Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway

• 16-04-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Anyone here cylce in Galway?Any good routes to follow with little traffic?

Ive cycled a few times the loop out to Spideal from knocknacarra,but wonder where else was good for a spin.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

When you say Spiddal loop is that heading to Moycullen then left up the hill.
    Think Galwaybay CC list local routes on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

I'm not a fan of roads from galway to moycullen and spiddal, but the one to moycullen has some side road for a while so is better. The road between spiddal and moycullen is really nice - little traffic.

Also barna road has little traffic, but is short one, so you would have to make some route that repeats.

I cycle this middle of the week: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/galway/905127135834511741
    little traffic. After km 17 I turn left and repeat that circle sometimes couple of times, but it gets boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

kinetic wrote: »
    Anyone here cylce in Galway?Any good routes to follow with little traffic?

Ive cycled a few times the loop out to Spideal from knocknacarra,but wonder where else was good for a spin.

Thanks.

If you have a bit of time try this 90 km loop

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/galway/756127142276811426

Out to Oughterard - Across some hills and bog back to the coast road near Costello and back in past Spideal. The Middle section From Oughterard to Costello is very quite traffic wise, also scenic. NB there's a sign in Oughterard which says Costello 15 km, The first time I did it after an hour I'm still in the middle of nowhere starting to wonder about my (lack of )form, arrive in costello eventially, there's a sign pointing back the other way Oughterard 25 km!

My main problem with Galway is that all the roads out are either traffic choked or poor surface (or both!). The traffic issue isn't so bad on the way out, but I hate comming home tired with SUVs zooming past me.

I've only been out it once since the new road opened, but the old Dublin road while not very scenic could be good. Low trafic (I assume), hard sholder, reasonable surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Yeah, that one L'Enfer du Nord said.
    But also the shorter - Galway->Moycullen->Spiddal->Galway

There's only a couple short stretches where the road narrows, just make sure you take the lane at those parts to prevent dangerous overtaking.

I used to cycle some of those roads you've highlighted, but after 2 close calls with residents putting the front end of the cars way out into the lane before joining the road; i decided it was too dangerous.

Also, they are prime for black ice (in the winter), the roads dip a lot and the hedges keep them in the shade too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Thanks for those ideas,
    I drove to Peacocks In Maam cross last night then cycled over to Lenane and back but found it tuff enough...very hilly,,,,,also forgot how far out maaam cross is.

Lovley cycle though only met about 6 cars each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thanks for those ideas,
    I drove to Peacocks In Maam cross last night then cycled over to Lenane and back but found it tuff enough...very hilly,,,,,also forgot how far out maaam cross is.

Lovley cycle though only met about 6 cars each way.

You did pick a rolling roads route alright:D If you ever tempted to complete the loop around to Kylemore and Recess Beware of the Inagh Valley. Its Irelands Longest Wind Tunnel:eek: no matter what way the wind may be blowing on any other part of the route you get a headwind

Are you doing the Exit 16 Killtullagh spin on May 2nd it was postponed in Jan

Thanks Esroh.

i had a head wind the whole way into Lenane and i seemed to have it into me the whole way back as well!! Couldnt beleive it.

First i heard of the exit spin.
    Getting revved up for the croi 75KM one at the end of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭jautukas87

Aware cycle next saturday link.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

http://www.exit16kiltullaghcycle.com/

50k or 100k, should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

75 miles to be correct!

Mr Velo wrote: »
    75 miles to be correct!

Ive just spotted that,it makes it a bit different now.

Advertisement