Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses on Graphic Design

Options
  • 16-04-2010 9:59am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm dying to do a proper course in graphic design. I've been building websites for years just for a hobby, I mainly use wordpress and joomla now, no interest in coding etc. I like to make attractive clean and simple websites which i can do fairly well with templates etc. I know I have a good eye for good graphic design - but I'm fairly useless at doing it myself.

I'd love to properly learn Photoshop and maybe some others like Illustrator or Fireworks. I'm interested to know how to do things like logo design, digital photo manipulation, and photo retouching etc.

Does anyone know a course that will teach me the basics of these things?

I found this one called Computer Graphic Design in the DunLaoghaire Senior College: http://scd.ie/Computer_Graphic_Design/Default.458.html - 20 week course starting in September. Sounds excellent but its ages away

Has anyone got any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The DTP course in IACT isnt too bad but its pricey.

http://www.iact.ie/iopen24/product_info.php?products_id=30

Covers Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm dying to do a proper course in graphic design. I've been building websites for years just for a hobby, I mainly use wordpress and joomla now, no interest in coding etc. I like to make attractive clean and simple websites which i can do fairly well with templates etc. I know I have a good eye for good graphic design - but I'm fairly useless at doing it myself.

I'd love to properly learn Photoshop and maybe some others like Illustrator or Fireworks. I'm interested to know how to do things like logo design, digital photo manipulation, and photo retouching etc.

Does anyone know a course that will teach me the basics of these things?

I found this one called Computer Graphic Design in the DunLaoghaire Senior College: http://scd.ie/Computer_Graphic_Design/Default.458.html - 20 week course starting in September. Sounds excellent but its ages away

Has anyone got any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Hey Zascar ,

I'm actually doing that course myself at the moment( scd one ), highly recommend it,it covers Photoshop and Illustrator. Its not an in depth course and you wont come away an out an out expert , but you will learn the basics well.

AB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks AB. It's only for my own amusement really, just so I can do the things I want to be able to do with graphics and photos etc, not actually looking to be an expert or go work in the industry. I can use Paint Shop Pro basically but I'd like to be able to use photoshop properly and use to learn some of the advanced features like layers, photo retouching, and maybe a little www.worth1000.com type stuff :)

I say on the site in the description is says "Project consisting of six images created from the original. e.g. bank notes, stamps, web graphics" - Obviously web graphics are important but I've no interest in Bank notes and stamps, how much of each do they go into? I hope they don't teach you useless crap - I'm hoping they stay on the more useful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's loads over at lynda.com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is Lynda any good? I'd prefer a proper classroom based teaching rather than web instruction, however I have not really seen any decent online training...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I found them fine, but I'm more into the web instruction than yourself by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks AB. It's only for my own amusement really, just so I can do the things I want to be able to do with graphics and photos etc, not actually looking to be an expert or go work in the industry. I can use Paint Shop Pro basically but I'd like to be able to use photoshop properly and use to learn some of the advanced features like layers, photo retouching, and maybe a little www.worth1000.com type stuff :)

I say on the site in the description is says "Project consisting of six images created from the original. e.g. bank notes, stamps, web graphics" - Obviously web graphics are important but I've no interest in Bank notes and stamps, how much of each do they go into? I hope they don't teach you useless crap - I'm hoping they stay on the more useful stuff.

Sounds exactly why I wanted to do the course.
    In terms of what you'll cover throughout the course , no you won't do whats mentioned , not sure why they go on about bank notes etc, I think they just haven't updated the site in a while. For your first project you'll have to submit an album / magazine cover or a club flyer , and our current project is to design a company logo in Illustrator.
    But having said that , even if it was bank notes /stamps I wouldn't entirely discount that either , as the principles are what's important rather than what you're designing. Either way , you'll get value out it.
    Also, the course ( year long ) is very cheap ( 350e).
    Once you're up and running with the basics I'd advise you to take a look at a great site called psdtuts.com , some amazing tutorials in there.

Also, +1 on Lynda.com as was mentioned , great , great resource.
    Check out Deke McClleland's "One on One" series for both Photoshop and Illustrator.

Advertisement