Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loosening wetsuit?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hello all,

I bought a Neil Pryde 5/3 recently that fit me perfectly in the shop. During my last few sessions it feels like it's loosened up a bit, and occasionally I get flushes of water down my neck. These wetsuits have a great reputation, so I suspect I've done something to be honest - either I've shrunk or stretched the suit in some way. I do care for it properly post-session and store it correctly. Any ideas? Another potential of course is that it didn't fit me in the shop as well as I thought...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi Edmc,

Could be a few reasons...starting with the obvious...

- wrong size
    - in shop, some folks tend to sweat (warm shop & warm wetsuit!) making it harder to try it on...feels tight when eventually on, then when wetted for first time, layer of water between suit and skin makes it feel big (true size is shown)
    - where is it big? Can depend on the suit...a windsurf & kiteboarding suit should have bigger arms forearms, so you don't cramp up when in use...a surf suit will have less material on arms, for tighter fit, for warmth. If it bunches at the neck, suit is too long. Bunches at the crotch/rear end...did you try it on with underwear on?
    - Wetsuit can stretch on a hanger. Use a large hanger, and take off the hanger when dry.
    - always roll a wetsuit, do not fold.
    - faulty wetsuit

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Pearse
    www.bigsurf.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Thanks Pearse,

Poor fit is probably the best explanation alright. I did try it on with underwear (as a courtesy to anyone else who might try it on after ;)) It's slightly loose around the neck and forearms - with the latter explained by its design for windsurfing use I see. The good news is that it still keeps me fairly warm and I can always wear a thermal layer underneath to bolster it. The real test will come next Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

A Neil Pryde suit won't stretch over time. My previous one I had for 5 years and it fitted me as snugly after 5 years as it did when I bought it. It did rip at the neck a few times but I patched it up. Bigsurf advice is all good

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

bigsurf.ie wrote: »
    - Wetsuit can stretch on a hanger. Use a large hanger, and take off the hanger when dry.

*goes home to rectify this mistake immediately*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

A Neil Pryde suit won't stretch over time. My previous one I had for 5 years and it fitted me as snugly after 5 years as it did when I bought it. It did rip at the neck a few times but I patched it up. Bigsurf advice is all good

Glad to hear it - despite some of my current issues, I plan on using this one for the foreseeable! *also pegs it home to remove it from hanger*

• Advertisement
Advertisement