Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 3 - "Victory of the Daleks"

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Btw, just for those few who like the new Dalek design and for those briefly thinking that "you know, they weren't that bad, they have grown on me", here's a new screen-cap of the two designs from the episode. 1...2...3...

snap.jpg

Ergh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

nope, not growing on me at all, but apparently according to a key demographic (my 9 year old son) they are obviously 50 times more powerful than the old Daleks. Guess that is christmass sorted, so.

it also means that it is easier for the Dalek actors to move about, but apparently the stopping distance is a bugger.

i really do not like the "airvents" or whatever they are round the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Oh my god the Daleks are HORRIFIC from the side!

Dalek got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Camelot wrote: »
    On the other hand, the New Mini has successfully replaced the old 'classic' in our affections, so maybe the new Daleks will too ? :)
    No, they haven't. The new mini is still a monstrosity.

I really can't see myself growing to like the new Mighty Morphin Power Daleks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

only got around to seeing this tonight (stranded at home away from my bbc etc in london :( )

Didnt think too much of it, was a very rushed episode overall. It really could have worked ass a 2 parter playing out the daleks taunting the doctor in their *we are pets* mode much more...cause that was quite good, though jumped from *oh daleks!* to *D!MN YOU DALEKS* far too quickly.

Also what is it with daleks that they can play the wounded puppy so bloody well. Both in dalek and this my heart felt a small flutter of pitty for the poor things when they played innocent.

Aside from that, adding another sub group of daleks just annoys me (shouldnt the cult of skaro been pure blood aswell? why couldnt these be more like them?) I'd perfer if they tied the return more directly to one of the three already existing groups (which the cult of skaro last being seen in 1930's manhatten...it might have worked with some retcon) all this means is we'll have a bigger headache when someone decides to bring davros back and tries to work out how...

Churchill was annoying and seemed to gain the ability to teleport around just to annoy the doctor (most notable the scene when the doctor challanges the dalek) they also play up the good old churchill routine, which is fine for plucky old english people, but most irish and indian people watching this would have gone...*Churchill's a dick!*

Everybody is having a go at the daleks for being far too big but has anyone said anything about Amy? She's too tall for the set! she actually dwarves the doctor in most of the shots and has the hunch in all the indoor scenes...its hilarious.

I did like the jammy dodger biscuit, but that scene made no sense...what was the doctor actually doing that required the spacefire had to call of its attack while he defused the bomb?

Couldnt he have gone *Danny Boy blast these b*sterds back to Davros, I'm gonna pop out and defuse a bomb, btw the device that activates the bomb is on this ship so the quicker you blow up the ship the higher the chance we get to not bother defusing the bomb*

Really the episode had an uncomfortable time placing characters and pushing them in the right direction, lots of aimless wandering.

not to mention some confusing focus on one of the air controllers and her unseen fiance pilot (which I assume is meant to relate to amy but instead is just a random slodge of uncomfortable lingering shots on some poor girl crying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

The new eye stalks have two ball joints on them.

So it can pivot both at the base and at the tip... allowing it to look around corners or act as a periscope. That's kind of neat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The new eye stalks have two ball joints on them.

So it can pivot both at the base and at the tip... allowing it to look around corners or act as a periscope. That's kind of neat.

Ew. Pervleks!

I don't mind the new designs. I guess because I am a big transformers fan and plastic robots are effectively crack for me.

It's a pity they didn't do something more badass to prove how much more powerful they are though. It's kinda like detergent ads. NEW improved Dalek, way much more better at getting out stubborn civilisations than the last NEW improved Daleks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

What a terrible episode. The 'you can't explode if you're human' thing was just cringe-worthy - pretty much the worst thing I've seen on TV in ages, and I recently watched a few episodes of Glee. And how the hell did they modify the spitfires for space travel in less then 10 minutes? The stoyline about the female aide losing her boyfriend just went no-where, it was pretty bizarre. And the new daleks are way too big imo. Really disappointed.

Ew. Pervleks!

I don't mind the new designs. I guess because I am a big transformers fan and plastic robots are effectively crack for me.

It's a pity they didn't do something more badass to prove how much more powerful they are though. It's kinda like detergent ads. NEW improved Dalek, way much more better at getting out stubborn civilisations than the last NEW improved Daleks!

They are improved.... Two ball joints!

