Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run - call your time

• 16-04-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Last race was MSB 5k, 25.12

hoping for 52/53 on Sunday, but I'll be happy with anything under 55.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anything inside my previous 10k PB (53.55) and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

51.29, anything after that is a bonus.

Based on last years experience I should probably forget about getting the smooth trip around that I wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

sub-60 and I'll be happy.
    I may have to throw myself across the finish line baseball style to get it....
    I'm sure I'm capable of it, if the hills and the crowds don't add too many minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

37.30 or slower. Marathon the following weekend so any faster than that and I deserve a slap on the bum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

anybody have a link to the 2009 results?

note the updated start times

1.10 - Elite women and AAI club ladies

1.30 - The rest

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/News_article.aspx?nid=6675

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Less than 1:06:43 will be a PB. Hoping for 1:01:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Last race was Dunboyne 4 Mile which was 27:22. Hoping for around 45 which would be PB in me second life as a runner

emerald007 wrote: »

1.30 - The rest

There will be 3 starts. 1. Elite women and AAI club ladies. 2. Elite men and AAI club men. 3. The Great Unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

This was my first race ever last year and had time of 68 mins. Hoping for anything between 55 and 58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

There will be 3 starts. 1. Elite women and AAI club ladies. 2. Elite men and AAI club men. 3. The Great Unwashed.

Is it not 2 starts? Ladies off at 1.10. Then the elites/clubrunners/rest all off at 1.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

emerald007 wrote: »

1.30 - The rest

http://www.greatrun.org/Results/Default.aspx

Select the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Great Run 2009 Results

http://www.greatrun.org/Results/Default.aspx

AAI 10km 2009 Results

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/results-2009-10-k-road.pdf

I'm hoping sub 33mins and a top 50 finish on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Would be happy to break 45 minutes.

Would be delighted to break 44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Completing with stopping running is the first objective.

My 'training' runs have averaged 5:30 per km, so completion within the hour will be OK by me.

With 9,999 other punters, the 'traffic' is my biggest 'known unknown' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Circa 45 mins also, although I reckon congestion could put a dent on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've managed to be sub 40 for a few years but getting slower (39:54 last year, 39:37 in 2008). Would be happy to be sub 40 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd be happy to break 45, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

First competitave 10k for me. But judging by the times of my training runs, I'd be happy with anything under 50 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

was aimin for 37 mins but my chest is a bit dodgy so will see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ideally in the 34.xx however minor niggle this week anything under my PB (36.15) would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

would be happy with under 40:30 , expect it will be around 41 mins !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Aiming for 33:40 but who knows, that park is a tough 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seres wrote: »
    would be happy with under 40:30 , expect it will be around 41 mins !
    I'll be expecting 39:xx from you, and will accept nothing less! Sure aren't you starting with the Elite women? Just hang on to 'em!

daymobrew wrote: »
    I've managed to be sub 40 for a few years but getting slower (39:54 last year, 39:37 in 2008). Would be happy to be sub 40 again.
    38:41 in 2009, if my memory serves me correctly (when I followed you over the finish line). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

My first competitive 10k, under 40 mins would be great :)

Is it not 2 starts? Ladies off at 1.10. Then the elites/clubrunners/rest all off at 1.30.

Mae culpa.

I'll be expecting 39:xx from you, and will accept nothing less! Sure aren't you starting with the Elite women? Just hang on to 'em!
    oh stop , that time is always at the back of my mind every 10k i enter , i think i have a mental block now with it though , why did you have to bring it up , not fair , you sub 40minuter !!!

oh stop , that time is always at the back of my mind every 10k i enter , i think i have a mental block now with it though , why did you have to bring it up , not fair , you sub 40minuter !!!
    Well, you will be starting with just the right people to get you under (no long lonely stretches here). Might be an idea to talk to the other girls and see if there is someone aiming for around the 38-39min mark, to pace off. It's a hilly course though (not as good as Roscommon). Will you be defending your title by the way? :)

