Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buggy for two babies

• 16-04-2010 10:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

We are due our second and there will be less than two years in age. We are looking to get a double buggy of some sort and wondering what people's experiences were?

I like the phil and teds vibe or dash, but my wife likes the look of the icandy pear (looks a bit awkward to me).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can only speak from the P+T viewpoint but there is 2yrs 2mths between my two and the P+T was perfect for them.
    If I had only bought the P+T first day I would have saved a lot of money instead of buying a travel system and having to get the P+T afterwards.
    The P+T has a very strong frame construction and pneumatic tyres which make a big difference on rougher surfaces like parks and roads.
    The P+T should work until they don't need a buggy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭UnitedRoad

we are in the same situation

we bought a double buggy like the P+T in Smyths called LovenAll... looked great etc and then brought it home and sat our daughter in the 'toddler' seat, straight away the seat pushes back and her head is resting on a bar....

just incase you come across these in smyths, do not get them, my wife phoned them back and said they have had a few people say the same, look exactly the same as P+T but just not suitable

amazed it got to the market as soon as you put a baby in the seat their head wrests against a bar, no padding, covering, nothing

we are bringing it back today, might have to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash on P+T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LukeChadwick

Phil & Ted Sport (Or upgrade to Dash), best double buggy there is. IMHO. VIBE seems clunky and difficult to fold to me. 2 year old and a newborn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

We road-tested the iCandy Apple / Pear when #1 was on the way so we could upgrade the Apple if/when #2 came along, it's a tank. We were totally sold on it till we actually had a go of one. What put me off is that it's difficult to tilt it back (say, like you're trying to go up a curb) when it's empty. Stick two kids on it and it'd be a nightmare to cross a road - and that's before you factor in traffic. And I'm a guy (I'm not a particularly strong guy, but I'd like to think I'm a tiny bit stronger than the average mother of 2 :)

I personally don't like the look of the P&T and I've seen kids sitting in the back straining to see something around the sides to keep them entertained but they're light enough and handle really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I work for a nursery company and I have nothing but praise for Phil and Teds. In my opinion they are the best complete family buggy by far, and as one poster has already said they would have saved a fortune by investing in one for baby#1.

The classic is the intro model with 2 position seat, comes in red only. (beware buying online as private sellers masquerade this as the sport)

The sport is the next model up and well worth the few extra quid compared to the classic, there is an extra recline on the main seat, an adjustable handlebar and a choice of colours. Weighs 11kg for the single buggy.

The dash is the sport upgrade available in black/grey or red/grey and the main additions are the brake is incorporated into the handle and there is an additional padded cushion for both the main seat and the double kit.
    Also the main footrest is a hard plastic as opposed to fabric on the sport as this is usually the first area of wear and tear. Weighs 10.5kg for the single buggy.

The Vibe has a larger aluminium frame (but it's actually lighter than the sport or dash at 10kg for the single buggy) and it is a completely different buggy to the sport or dash. The folding mechanism is different and the brake is an easy operation button on the handle.

One reason that customers go for the dash over the sport is the brake on the sport is very stiff and particularly difficult to operate if it's summertime and you're wearing flip flops. The brake has to have a high amount of torque as the buggy can take a combined weight of 44kg. (most double will only take 30kg)

The advantage that the Phil & Teds has over the icandy is the centre of gravity for the P&T is more centred and so it is much easier to lift up curbs etc. Also the 3wheel inline design makes it much easier to manouver the buggy with just one hand. (Although for newborn twins the icandy is the best on the market.)

hth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I'm also due No.2 when DS1 will be 2yrs 3mths. I'm toying between the P&T and the OutnAbout Double Nipper.

The outnabout is a three-wheeler side by side double. It has fantastic reviews and unlike other side-by-sides there isn't an issue with one side being too heavy when going around corners etc. I went to look at it and my first impression was that it looked quite wide but the shop assistant assured me that it fit through a std door and showed me it going through a std door at the back of the shop. Both seats have full recline, so if your toddler is still having a long nap during the day this can be done in the buggy. It is also extremely light and just glides along so ticks a lot of boxes.

What's pushing me towards the P&T though is that it will have a longer life for me. Realistically my toddler will want to be in a buggy less and less, but he wont be ready for a full-time buggy board for quite a while as we live on a busy street and he has a tendency to want to run off. I don't need that stress with a new-born! With the P&T it converts back to a single buggy while the OutnAbout is a double all the time.

This "double-buggy-dilemma"!! The worst thing about it is that I have a perfectly good travel system packed away here in the house that I paid €500 for, and at the moment DS is in a light Jane stroller (another €100) that I know will probably be the thing I use most by the time baby is 9mths and DS turns three!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Eoineo

If you can road test the Out&About before you buy it - particularly with your door frames!