I wonder if some day we'll see a Dalek with three ball joints...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

worst episode so far for the new Dr, felt very rushed and very unfinished. spitfires in space ala star wars...... HOW... my god nice effects but HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

next week i hope for more from the Blink stars... should be fun at least. i feel the original Blink was one of the best episodes in years.. very original and was kinda scary for my little fella.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BrookieD wrote: »
    worst episode so far for the new Dr,
    Though still a long way better than the worst new Dr. Who story - "Fear Her".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Though still a long way better than the worst new Dr. Who story - "Fear Her".
    I don't recall that episode? What's that? I must? Is that a crack I see?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

ixoy wrote: »
    I don't recall that episode? What's that? I must? Is that a crack I see?

"It's bringing love! Don't let it get away!"
    "Break its legs!"

It would still be neat to get David Tennant to carry the Olympic Torch next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

worst episode so far for the new Dr, felt very rushed and very unfinished. spitfires in space ala star wars...... HOW... my god nice effects but HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Indeed. And Leadworth's emotions resetting a bomb. And the Doctor just leaving an advanced android roaming around the 1940's. Big weak points.

Otherwise though, it was a loose-limbed romp through a historical period that is kind of a speciality of Dr Who. Gillan and Smith acquitted themselves quite nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Harmsden

I've no love for the new, humpback Daleks. I wouldn't have had much of a problem if the episode had been more than just a showcase for them.

However I think the first two episodes have been far stronger than the season openers of Davies' reign, and I have to point out that Lucas modelled his Death Star attack scene on WW2 dogfights. Doctor Who is perfectly entitled to have spitfires in space. It's not stealing. It's stealing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Indeed. And Leadworth's emotions resetting a bomb. And the Doctor just leaving an advanced android roaming around the 1940's.

Um... on that I have a question (cause I've been overthinking somewhat :o). So Leadworth goes off to have the oh so human experience, and during this something happens, y'know, one of those things that renders you temporarily emotionally dead inside (since this is a WW2 scenario, lets say his lover dies for example), does that mean the bomb is reactivated and there's essentially a rouge planet destroyer wandering around?

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Um... on that I have a question (cause I've been overthinking somewhat :o). So Leadworth goes off to have the oh so human experience, and during this something happens, y'know, one of those things that renders you temporarily emotionally dead inside (since this is a WW2 scenario, lets say his lover dies for example), does that mean the bomb is reactivated and there's essentially a rouge planet destroyer wandering around?
    All he'd need to do is shout the Doctor's name and all the energies of hope would ward off any bomb's power!

(yeah it's easy to imagine them using that isn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Ha ha I thought the same - one day he gets a bit depressed...BOOM...whoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Utterly underwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

there's essentially a rouge planet destroyer wandering around?

looks a bit like this
    3073995293_2ece110d6c.jpg

sorry embarrassing typo:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

BrookieD wrote: »
    gravity bubble - little ball thing in the headrest doc mentions it trawling through the blue prints wasnt as bad as the you wont explode if your human !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

... there's essentially a rouge planet destroyer wandering around?

Perhaps not a typo after all.....perhaps Mars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

i really do not like the "airvents" or whatever they are round the back.

Health and Safety issue, I believe... Have you ever farted in a phone box? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

gravity bubble - little ball thing in the headrest doc mentions it trawling through the blue prints wasnt as bad as the you wont explode if your human !

also need air, turboprop planes of the time operated very badly at high altitudes where the air in thin. But who cares, its Doctor Who!!

Shoould have been a two parter though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

also need air, turboprop planes of the time operated very badly at high altitudes where the air in thin. But who cares, its Doctor Who!!

nah gravity bubble sorts all that out for you :D

also need air, turboprop planes of the time operated very badly at high altitudes where the air in thin.
    Not if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and use a sonic screwdriver -then all things are possible :)

Wibbly Wobbley timey wimey stuff may also be involved....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

also need air, turboprop planes of the time operated very badly at high altitudes where the air in thin.
    [pedant] spitfires had V12 petrol piston engines[/pedant] :D

I watched it again and I know its Dr Who, but god it was so rushed and cobbled together. Spitfires in space? Great to see, horribly badly explained away. Out of the blue, they retrofit three spits and get them guys in the air? Ditto with the love bomb thing. Very lazy and that laziness of simple story telling was what the previous producer was lambasted for(rightly). But he started off with more "reality" going on in the first series. I had hoped the tidy up at the end for its own sake may have been left behind in the rejig. I know its a fantasy type gig, not "hard" sci fi, but continuity and good story growth should still be present.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not a great episode but I'm starting to wonder if the Doctor will be back to all these places again to fix the cracks. Stuff like the army girl whose man was dead and some strange glances between her and other characters make it look like an unfinished story which is why I wonder if we'll see them again from a different point of view.

Advertisement