Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog licking its anus?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hello all,hope someone can advise me here.My dog (9 year old springer) is constantly licking his ass/anus.So much so that the base of her tail where it joins her body has been licked clean of hair! Then again maybe she never had hair there..She was dosed for worms 2 months ago and doesnt have worms in her poop.I have been reading up on the problem and it seems to point to anal gland issue,that they may need emptying.She was constipated a few weeks ago but is fine now.Any help appreciated.Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

See your vet.

Sounds like anal glands to me and the dog is obviously in some discomfort so take her to see the vet. Trust me, if it is her anal glands you do not want to be dealing with a ruptured one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just take her to a Vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

as others have said see the vet it looks like the glands need draining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Really sound like anal glands to me. She will need to see a vet because she would have given herself dermatitis or another skin infection by licking at the same area constantly.

Try increasing her fibre intake - it will help with her glands and also the constipation (keep her regular!). As she gets older she will need a higher fibre diet because her digestive system will slow down and need a bit of extra help. Her glands will also be more likely to fill up as she gets older so please keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry for finding this amusing but how many ways can people say "Bring it to a Vet"? :D:D

Posting for the sake of posting??:D :P :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Get the vet to show you how to drain them, and do it yourself in future. Will save you time and money.

It ain't a nice job, but if you know how to do it then it is pretty easy & quick

Advertisement