It's a brilliant double buggy, extremely light - lighter than some of the single size market leaders in the same price bracket. Manouvres like a dream and it's also not too wide.

HOWEVER

It is wide & while you can measure it against the door frame of your front door; you need to take into account the space for the door to open/close. I know of 2 people who were caught out by this & now have to carry the buggy outside and then unfold it before putting the children into it. Super buggy but not great if you have a narrow front door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭calahans

Some good advice there - thanks guys.

We were in town yesterday and had a look at the sport and the vibe. The vibe has a wider wheel base than the sport or dash. It has larger seats too, so maybe its pitched for larger toddlers. Since ours will be smaller and we want it to be as narrow as possible I think we will go for dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

We have the P&T sport, can't recommend it highly enough. Like someone said though the brake is REALLY stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I seen a lovely one on net yesterday its only new out its called britax b duo its like a combination of phil and teds and i candi. im going to look into it myself no2 on the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I had my second when my first was only 2year and 3months ... and never had a double buggy at all.

When my baby was new I would often have her in a sling and my toddler in the buggy, but in all honesty most of the time he just walked.

If I had the time again I would invest in a buggy board allright, but I never regretted not having a double buggy.

I will add that I did not have a car at the time either - so we used to get the train and bus when we needed to go places (and that was when I used the sling more...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rehab1000

has anyone had a problem with phil and teds dash? i find the front wheel impossible to turn. there is no bearing in the cast so it will not swivel and it makes turing very difficult. my wife has hurt her back when trying to turn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

thats odd i have the apple and never have a prob, love it some of the little bumps i don't even have to lift pram and baby never feels the bumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am pregnant again (9 weeks into my first trimester) and my son is just over 7 months old. We want what is best for both of our children. We are thinking of a Phil and Teds but are open to suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Am pregnant again (9 weeks into my first trimester) and my son is just over 7 months old. We want what is best for both of our children. We are thinking of a Phil and Teds but are open to suggestion.

congrats cathy on being preg again, we had babies on the same weekend. Hope everything goes well

bulmersgal wrote: »
    congrats cathy on being preg again, we had babies on the same weekend. Hope everything goes well
    Thanks, we really wanted another child. How is your little one(s)? They will be 14 months apart approximatly - "Irish Twins". We love the look of the Phil and Teds and they seem easy to move.

rehab1000 wrote: »
    has anyone had a problem with phil and teds dash? i find the front wheel impossible to turn. there is no bearing in the cast so it will not swivel and it makes turing very difficult. my wife has hurt her back when trying to turn it.

A lot of people have this problem. In the main it's due to the fact that the pole the front wheel is on and the housing it pops into need lubrication. Remove the front wheel (it just pops out) and apply a lubricant. Should sort it.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks, we really wanted another child. How is your little one(s)? They will be 14 months apart approximatly - "Irish Twins". We love the look of the Phil and Teds and they seem easy to move.

Congrats! Phil & Teds are great. We have the dash. The vibe is a bit bulkier and doesn't have as good a review. If you are buying one buy a cocoon and dont bother with the car seat attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joecreed

Sorry but I never liked the P+T things, the poor child that has to sit in the back looking at a wall!! We bought a Jane PowerTwin Pro for our twins (3 in Janunary) with the detachable carry-seats (for sale if anyone's interested!! :)) and its still going great. Both of the kids are sitting up and have a view of everything (the back is slightly higher). Its 3 wheeler & turns on a sixpence - which is great for the likes of Mothercare in Blackrock SC (not buggy-friendly whatsoever) or Pennys in DunLaoghaire - any of those skinny-aisled shops. Boots in DL too!! Try that with a side-by-side or 4-wheeler. Its was expensive (ended up getting it via the distributer in Belfast for cheaper than Kealys or BabyBiz) but really worth it. Thats just a proud dad's view. Take from it what you will. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

joecreed wrote: »
    Sorry but I never liked the P+T things, the poor child that has to sit in the back looking at a wall!! We bought a Jane PowerTwin Pro for our twins (3 in Janunary) with the detachable carry-seats (for sale if anyone's interested!! :)) and its still going great. Both of the kids are sitting up and have a view of everything (the back is slightly higher). Its 3 wheeler & turns on a sixpence - which is great for the likes of Mothercare in Blackrock SC (not buggy-friendly whatsoever) or Pennys in DunLaoghaire - any of those skinny-aisled shops. Boots in DL too!! Try that with a side-by-side or 4-wheeler. Its was expensive (ended up getting it via the distributer in Belfast for cheaper than Kealys or BabyBiz) but really worth it. Thats just a proud dad's view. Take from it what you will. :D

I went for the jane twin two (4 wheeler version) as the 3 wheeler did not have full recline positions for both front and back seats, and with the 4 wheeler i could have the car seat any way i wanted it. I also didnt like the handbrake (do they this have the hand break on the handlebars).

