Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training help

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping I might be able to get some help. Having some trouble with toilet training our pup (5 months old). He was trained on puppy pads and we eventually start bringing them out. That's all fine when we're there, he straches at the door to get outside. However, when we not there he pees inside - initially at the spot where the pad used to be, but now he's doing it near the leg of the table (next to the afoementioned spot).

We're both back at work now so he's on his own during the day. At night he doesn't go until we get up in the mornings but he doesn't stay in same room as during day so it's not like he cant hold it. I assume he thinks it's alright to go in this spot. Anyone know how we can break this habit??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

How long is he expected to hold it during the day? If by all day you mean 8+ hours then that is madness.

Holding it during the night is different as he's asleep. I presume he gets fed in the morning and has access to water at all times during the day which means he won't be able to hold it while you're not there. At 5 months he is still a baby too but I still wouldn't expect a fully grown dog to hold it's bladder all day.

You really need to give him access to outdoors (dog-flap) so he can do what you have trained him to do or else get a neighbour or dog-walker to come in to let him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

must agree. my guy is toilet trained, but if i left him inside during working hours, i'd be expecting a surprise when i get home. sure i'd probably take a piss in the corner if i was left in a room that long and i assure you i'm fully trained!!

can you not put him outside during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Getting someone to let him out might be best way to break the cycle. 8+ hrs indoors is way too long for a pup that age (or many adult dogs, to be honest) If you're only gone for short periods, you can try training him to a crate and have him sleep in it at night as well, but obviously it's not suitable to leave him in this all day without any exercise. If you do use a crate (small cage) it should be big enough for him to comfortably get up, turn around, and lie down fully in.Again, I do not advocate leaving a dog in a crate all day, but it can be a great training tool, and also means he's safe from eating wires, etc, while you're away or asleep.

Advertisement