Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music scene Galway

Options
  • 16-04-2010 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I'm so sick of going out in Galway. I'm bored to tears of ending up in the same places everytime I go out (my own fault!) but it seems when you eliminate the student bars (no offence but I'm too old or it) and the meat markets there's not an awful lot of places left. I'm talking about clubs by the way. I like going out to clubs to dance and listen to good music but there seems to be **** all of a music scene in Galway. Am I missing something? Where do people go if they want to listen to reggae, funk, modern jazz, Electronic, acid, techno or drum and bass and shake their booty til four a.m. Or is there jut no sort of scene like that? I know there's the occasional gig but dafunk ain't the type to remember or organise to be somewhere on the third Tuesday of every second month for a half hour dj set.

Comments

dafunk wrote: »
    Where do people go if they want to listen to reggae, funk, modern jazz, Electronic, acid, techno or drum and bass and shake their booty til four a.m. Or is there jut no sort of scene like that?
    Galway is small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

but dafunk ain't the type to remember or organise to be somewhere on the third Tuesday of every second month for a half hour dj set.

In my Galway, people who speak in the third person get their vibrant music scene confiscated, then they get sent to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Am I missing something? Where do people go if they want to listen to reggae, funk, modern jazz, Electronic, acid, techno or drum and bass and shake their booty til four a.m. Or is there jut no sort of scene like that? I know there's the occasional gig but dafunk ain't the type to remember or organise to be somewhere on the third Tuesday of every second month for a half hour dj set.

How big do you think Galway is?
    If you had a saturday night that you hopefully would remember to go out for and wanted those different music tastes plus add in the usual chart stuff, plus maybe a more laid back vibe, plus rock etc,etc, then you would be talking about having to have loads of different clubs with about 10 people in them.
    This isnt a city with a million people in it to make that sort of thing viable. Surely that isnt rocket science to work out?
    And of course you could always try and get something up and running yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately you'll have to travel to Dublin or probably London for that stuff.
    Not sure, maybe Limerick or Cork has that type of scene.
    Galway is heavily slanted towards trad, which I'm definitely fine with.
    Gigantic at Kellys?

biko wrote: »
    Gigantic at Kellys?
    Finished a few weekends ago I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

The Galway Advertiser entertainment section for starters.
    Galway has a good selection entertainment wise when you think of whats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Cuba is decent for electronic/house/techno Dj's OP.

Bar 903 usually has a decent dj on a friday(I think) plus cuba gets decent gigs regular enough. Japanese popstars for one play there quite a bit.

The blue note has good local djs playing house/funk etc at the weekends.

The city is a bit too small though for a full on dance scene in fairness. Dublins only 2 hours away these days, and there's quality dj's playing there every wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Áras na nGael on Dominic Street has played drum n' bass and reggae in the past. As bigeasyeah says, keep an eye on the Advertiser to see what's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Tonight Arus is loosely 'world': DJ Zing-ha, Will Softly and one other guy I hear.. Promises to be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Lower State, downstairs in the Cellar has techno/electro on Saturday nights with the occasional big name playing.

But you're right, Galway is crap when it comes to dance music. There hasn't been anywhere decent to go since the Boogaloo and Outragesous days in the Black Box.

Except for 110th street sometimes in the past.

• Advertisement

Entrepreneurial opportunity for someone?

110th Street if it's around.. Kellys was great with Gigantic and if Fish go Deep are on in Cellar, sell your left kidney to go.

isnt there a new live gig area upstairs in monroes? supposed to be big enough to hold 600-700 bodies

might be worth checking out but dont ask me what type of music is there, havent a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Webbs wrote: »
    How big do you think Galway is?
    If you had a saturday night that you hopefully would remember to go out for and wanted those different music tastes plus add in the usual chart stuff, plus maybe a more laid back vibe, plus rock etc,etc, then you would be talking about having to have loads of different clubs with about 10 people in them.
    This isnt a city with a million people in it to make that sort of thing viable. Surely that isnt rocket science to work out?
    And of course you could always try and get something up and running yourself!

Yes, Galway is small but being a young student city with a supposed artistic and alternative culture I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that there could be one club that caters for these tastes? I would love to start one up but unfortunately do not have the time at the moment for such a project. Perhaps you are right and people have tried before but there isn't enough interest to support a clubnight outside of the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Davegalway wrote: »
    isnt there a new live gig area upstairs in monroes? supposed to be big enough to hold 600-700 bodies

might be worth checking out but dont ask me what type of music is there, havent a clue

Cover bands.

Yes, Galway is small but being a young student city with a supposed artistic and alternative culture I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that there could be one club that caters for these tastes? I would love to start one up but unfortunately do not have the time at the moment for such a project. Perhaps you are right and people have tried before but there isn't enough interest to support a clubnight outside of the mainstream.
    The students are what supports such a number of pubs and clubs.