I think you really have to try them out around the shop and also if the store will let you see if it fits in the boot (the shop we got ours from let us do that).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Had the same problem... as calahans said - it's more than likely just in need of some oil. Ours barely turned at all and they lubed it up in Tony Kealys and it was fine.

Regarding the OP however, I'm not mad on our P&T Dash. Our #2 never looked comfortable in the secondary 'rack' / seat, and even now at 7 months I avoid putting him in it at all. We usually opt for him in the old Bugaboo and his 2+ yr sister on the buggy board, running amok, or in my arms.

Other than there are trips when you just have to have something to strap them both into, I'd happily forgo a double buggy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Look how easy it moves in this vid. there must be something wrong with yours.

Its very compact for a Double and probably the best all rounder. That said, we tried the phil and teds but didn't like it and returned it.

Our next oldest (2yr) child head, rested on the bar. he wasn't particularly tall either. Take the child out of the front seat and it tips backwards if theres one in the back. Fingers very near wheels, and limited storage. No way of using a buggy board for a 3rd. Weight limit for older kids.

We decided, we needed something that did all the above, and took bigger heavier, kids, as the oldest, (5/6) sometimes need to jump on it. We ended up with a Out 'n' about Nipper 360 double. Which is fantastic, but you need the space in the car, and at home as its bigger than a P&T. Its not our only buggy though.

BostonB wrote: »
    Its very compact for a Double and probably the best all rounder. That said, we tried the phil and teds but didn't like it and returned it.

Our next oldest (2yr) child head, rested on the bar. he wasn't particularly tall either. Take the child out of the front seat and it tips backwards if theres one in the back. Fingers very near wheels, and limited storage. No way of using a buggy board for a 3rd. Weight limit for older kids.

We decided, we needed something that did all the above, and took bigger heavier, kids, as the oldest, (5/6) sometimes need to jump on it. We ended up with a Out 'n' about Nipper 360 double. Which is fantastic, but you need the space in the car, and at home as its bigger than a P&T. Its not our only buggy though.

The slight recline is meant to be zipped up when the childs head reaches the bar - that should have been explained to you at point of sale.
    Same situation with lifting a child out of the main buggy - the heavier child is always meant to be in front - so when the double kit is on the back it's meant to be the lighter child in it to ensure the buggy doesn't tip as the weight is meant to be distributed more evenly - again this should have been explained to you.
    The weight limit isn't for "older kids". The weight limit is 40kg for both children combined - which is 10kg more than most double buggies take.
    In saying that -a single buggy weight limit is usually 15kg and I reckon your 5/6yr old is far heavier than is meant for any buggy.

There is a problems with some of the models - there is a lubrication gel that you can get from whoever you bought your dash from. A regular oil won't do the trick - apparantly you need the exact one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The out and about nipper is suitable for children up to 50lb weight so just over 22kg.
    It looks to be the best option in a lot of cases but the major downside seems to be that the handle height is not adjustable.
    I am wondering how people find this?

The slight recline is meant to be zipped up when the childs head reaches the bar - that should have been explained to you at point of sale.
    Same situation with lifting a child out of the main buggy - the heavier child is always meant to be in front - so when the double kit is on the back it's meant to be the lighter child in it to ensure the buggy doesn't tip as the weight is meant to be distributed more evenly - again this should have been explained to you.
    The weight limit isn't for "older kids". The weight limit is 40kg for both children combined - which is 10kg more than most double buggies take.
    In saying that -a single buggy weight limit is usually 15kg and I reckon your 5/6yr old is far heavier than is meant for any buggy.

Its our experience, not everyone has the same issues, or are not bothered by them. We had the problem with the bar, zipped or not. Borrowed a sport and bought a dash. The 360 doesn't have limitations on recline like that, on any seat. Tipping like that isn't a problem on the 360. Personally I think having to shift kids around to balance it is an issue. If minor. The 360 has a 50lb limit. It was useful for us. Not everyone will need it. Also the as weight is better balanced on the 360, its easier to push and steer. Some single buggies actually go up to almost 80lbs. But they were a lot more expensive. For some the 360 isn't an option, its tight squeeze for a single doorway and fills a normal boot. Ours gets used daily though so its worth it.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The out and about nipper is suitable for children up to 50lb weight so just over 22kg.
    It looks to be the best option in a lot of cases but the major downside seems to be that the handle height is not adjustable.
    I am wondering how people find this?

That never occured to me. I'm thinking that would depend on a persons height. Best to go somewhere like Kealys and try them out. Throw a bit of weight on them too, surprising how different some buggies are with a bit of weight. Being a bag and see where you can fit it. Check the head room with the raingear, and how easy it is to put on.

