Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artane Beaumount Family Recreation Centre

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Didn't realise there was a few boardsies from the area. Anyone else familiar with this place?

It's the start of yet another summer, and I can bet that even in my 20's, I'll be asked to leave the basketball court again for no reason....:pac: Since me and my friends were allowed cross Skelly's Lane on our own (way back when), we've been trying to play there without being kicked out :confused: Even 2 years ago when a few of us were playing, a certain sectretary sent a security guy to kick us out...

Anyone have any stories about the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ah I remember going to the teenage discos back in the day. They were trying to outdo the Grove (although, it was Club G by the time I was allowed to go) They didn't last long.

The place is an institution in the area, I reckon half of the families from the estate I grew up in had some sort of family party there at some stage. My older sister had her 18th there back in the early 90s! Ah, good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

discus wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was a few boardsies from the area. Anyone else familiar with this place?

It's the start of yet another summer, and I can bet that even in my 20's, I'll be asked to leave the basketball court again for no reason....:pac: Since me and my friends were allowed cross Skelly's Lane on our own (way back when), we've been trying to play there without being kicked out :confused: Even 2 years ago when a few of us were playing, a certain sectretary sent a security guy to kick us out...

Do you have a membership card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I must be too young to have gone to those discos!
    Do you have a membership card?

Nah, is there any benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My family has a full membership from the time it was built.

They were supposed to build a swimming pool in there too, which obv never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

discus wrote: »

Nah, is there any benefit?

One would imagine that one of the main benefits would be not getting asked to leave.

(Oh and I do remember the discos... it wasn't a patch on the old Grove.)

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    My family has a full membership from the time it was built.

So have we!

Handy for the old game of basketball. Although, it's some time since I've lived over that way now.

One would imagine that one of the main benefits would be not getting asked to leave.

Ach, before we hit 18 we would tell them our parents membership numbers, but we be told (daily) that the neighbours had complained about the noise of the games... This was at like 2pm!

We all went down to get cards a while back, but we were told that we couldn't rent out the hall for basketball games / circuit training because we needed to get our own public liability insurance... Which THEY already have.

Yes, I am here to grind an axe it seems:pac:

Anyone know of any interesting classes that go on there at all? Was thinking about joining the irish conversational classes. Ar fheabhas ar fad :D

(Oh and I do remember the discos... it wasn't a patch on the old Grove.)

When you were a lot younger, did you also go to the old Elbeau discos, in Fiachras, too? Everyone I know from my area growing up had their first kiss and an Elbeau dicso. Elbeau was great.

cosmic wrote: »
    When you were a lot younger, did you also go to the old Elbeau discos, in Fiachras, too? Everyone I know from my area growing up had their first kiss and an Elbeau dicso. Elbeau was great.

Elbeau was deadly. Making loads of knitted things in the prefabs, getting the membership card... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I remember hearing about Elbeau, but I was in SuperCool in Coolock for the Summer Projects.

Of course, I used to go to The Grove, been to a few of the reunions too

<3 Cecil

Should never have went the Club G route.

I had me first snog at the grove, some tall young one, with long brown hair, never got her name. :(

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    <3 Cecil

What a legend! He makes a cameo appearance in Marian Quinn's film 32A - Brilliant!

Advertisement