Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head Gasket & Rings

• 16-04-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there

Does anyone no were i could get a head gasket and rings for a glanza turbo im living in the wexford area but anywere i try i have to order them in so anyone have any ideas
    Thanks in advance for any help:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you mean piston rings? If so, why does the car need them? AFAIK, it's rare for a car to need rings without having bore wear - i'd find out exactly what's wrong before doing anything. Do bear in mind that i'm not a mechanic, though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mark_09

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do you mean piston rings? If so, why does the car need them? AFAIK, it's rare for a car to need rings without having bore wear - i'd find out exactly what's wrong before doing anything. Do bear in mind that i'm not a mechanic, though.:)

Yea sorry ment to mean piston rings and a head gasket i could you put normal starlet rings and gasket into it but dont think they would last long with the turbo;) so any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Toyota is the best place. Its near impossible to get those type of parts spurious.

Whats the trouble you've had with the engine?

yea i need piston rings and a head gasket i have contacted my local toyota dealers but its costing me over 300 for both so just thought someone might no somewere online i might get them if anyone has any ideas??;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Have you done a compression test?, It would be terrible luck for both to be fried.
    Do the turbos need a decompression plate for the head or is the head low compression?

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Have you done a compression test?, It would be terrible luck for both to be fried.
    Do the turbos need a decompression plate for the head or is the head low compression?
    i have the head an all done and rebored i got a set of pistons but no rings on them it is still in the garage at the moment but when ever i get the gasket and rings the sooner i get it back:(
    i drove the car with no oil in it as it leaked out over night and messed up the engine turbo and clutch wasnt to far from goin either so have everything done just them two peices left:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

Mark_09 wrote: »
    yea i need piston rings and a head gasket i have contacted my local toyota dealers but its costing me over 300 for both so just thought someone might no somewere online i might get them if anyone has any ideas??;)

Give a toyota dealer up north a call. They might post them out to you if you talk nice. I used to deal with Western Cars in Enniskillen when I had a Toyota - they were dead on and a lot cheaper than the crooks South of the border. I'll get crucified for saying that, but not only were they cheaper, the provided a thing called 'customer service' - something not seen in the Republic for decades.

Example: I needed a new key (and programming-in) for a Toyota a few years ago:

Dublin Dealer: "What da fook do you want...that'll be €195 up front and there'll be a charge for tuning it into the car"

NI Dealer: "No problem sir, £30 and I'll tune it in for you - sit down there and I'll get you a coffee while you wait"

could some tell me if thats just the one ring for sale or the set of 4??
    http://speedvisioncps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=62

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

could some tell me if thats just the one ring for sale or the set of 4??
    http://speedvisioncps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=62
    Looks like a set of four (or perhaps three;)) to me - best to email them just to make sure, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

i have the head an all done and rebored i got a set of pistons but no rings on them it is still in the garage at the moment but when ever i get the gasket and rings the sooner i get it back:(
    i drove the car with no oil in it as it leaked out over night and messed up the engine turbo and clutch wasnt to far from goin either so have everything done just them two peices left:confused:

If you had the block rebored, a standard set of rings won't fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ronaneire wrote: »
    If you had the block rebored, a standard set of rings won't fit.

You can get oversized ones afaik, although depending on the overbore you may need to go up a size in piston, there are standard rebore sizes. Although Id imagine that it may just have gotten a light Honing.

Also If it ran out of oil, Id be stripping the engine again, There is no doubt that you will have problems with the cam and the Big ends. You may need to get the crank reground even.

No point in just lashing it back together and having it blow up in a few weeks, I presume the engine is gunna be "pushed":D

Can you put the cynos 1.5 block into a Glanza or was that just the GT turbo? Id give Icetronix or the likes a bell and have a chat with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you have larger then standard pistons(you obviously do if you you got the block rebored)then you will have to get the rings from whatever company made the pistons.

There is no such thing as a standard rebore unless you got the block slieved back to standard cylinder diameter.

Advertisement