a sledgehammer you're probably not exactly of the best mental health.

Plus there aren't even any sledgehammers in Halo. Maybe if he had of teabagged him to death instead....

Exactly. Are they going to ban violent films too? Not likely. The responsibility lies with the parents, there's an age recommendation on the packaging and they should adhere to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Wow, just wow.

Yeah cause obviously the kid was at the peak of mental health. :confused:

Because obviously halo is a famously violent game and all the kids who play it kill their dads with sledgehammers :confused:

And obviously the kid wasn't bat **** crazy , and that response would never have happened if they took away something else a kid like that might be addicted too, TV, seeing his friends , grounded in his room... etc etc :confused:

Obviously you know everything about the report if you conclude halo made the kid kill his dad with a sledgehammer... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Bet no one checked the re-spawn point in the other room. Hes camping.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

There was an artical in yesterdays Sunday Times mag. On-line-switched off all about the best young people that spend over 12 hours a day on-line and there mental state.

Pure excited anti gaming about how kids get violent if there asked to spot, it seems to miss the fact that most of the kids interveiwed had mental issues to start with and gaming only added to the problem.

But what ever sells papers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I know kids get all caught up in video games, and Ive seen it take over to the point where it literally rules the kids life until he/she gets bored and moves on to the next obsession but honestly?? Theres something wrong in a person to begin with if they actually go and take a sledgehammer to another human being, for WHATEVER reason! If the mother seriously went and handed the kid back the keyboard AFTER this happened then this family has serious issues which dont stem from a video game..I actually think anyway its a certain type of person that gets so into these games that it becomes their world, and for that type of person its very easy for the lines between game and reality to get blurred. NOT the fault of the game, the fault of the persons parents/carers/doctors - whoever is aware of the persons mental conditon. And Id nearly put my life on it that in most of these kind of cases SOMEBODY has previously questioned the persons mental state. Without meaning to sound disrespectful to anyone with mental issues, theres something not quite right to begin with. Before video games got blamed it was movies, before movies it was books, etc..its much easier to point the finger than to go looking for the real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Most people know what a solar flare is, but few know about a very rare and yet very powerful type of solar flare - a "super solar flare." A super solar flare is about as powerful as the nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NEMP) that occurs when a nuclear device that is detonated. A super solar flare or an NEMP could seriously set the world back many, many years as far as technology is concerned. Our earth's atmosphere protects us and our equipment from regular solar flares, but can be easily penetrated by a super solar flare. Which could damage everything from our modern electronics :eek:to the power grid.

Armageddon from game players.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Did he teabag him after the melee kill?

Horrible story but theres always deep routed problems not exposed in these reports covered by video games.

**** I know all about it from airsoft and how reports completely misguide readers.

I do however FULLY BLAME THE SIMS for being the cause of 21st century celebrity craze

Advertisement