Well, you will be starting with just the right people to get you under (no long lonely stretches here). Might be an idea to talk to the other girls and see if there is someone aiming for around the 38-39min mark, to pace off. It's a hilly course though (not as good as Roscommon). Will you be defending your title by the way? :)
    might be an idea alright pacing off someone , however ive heard the second part of the course is more challenging so want to make sure i have enough in the tank to tackle the hills comfortably , dont think i will do roscommon this year , doing galway series and have one of the 5k races the following day , you doing it? , prizes are alright , got a meal voucher which has expired and a bottle of vodka that i gave to my mum for coming , Alcohol , great price for an athlete training hard !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I was hoping for under 55 min, but have been injured for last week so under 60 mins and i will be happy. but depending on how i feel i will push it towards the end and hope for the best

might be an idea alright pacing off someone , however ive heard the second part of the course is more challenging so want to make sure i have enough in the tank to tackle the hills comfortably , dont think i will do roscommon this year , doing galway series and have one of the 5k races the following day , you doing it? , prizes are alright , got a meal voucher which has expired and a bottle of vodka that i gave to my mum for coming , Alcohol , great price for an athlete training hard !!!
    I don't think the body is ready for any fast running just yet, and I think I'm running Limerick marathon that weekend (is it the BH weekend?). Pity, as I reckon I'd be close enough to a podium spot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

First 10k race, hoping to get in under 52 minutes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dunno somewhere between 44 and 50 minutes I expect. We'll see if I bother racing or if I bother turning up at all.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

38:41 in 2009, if my memory serves me correctly (when I followed you over the finish line). :)
    Followed? Drafted more like :p
    The Crookstown 10k had a greatly wind assisted first 5k (a PB in fact!) and no real hills. I also got a fast first 1k (3:37) - something that won't happen on Sunday.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Followed? Drafted more like :p
    The Crookstown 10k had a greatly wind assisted first 5k (a PB in fact!) and no real hills. I also got a fast first 1k (3:37) - something that won't happen on Sunday.
    Drafting in cycling is called cheating.
    Drafting in running is called innovation.
    :)

I think whatever wind assistance you got in the first 5k was soon taken off of you in the second 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Under the hour hopefully. Would love 58 something!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

In my 1st race in Jan, (Raheny 5mile) did under 39, then ran the MSB St Patricks 5k in under 23

From those times I can see a 'per kilometre' improvement, but I'm worried about the hills on Sunday, and I have never run 10k ever.

I am hoping to run under 50, under 48 would be a real bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Never run a 10k before, haven't trained as much as I should have, so finishing will be the first objective. Sub-65 is what I expect, sub-60 would be a huge bonus (training runs around that pace).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great Run 2009: 00:41:59. Which was my 3rd race.

Would like to get in sub 40 this year. From McMillan it throws out from 38:30 to 41:30 for 10km based on recent best times for other distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

went around in 49m last year with feck all training (don't know how I managed that time looking back!)

bit more training this year so I'll be defo pushing for sub 50 again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

36:02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ergo

my 10k PB 39:20 (great Ireland 2005)

slowest was in 2008 ; 46:00 approx

am somewhere in between the two at the moment - when I was at my peak marathon training last year managed some sub 40 min 10Ks but for tomorrow would estimate maybe 43 minutes plus or minus as not much training done but I haven't a clue really

so 43:00 plus or minus 3 minutes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

How big a factor is the 'traffic'?

Ran 52/53 training but that was around my local town on a quiet weekday night where I had only the odd intoxicate person to navigate around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 holly2

yeah worried about traffic too. Did the race in 2007, back then there was a separate pen at the start for the non elite club runners, so you could get a clean start. anyone know is that still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

The aim is to not run 16 mins for the first 5K and end up in bits on the s-bends like last year.

Dream time is sub 34. Realistically a high 34.

Cant wait...Good luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

36:30 would leave me very happy. Never raced in the park before, lookin' forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Ended up with 34:51. Very disappointed the legs cramped up and the race was over. The 7-8K was nearly 4 minutes ):

Felt I could have gone a minute faster than that. More tempo sessions needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

53.45 for me, happy enough with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Missed my sub60 goal by 10 seconds :eek: finishing at 60:09.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

In my 1st race in Jan, (Raheny 5mile) did under 39, then ran the MSB St Patricks 5k in under 23

From those times I can see a 'per kilometre' improvement, but I'm worried about the hills on Sunday, and I have never run 10k ever.

I am hoping to run under 50, under 48 would be a real bonus!

47.31, so am extremely pleased. But I was cruising at 5k on a time of 23.30, butfrom there to 8k killed me.
    a great day, and brilliant organisation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement