Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USELESS estate agency

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi guys, have any of you had a similar experience to me? I bought my house last year and am still discovering that some things the estate agency told me were complete fibs.

They sent out a person to show me around who had never been in the property before and when I went for a 2nd viewing the girl on that occasion seemed to make it up as she went along, she knew answers to none of my questions.

They led me astray on so many occasions and told me conflicting stories. I had to contact them 10 times to get one straight answer and then they 'lost' a load of keys to my house. But for the fact that I really wanted my house and I got outside advice I would have told them to stuff it. If I ever sell my place I'll NEVER go with them, they really showed themselves to be unprofessional. Anyone with a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Why did you buy the house? Everyone knows to get a survey done before purchasing. What happened to your solicitor did they not ask these questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Why did you buy the house? Everyone knows to get a survey done before purchasing. What happened to your solicitor did they not ask these questions?

I bought because everything in the house is perfect, got my survey done of course but there was one question where we were told one thing (and had no reason to doubt it) and it has recently turned out to be another. Actually turns out to be of benefit to me but the point is that they didn't know what they were on about.

It's a pretty big estate agency who seemed not to bother finding out anything about the houses they were selling and any info had to be dragged from them. As I say, I bought because I fully checked the place out. I'm still astonished though at how amateurish they are for such a big estate agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

sexdwarf wrote: »
    I bought because everything in the house is perfect, got my survey done of course but there was one question where we were told one thing (and had no reason to doubt it) and it has recently turned out to be another. Actually turns out to be of benefit to me but the point is that they didn't know what they were on about.

It's a pretty big estate agency who seemed not to bother finding out anything about the houses they were selling and any info had to be dragged from them. As I say, I bought because I fully checked the place out. I'm still astonished though at how amateurish they are for such a big estate agency.

^^^^^
    This is just a lot of vague words.
    Can you actually substantiate/detail what they did or did not do?

Don't mean to be mean just interested in the exact problem

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I've recently spent a lot of time with estate agents and on property websites and to be honest the standard of a lot of them is appaling. From a sellers viewpoint I went with an agent that I found professional but above all else marketed properties properly i.e. good descriptions, photos, directions and very accomodating on viewings. They were also very pragmatic on pricing because they wanted sales. I appreciate all of those things in todays market. As a prospective buyer though I'm appaled, listings on daft and myhome with no photos or only one or two low grade images, pathetic descriptions, the old 'i'm doing you a favour by showing you this house' and non returning of phone calls. Really frustrating that any of these jokers are even employed by the vendors to sell their house. I'm sure that people like this are costing vast sums of money in the industry down to shere imcompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Ddad wrote: »
    I've recently spent a lot of time with estate agents and on property websites and to be honest the standard of a lot of them is appaling. From a sellers viewpoint I went with an agent that I found professional but above all else marketed properties properly i.e. good descriptions, photos, directions and very accomodating on viewings. They were also very pragmatic on pricing because they wanted sales. I appreciate all of those things in todays market. As a prospective buyer though I'm appaled, listings on daft and myhome with no photos or only one or two low grade images, pathetic descriptions, the old 'i'm doing you a favour by showing you this house' and non returning of phone calls. Really frustrating that any of these jokers are even employed by the vendors to sell their house. I'm sure that people like this are costing vast sums of money in the industry down to shere imcompetence.

See here: We were one mind at the same moment :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Look at this one. Would you even look at the house, going by the photos? Can't believe the vendor is letting them get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Look at this one. Would you even look at the house, going by the photos? Can't believe the vendor is letting them get away with that.

:eek:

One auctioneer struck off the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Chalk it soupy, chalk it. I'm renting for a year as I'm so sick of looking due to unrealistic vendors and ignoramus auctioneers. I'll find the house for life though at the right price of that I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Can I put up a link as to how it should be done IMO (now this is not a plug as it is my house) but I find the estate agent top class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

While you're waiting for an answer, what I wanted when I was looking for a house (EAs please note!)

1. How big is the house? The square metres of the house, not just room-by-room measurements. (I think metric; if other people think imperial, why not put both measurements on the ad?)

2. The layout of the house - it's great to see floor plans!

3. Accurate mapping - sometimes the google maps marker is way off.

4. The truth about where it is. Don't tell me Clontarf, and when I get there, it's really in Fairview or Marino.

5. If the house is derelict, tell me that - don't say 'needs work'. (I viewed one where the lean-to kitchen had collapsed.......that's a re-building job, not needs work)

6. When you say you'll meet me at a certain time, I can forgive 10 minutes late due to traffic - I can't forgive 45 minutes waiting and no show. You have my mobile, ring me!

7. Not really EA, but I want to know the actual selling price of houses.

8. And I'd like fake bids to be outlawed. Any serious offer should be lodged with a solicitor who will verify it as an officer of the court. Not an EA whose ethics are as elastic eh elastic.

Anyone else got any EA wishes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I've actually viewed this house. I'm not joking here - they honestly are the best that could be shown of that house.

If you doubt me, arrange a viewing, or PM me for more details.

