Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 14th Floor Glass Door

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

if you're in a high rise building in or around barrow street/ringsend/pearse street look out and see if you see the single standing glass building, with a door panel open around the middle on one side. (side facing pearse street).. passersby have also noticed it open.

there clearly is no outside stairs for an emergency exit.. and one of my collegues here at work is dying to know what it is or why is it open? lol :D

so if anyone can shed some light on this , post here thanks. :cool:

[i'll try post a picture]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ackros wrote: »
    if you're in a high rise building in or around barrow street/ringsend/pearse street look out and see if you see the single standing glass building, with a door panel open around the middle on one side. (side facing pearse street).. passersby have also noticed it open.

there clearly is no outside stairs for an emergency exit.. and one of my collegues here at work is dying to know what it is or why is it open? lol :D

so if anyone can shed some light on this , post here thanks. :cool:

[i'll try post a picture]

I think i can see the building but I'm too far away to make out doors.

Funny thing: i used to work in a building on burlington road that faced onto another building, the other building had a double door on the ground floor that served as a fire exit. the funny thing was that it had a similar door two floors above it set into the side of the building :eek:. The only thing that i could think of was that it was once used as a loading bay but I couldn't see any marks in the wall that would have suggested a winch was once there.

I always wondered if the fire alarm in there went off, would we see people fleeing through this exit and dropping like lemmings to their doom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My old school had a door just like this, on the third floor leading to nothing....

I always assumed they'd run out of windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Is that the new coffee shop thing opposite bolands mills?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ackros

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

DCU has one of these on a 3rd floor walkway between buildings. It's for loading awkward equipment that the stairs or lifts won't accommodate.
    No idea why that building (Incidentally, I think you marked the wrong building, I think it's Alto Vetro you're talking about) has one, but if I had to guess, i'd say it's how they get the heating equipment, lifts, etc in; one half of that building has ladders running up the outside of the lift core (visible from the street) and has various pipes, etc there too.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement