Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

I bought an Asus laptop (F5SL) 18 months ago from Laptops Direct, it worked fine for a bit before the disc drive stopped working after a few months.
    I made do, using an external disc drive when needed. However, during the summer, the laptop kept freezing in an odd manner, which no amount of reinstallation, system repair or antivirus could fix. Not long after, the keyboard started coming to pieces with a few keys falling out.

The warranty was for 2 years so I got onto Asus in Belgium about a possible repair. The initial service was great, with TNT coming around to collect the notebook. I then heard nothing for a month, until yesterday when I recieved an email from their Dutch office.
    Essentially, I was told that they didn't have a replacement model, nor did they have the part needed to make the repair. They said they wouldn't be getting the repair-part in for a very long time (and are unable to give me any information about how long the part will take to come in) and asked me would I accept credit; which amounts to 60% of what I originally paid for the laptop. (There is a sliding scale for how much they will pay depending on age, regardless of whether it is under warranty or not)

Is this fair customer service even though the item is still under warranty, or am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you are entitled to a refund of the full purchase amount but should be going through laptops direct for it rather than the manufacturer.
    ive heard bad things about laptops direct in terms of customer service so you may be in for a fight.
    first thing would be to contact the retailer, explain the situation and see if they will provide a replacement (as a repair is out of the question as confirmed by the manufacturer) if they dont have a replacement model then they should agree to a refund.

if they dont then you will need to contact the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I had this "crap" with Komplett re a graphics card that failed inside a 3 year guarantee period. They refused to give me full credit, stating "market value", but some weeks afterwards, completely out of the blue, the full amount was credited to my Visa account. I didn't ask them why in case they decided that they'd made a mistake.

It seemed to be the consensus that they are within their rights to use "market value" instead of the full amount.

I'll search for the posts and put a link up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I bought an Asus laptop (F5SL) 18 months ago from Laptops Direct, it worked fine for a bit before the disc drive stopped working after a few months.
    I made do, using an external disc drive when needed. However, during the summer, the laptop kept freezing in an odd manner, which no amount of reinstallation, system repair or antivirus could fix. Not long after, the keyboard started coming to pieces with a few keys falling out.

The warranty was for 2 years so I got onto Asus in Belgium about a possible repair. The initial service was great, with TNT coming around to collect the notebook. I then heard nothing for a month, until yesterday when I recieved an email from their Dutch office.
    Essentially, I was told that they didn't have a replacement model, nor did they have the part needed to make the repair. They said they wouldn't be getting the repair-part in for a very long time (and are unable to give me any information about how long the part will take to come in) and asked me would I accept credit; which amounts to 60% of what I originally paid for the laptop. (There is a sliding scale for how much they will pay depending on age, regardless of whether it is under warranty or not)

Is this fair customer service even though the item is still under warranty, or am I being unreasonable?

Ask for the replacement model instead.
    Would cost them the same anyway and they won't have to pay out in cash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Got this from Laptops Direct;
    Im afraid there is nothing we can do here, if thats what Asus have said then im afraid unless they authorise a replacement there isnt much we can do at our end.

Still havn't heard anything back from Asus, after I asked them did I have any options apart from 60% (which seems unreasonable to me)
    Laptops Direct are currently out of that model so doesn't look like I can get a replacement.

Not sure how it works given that I am going through the Dutch brance despite buying over the internet in Ireland (under Asus UK help)

Any other help that can be given? I'd be happy out with a replacement or repair rather than the cash.

get the response from ASUS confirming that it is faulty in writing
    get the reponse from Laptops Direct that they wont do anything about it in writing

submit both to SCC and you will get your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks for the help folks. Asus got back to me today offering me a replacement model (better than what I originally bought)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Another thing to keep in mind is that while 60% of what you paid for the laptop may be unfair, what would you be able to buy for that 60% value now?

Yuo may have found you could get a better speced laptop for that sort of money. Just a thought

maglite wrote: »
    Another thing to keep in mind is that while 60% of what you paid for the laptop may be unfair, what would you be able to buy for that 60% value now?

Yuo may have found you could get a better speced laptop for that sort of money. Just a thought
    yes, but thats why the company have the option of a replacement.
    if they issue a refund it must be for the full amount paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

subway wrote: »
    yes, but thats why the company have the option of a replacement.
    if they issue a refund it must be for the full amount paid

Yes but that applies to the retailer not manufacturer... The manufacturers offer was just a good will gesture

maglite wrote: »
    Yes but that applies to the retailer not manufacturer... The manufacturers offer was just a good will gesture
    ceratinly, but the laptop was in warranty so anything provided was not jut a good will gesture but a fulfilment of the warranty.
    if the warranty states "market value" then the OP would still have had the opportunity to claim a full refund from the retailer and would have been successful based on the response from the manufacturer support team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thanks for the help folks. Asus got back to me today offering me a replacement model (better than what I originally bought)

Leuven eh ... your not that far from me, what you doing for Koninginnedag ;) ?

Knew they'd give you a replacement, its a cheaper option for them rather than processing a refund.

Advertisement