Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run - call your time

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

51.29, anything after that is a bonus.

Based on last years experience I should probably forget about getting the smooth trip around that I wish for.

Were there any prizes for guessing correctly?
    My chip time is 51.29 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

gmurran wrote: »
    Ended up with 34:51. Very disappointed the legs cramped up and the race was over. The 7-8K was nearly 4 minutes ):

Felt I could have gone a minute faster than that. More tempo sessions needed.

What are tempo sessions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

TarfHead wrote: »
    Completing with stopping running is the first objective.

My 'training' runs have averaged 5:30 per km, so completion within the hour will be OK by me.

With 9,999 other punters, the 'traffic' is my biggest 'known unknown' ;)

A late charge got me over the line in 59:27. All the sidestepping I had to do around walkers and other runners added to all of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

What are tempo sessions?

Tempos are runs done just below race pace. Start of with 20 mins and build up from there. The idea being to build up your stamina and speed before your legs start to feel the pain.

There is a good article on runners world

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11909-0,00.html.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Came through at 45mins....was well pleased considering I've only started back running in the last 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Finished in 36:10, so happy out considering the back end of the course being so tough. Really struggled up the second set of hills - my 8th & 9th K splits were way off pace - 3:45 / 3:50. All in all, not the greatest run ever but happy with the progress and i've a shiny new target for my next 10K.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

was hoping for sub 50 after doing 49 last year - managed 47.17 so really happy with that

this event is getting ridiculously big - found the traffic around the course to be worse than previous years.

the last 3k were a killer. with the added heat it felt a lot tougher than last year.

great day out though - roll on the marathon training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Macanri wrote: »
    Great Run 2009: 00:41:59. Which was my 3rd race.

Would like to get in sub 40 this year. From McMillan it throws out from 38:30 to 41:30 for 10km based on recent best times for other distances.

2010: 39:08 by my watch. Well happy with that! 39:10 Chip Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

49:21 for me which was in and around what I expected, although it was my first ever competitive run so hopefully I can shave a few minutes off that next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Fantastic run today. Really went well. My target was to break 50 minutes which I did with a time of 49.12 . What's even better is that there's room for improvement over this distance. Probably went out too fast considering all the hills in the second half.

Mile 1 7:37 Climbed 13ft
    Mile 2 7:45 Climbed -23ft
    Mile 3 7:29 Climbed -101ft
    Mile 4 8:14 Climbed 39ft
    Mile 5 9:09 Climbed 54ft
    Mile 6 8:03 Climbed 11ft
    Mile 7 7:41 Climbed 0ft

Times and elevations from runkeeper on the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

plodder wrote: »
    I'd be happy to break 45, as well.
    Ended up doing 43:31 and am over the moon. Two min faster than the last time I did this, and a pb. :) Got a good start, and avoided the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

1:01:27. My target was 60 mins - just outside it so I'm not unhappy. Was my first 10k and only started running 3 months ago so I'm good with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

62:38 which was in between my predicted times of 60 & 65. Will try harder next time, just wanted to make sure I finished this one, being my first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

55:00 here. Had to sprint at the very end to avoid going over the 55minute mark.
    Pleased with my time. Slower in the second half, as I reached the 5k @ 26mins..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Great run. 52 mins. Have to say thought it was very well organised especially considering the amount of people running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

First competitave 10k for me. But judging by the times of my training runs, I'd be happy with anything under 50 mins.

Ended up finishing in 50:53. Disgusted tbh. Everyone was reduced to walking pace coming up to the roundabout where you turn off the main road just after the start. It was very narrow. There were also a LOT of walkers and very slow runners up towards the front. Took a while to dodge in and out of them.

On the plus side. I recorded it on my NTL box. Had a look at it this afternoon and there's a shot towards the end where the camera is focussed on me for a good 5 seconds... So at least I got my face on the telly! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

53.03 - fcuking delighted considering I'm only back running 3 weeks \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Would be happy to break 45 minutes.

Would be delighted to break 44

43:44 delighted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

There were also a LOT of walkers and very slow runners up towards the front. Took a while to dodge in and out of them.

Aye, I started in the 45-55 zone, and was overtaking walkers for a good bit. Why do walkers insist on starting up towards the front??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why do walkers insist on starting up towards the front??

I think it's a combination of not having any real idea of how long it's going to take, joining in at the nearest point to where they arrive instead of trying to figure out where they should be, and not really understanding how much they annoy everyone who has to dodge around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    I think it's a combination of not having any real idea of how long it's going to take, joining in at the nearest point to where they arrive instead of trying to figure out where they should be, and not really understanding how much they annoy everyone who has to dodge around them.