I used to work in a similar sized town in England. It didn't have any uni and there was only one (rubbish) club and one late bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

You get different 'nights' in Galway - ie dubstep, psytrance, drum-n-base, etc. - maybe once or twice a month each. You just got to keep the eye out for DJs coming through. 903 and arus are good bets as mentioned, Cuba and GPO sometimes do for clubs (they'll often have one section be pop and one the designated DJ).

But Galway is small, and all the genres have enough support to get people out on occasion, but not every night - since it's basically the same crowd. If you had a smaller venue that rotated through different styles once a week - maybe that could work.

Also, some types of electronic music have developed a rep for attracting 'scumbags' - so you have to worry about increased security for a smaller crowd.

Honestly, the type of folks that predominantly have money to spend in clubs in Galway are students during the week and mostly tourists (often Irish tourists) during the weekend.

Students are predominantly mainstream. Not all by a long shot, but many won't develop more 'refined' tastes til post-uni (or during uni). I certainly didn't.

And as for tourists - you get a hen party from Dublin down for the night, you think you're going to get them to a drum-n-base night?

Arus na nGael - Gach Aoine
    Club OA2 le Ben Ó Faoláin, Will Softly agus Mr.Whippy(10i.n.)

Anyone know what sort of stuff these guys do? Can't find any of them on the interweb.

Mr Whippy is the guy who plays down by St. Nic's cathedral (where the market usually is) every summer from an ice-cream van.

Funky stuff. If you can't dance to that, you can't dance (not you personally Dafunk!).

Cool, it's worth a look so? I don't know the guy you're talking about. Shame on me for not having spent a summer in Galway ;) Cheers.

I'm guessing this is him? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9khLJ46zT0

• Advertisement

Yup indeedy.

Know the guy who made that video as well as some of the heads bopping away in the sunshine.

Good day out. Try make it this year :)

kraggy wrote: »
    The Lower State, downstairs in the Cellar has techno/electro on Saturday nights with the occasional big name playing.

But you're right, Galway is crap when it comes to dance music. There hasn't been anywhere decent to go since the Boogaloo and Outragesous days in the Black Box.

Except for 110th street sometimes in the past.

Apparently 'Bad to the Bone' are doing the dj night in the cellar this saturday, any idea about them (seeing as you appear to be 'the person inthe know')?

Arus na nGael - Gach Aoine
    Club OA2 le Ben Ó Faoláin, Will Softly agus Mr.Whippy(10i.n.)

Anyone know what sort of stuff these guys do? Can't find any of them on the interweb.

+1 for Mr Whippy :) Very danceable

Will Softly I really like too, world stuff, but plays other 'related' stuff. The Club night at Aras on Friday was good, he seems to have guest DJs share the set with him at that one, DJ Zing-Ha did more Arabic/Bhangra stuff and the other guy (not sure of name) did more Bassy Roots. All good stuff!

Bring back Club Outrageous! I missed it in its glory, but even heard the stories all the way across the pond!:P

Apparently 'Bad to the Bone' are doing the dj night in the cellar this saturday, any idea about them (seeing as you appear to be 'the person inthe know')?

Not sure who they are but if they're playing on Saturday, they're playing at the Lower State night that's held there and that's usually techno/electronica. Was there on Saturday night for 110th St and it was a good night. But they'd have a very loyal following built up over the years.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Bring back Club Outrageous! I missed it in its glory, but even heard the stories all the way across the pond!:P

Only caught a couple of them back in the day but they were 2 of the best nights of my life.

Crazy times :)

kraggy wrote: »
    Not sure who they are but if they're playing on Saturday, they're playing at the Lower State night that's held there and that's usually techno/electronica. Was there on Saturday night for 110th St and it was a good night. But they'd have a very loyal following built up over the years.

Excuse typos. On a teeny weeny keypad.
    it is in the cellar but I don't think it's lower state. I called the bar and they sai lower state were doing every seco d Saturday and this crowd were on this wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

biko wrote: »
    Gigantic at Kellys?
    Finished a few weekends ago I think.

Yes I think so too but why? Surely this club was going well, anytime I was there it was packed....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Excuse typos. On a teeny weeny keypad.
    it is in the cellar but I don't think it's lower state. I called the bar and they sai lower state were doing every seco d Saturday and this crowd were on this wknd.

Info here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119447418067271

It's monthly though so or in and abouts..Loweratate was on the 3rd and 110th Street on the 17th...
    gandroid wrote: »
    Yes I think so too but why? Surely this club was going well, anytime I was there it was packed....

I don't know what Kelly's are playing at, getting rid of the very successful Gigantic and the crowd pulling Substance on Thursday nights..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

mikom wrote: »
    In my Galway, people who speak in the third person get their vibrant music scene confiscated, then they get sent to bed early.
    Well spoken in the third person, yourself!

Advertisement