Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose Broadband.

• 16-04-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I need bit of advise, i am moving to new apt in city center ( on quays) end of this month and i am looking option for broadband.
    I don't need phone line, no tv , Just broadband.
    i had it narrow it down to UPC 15 mb but after seeing too many trouble with speed i am confused.

what i need:

Atleast 5mb Reliable speed
    wireless router
    40gb to 50 gb download limit

other option was Smart or magnet but you need to have landline for that i think.
    Any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

deep1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I need bit of advise, i am moving to new apt in city center ( on quays) end of this month and i am looking option for broadband.
    I don't need phone line, no tv , Just broadband.
    i had it narrow it down to UPC 15 mb but after seeing too many trouble with speed i am confused.

what i need:

Atleast 5mb Reliable speed
    wireless router
    40gb to 50 gb download limit

other option was Smart or magnet but you need to have landline for that i think.
    Any help is appreciated.
    thanks

Magnet could arragne a landline for you. This could be installed at no extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Thanks for reply, How much 5mb will cost me per month? and i persume that comes with wireless router and is there any contention ration on 5mb?
    Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

deep1 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, How much 5mb will cost me per month? and i persume that comes with wireless router and is there any contention ration on 5mb?
    Thanks

49.99 total.
    comes with wireless router
    unlimited
    contention 1:1
    PM me and I can call you

Thanks again , i am just looking for few more option at the moment, Upc charge €32 for 15 mb but i understand speed can be problem sometime.
    will let you know once i make my mind.
    TA.

Is anyone using Imagine WiMax? please share your experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wimax thread. In general, not great.

UPC do have contention, so if you chose them, make sure to pick a speed well in excess of what you'd like as a minimum. I'd choose the 30Mbps, and forget 15Mbps.

Magnet is not contended, so you should get what you pay for. Don't rule out a phone line as an option, as it will rule out most of your options. A lot of wireless options are not really broadband, and the only decent ones will be the fixed wireless (requiring an external aerial). Metro is probably one of the most reliable of these. Imagine Breeze may be worth considering too.

Advertisement