Ddad wrote: »
    Chalk it soupy, chalk it. I'm renting for a year as I'm so sick of looking due to unrealistic vendors and ignoramus auctioneers. I'll find the house for life though at the right price of that I'm sure.

Let the market do the hard work, all you/I have to do is wait.

www.daft.ie/1520587

Can you tell me if this looks ok to a buyer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Carpenter wrote: »
    www.daft.ie/1520587

because it says price on application i ignore it and move on as to not waste time.

One thing people like to know, you know, when they go to buy something, is....wait for it..

you won't believe this

i fell silly....

is...

THE PRICE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

also does the pony come with the house?

if not, wtf is there a pic of it.

any gold fish?

www.daft.ie/1520587

Notwithstanding price, it's a nice house.

It will go to auction and its a horse :p all I am looking for is a bit of feed back

It will go to auction and its a horse :p all I am looking for is a bit of feed back

whats the guide price for Auction

Blackjack wrote: »
    whats the guide price for Auction

150k Hope to get more as I have put 70k+ into the house

150k Hope to get more as I have put 70k+ into the house

Could be difficult, but it depends on the local demand etc.

• Advertisement

Could be difficult, but it depends on the local demand etc.

With 10 acres I hope not :)

Didn't catch that bit.
    Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No pics of the bedrooms, it says in the ad there are three, it would be nice to see what the size of the master bedroom is. I think the kitchen photo could be taken from a better angle, it would give a better idea of the space there. And the photo of the horse is unnecessary because the horse isn't for sale and the photo still doesn't give an idea of the space. The photo of the living area is a good one. If only auctioneers could take photos of that type it might make viewing ads on daft a lot less painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

www.daft.ie/1520587

No it isn't.
    No price
    No sizes of any type, no overall size, no room size
    No layout plan
    Pictures not great
    And what is "cul de sac land"?
    Considering ad is only 4 lines long to have one line saying "This property is ideal for horses or livesstock and for anybody who wants a flavour of the farming environment." Just sounds so stupid.
    I wouldn't even consider a property advertised like that.

PS just noticed you say house is going for auction. WTF doesn't the ad say so.
    I would class your estate agent as useless if this ad was their idea

I can't believe the vendor is letting them get away with this.

www.daft.ie/1475810
    Manhattan, Canary Wharf & Hong Kong pale in comparison to this magnificent one off property located in Carrick-on-Shannon's most sought after waterside developments

Manhatten v Carrick on Shannon. Hmmmm, tough decision. I see they failed to mention that not only was the development waterside but was in the Shannon 6 months ago.

I can't believe the vendor is letting them get away with this.

www.daft.ie/1475810

Manhatten v Carrick on Shannon. Hmmmm, tough decision. I see they failed to mention that not only was the development waterside but was in the Shannon 6 months ago.

GOOD CHRIST!. 475K in Carrick on Shannon?.

What Drugs are these guys on?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

GOOD CHRIST!. 475K in Carrick on Shannon?.

What Drugs are these guys on?.

Drugs? That would be a nice word.....

Perhaps mental?

Ah... I see... "Tax Relief available"... I get it :rolleyes:

I thought the people in DNG Farrell had a bit more cop on. Clearly not. Ah, that's hilarious when I think about it.

Fair enough.... it's a very nice apartment but the price is befitting "Manhattan, Canary Wharf & Hong Kong" and not Carrick on Shannon for sure.

P.S. Just to clarify..... That's Carrick on Shannon in Co. Roscommon. I can now offically disown it :D

stepbar wrote: »
    Drugs? That would be a nice word.....

Perhaps mental?

Ah... I see... "Tax Relief available"... I get it :rolleyes:

I thought the people in DNG Farrell had a bit more cop on. Clearly not. Ah, that's hilarious when I think about it.

Fair enough.... it's a very nice apartment but the price is befitting "Manhattan, Canary Wharf & Hong Kong" and not Carrick on Shannon for sure.

P.S. Just to clarify..... That's Carrick on Shannon in Co. Roscommon. I can now offically disown it :D

now, now...... :p

ZYX wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    No price
    No sizes of any type, no overall size, no room size
    No layout plan
    Pictures not great
    And what is "cul de sac land"?
    Considering ad is only 4 lines long to have one line saying "This property is ideal for horses or livesstock and for anybody who wants a flavour of the farming environment." Just sounds so stupid.
    I wouldn't even consider a property advertised like that.

PS just noticed you say house is going for auction. WTF doesn't the ad say so.
    I would class your estate agent as useless if this ad was their idea

Would you ok Thanks

• Advertisement

No pics of the bedrooms, it says in the ad there are three, it would be nice to see what the size of the master bedroom is. I think the kitchen photo could be taken from a better angle, it would give a better idea of the space there. And the photo of the horse is unnecessary because the horse isn't for sale and the photo still doesn't give an idea of the space. The photo of the living area is a good one. If only auctioneers could take photos of that type it might make viewing ads on daft a lot less painful.

Hi
    Thank you for giving me your view but to be fair to him it is hard to show space when it is 10 acres
    And the horse thing I think was more about the background I must ask him

Advertisement