Or try a friends buggy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went to baby world and had a go at folding it and other stuff that I can't do when I ask random strangers can I have a go:)
    I have a tendency to ask random strangers how they find their buggies and would they mind if I have a go,worst they can say is no but they can save me from a bad purchase,the zoo is a great place for doing this.(I have little shame!)
    It folds nearly flat with the wheels off which is a major bonus.
    It is so light but still stable which surprised me as it is prob half the weight of the beloved buggy that we have,I can easily lift it despite being nearly 30 weeks pregnant which is a bonus for subsequent kids.
    Pushing it with a toddler in one side and a baby in the other didn't seem overbalanced either.
    I think my decision is made:)

• Advertisement

I went to baby world and had a go at folding it and other stuff that I can't do when I ask random strangers can I have a go:)
    I have a tendency to ask random strangers how they find their buggies and would they mind if I have a go,worst they can say is no but they can save me from a bad purchase,the zoo is a great place for doing this.(I have little shame!)
    It folds nearly flat with the wheels off which is a major bonus.
    It is so light but still stable which surprised me as it is prob half the weight of the beloved buggy that we have,I can easily lift it despite being nearly 30 weeks pregnant which is a bonus for subsequent kids.
    Pushing it with a toddler in one side and a baby in the other didn't seem overbalanced either.
    I think my decision is made:)
    Which one are you getting then (sorry, pregnancy brain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lurky79

Hi Everyone,

We are expecting twins in March and wanted to know what kind of buggy we should get that will do them from day 1 until they are 2 or so?

We have trawled the internet but 'twin' buggies are often for two children rather than twins, where the back seat is for newborns..... so frustrating! They should be called newborn and toddler buggies! :)

We have looked at the iCandy range and although it looks nice and trendy etc, we dont think it will last too long and it costs a fortune too! Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The out and about nipper 360.

It is suitable for twins or a toddler and baby,I am aiming for future proof;)as well as everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

lurky79 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

We are expecting twins in March and wanted to know what kind of buggy we should get that will do them from day 1 until they are 2 or so?

We have trawled the internet but 'twin' buggies are often for two children rather than twins, where the back seat is for newborns..... so frustrating! They should be called newborn and toddler buggies! :)

We have looked at the iCandy range and although it looks nice and trendy etc, we dont think it will last too long and it costs a fortune too! Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

With or without car seats? some come without any car seats (can get them for €215+, others are sold with car seats (but they cost loads) aprox €645+ for buggy and up to €180 for each car seat and if you want matching foot muffs for car seats an extra €50-70, matching footmuffs for buggy €70-100.

The out and about nipper 360.

It is suitable for twins or a toddler and baby,I am aiming for future proof;)as well as everything else.
    I am in negotiations for one more unless this one is a double. Will check it out - am less than 21 weeks behind you I think.

When I get it we can put Shane and Dearbhail in it and bring them for a walk to try it out:)

• Advertisement

When I get it we can put Shane and Dearbhail in it and bring them for a walk to try it out:)
    Thanks a million :D

Be aware that all these buggys with the inflatable tyres roll with almost no effort. So if you let go of them, they'll roll away. So use the strap on your wrist and the brake.

With inflatable tyres a decent cycling track pump and tubes with angle valves make it much easier to keep the pressure up in the tyres. A compact CO2 gas canister and puncture repair kit is handy for punctures. That said we've had none and rarely need to pump the tyres. On our 360 I put silicon grease on wheels' shafts so they pop off that much easier, when folding.

Good tips there.
    We have a maxi cosi mura 4 so well used to the inflatable tyres and wouldn't swop them for anything now.
    We have a petit zia for the creche which is the best stroller that we found but it is only good for shops and bringing her to the creche,have a graco quattro tour that was passed down to us and is great in so many ways except I hate the wheels and feels heavy to push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

We have the out and about nipper and it's fab! Only 1 minor problem to be aware of and then you'll be fine.. take a small pump with you (I think you can get one that clips onto the frame) because the tyres do tend to go flat quite alot.

It looks like it won't go through some doorways, but we have always managed. It's so light and easy to steer. The raincover fits really well and the kids have no complaints about getting in. Both seats recline and the pads are sufficient for comfort.

I have tried/owned other buggies and this has been the best.

The tyres shouldn't go flat a lot. Thats not my experience. I'd suggest swapping the tubes, you might have a faulty valve or two there.

http://www.twins-store.co.uk/epages/62046134.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62046134/Products/%22buggy_tyre_puncture_12%201/2x21/4%22
    http://www.twins-store.co.uk/epages/62046134.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62046134/Products/%22ts%20replaement%20inner%20tubes%22

Something like that. I was going to do that, but didn't need to yet. I used the angle valves on the kids balance bike its much easier to pump now. Decent pump helps though...I have one for the bike and its a joy to use. Something like this. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4949

• Advertisement
Advertisement