A bit of a joke too how so many 50+ people started in the 35-45 pen.
    Just delusional or ignorance?
    I started at the back of 45-55 pen and was passing people at the finish who said they had been out there as much as 5 mins longer than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

44:43 over the moon. last year 49:01. Good to meet a couple of the boardsies afterwards in the bagge area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

chez-moi wrote: »
    44:43 over the moon. last year 49:01. Good to meet a couple of the boardsies afterwards in the bagge area

That's an amazing improvement in the space of a year!! Must have put a lot of hard work in to trim off that time..

I done 49:21 - first time I've raced since I was a teenager (20 odd years!).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Wanted to break 40 mins, came in at 40.02!!! Always next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

gmurran wrote: »
    The aim is to not run 16 mins for the first 5K and end up in bits on the s-bends like last year.
    You just wrote my race report! Really disappointed - ended up with 34:15 or thereabouts (no watch) and in total reverse for the 2nd half. I think I need to start out a race slow for a change. Curious, if not optimistic about how we did in the M35 team.

What a run by Gary though to push Fagan all the way - superb stuff altogether. He's in the form of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

37 mins 2 seconds. Not bad considering i was on a heavy stag the weekend before and only got out once last week and twice the week before!! Did the same race in 39.5 mins last year. Slowly improving. Would love to knock another minute or 2 off. That would be cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

havent broke 40mins yet , but got a new pb of 40:16 , happy out only for got out sprinted at the finish !!! good day , tough course , managed to get by head and the boards AC singlet on the telly too , little bit of advertising for the club could be useful !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jip wrote: »
    Circa 45 mins also, although I reckon congestion could put a dent on that.

Got my 45 mins, bloody hell though, my heart broke when I saw we had to go down the Furry Glen and double back up the other side. I think I must have blanked that part out of my head before the run, that was a killer after the rollercoaster few ks beforehand. And that bloody finishing straight with the false finish :p First 10k so respectable enough I think !

Yeah, that bit where you're running down into the Glen and you can see the runners on the other side going up the hill.... ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

Got home in 37:47, a bit disappointed was hoping for 37:30 or better. Had a good first 5k but from there to 9k was fairly tough. Hardest part was the hill in the furry glen. It is a tough course, and I did find it a bit hot.

I passed the guy who was in difficulty in the last 400, he was in a bad way. I wonder what happened to him to be in such a bad way.

On the whole it was a well organised event, was well towards the front so only had minor problems passing the slower guys. I wonder were AI happy with the event and if it will be the national 10k from now. Be interesting to see what the clubs made of it.

Good run by the 3 lead Irish guys, hopefully Fagan can stay fit till the Europeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Less than 1:06:43 will be a PB. Hoping for 1:01:00

1:05:14 That'll do nicely. Roll on a flatter, less congested course:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

emerald007 wrote: »
    I'm hoping sub 33mins and a top 50 finish on Sunday.

33.27 on the day and in the mid thirty's at the finish. disappointed with the lack of AAI teams in the event. Putting a new non-navan/non great-run 10k course on my santa list now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

disappointed with the lack of AAI teams in the event.

Are team results available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seres wrote: »
    havent broke 40mins yet , but got a new pb of 40:16 , happy out only for got out sprinted at the finish !!! good day , tough course , managed to get by head and the boards AC singlet on the telly too , little bit of advertising for the club could be useful !!
    Well done Seres. Edging ever closer to that goal! On a flat course, yesterday would've been your day. 23rd female across the finish line. Impressive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

33.27 on the day and in the mid thirty's at the finish. disappointed with the lack of AAI teams in the event. Putting a new non-navan/non great-run 10k course on my santa list now.

There's one on this weekend apparently. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

35:44. I think my prediction was more where I shouldve been as opposed to where I really was. But I was delighted with the way I raced, didnt surrender a position from start to finish and passed a lot of people on the way(especially in the last 600meters, absolute carnage, so many blow-ups in that home stretch). Was racing one guy for 7km, he was a persistant bugger alright, out sprinted him in the end though. Tough, tough course though........
    Honourable mentions have to go to aero2k and Seres. Aero with a cracking 37:07, he's in great nick for Endinborough in a few weeks time. And Seres with a barnstorming 40:16. Not even a member of a club and you skinned all the women who ran for my club! Brilliant stuff from both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

disappointed with the lack of AAI teams in the event.

+1 to that. From the sums it looks to me like we won the vets category helped in no small part by possibly the best M45 in the world who recently transferred to the club (think we would have been silver but for Gerry). Happy about that but not having the results worked out on the spot takes 99% of the sheen away from it. Getting a medal in the post takes a lot away from things. I know they had big numbers but I don't think there's an excuse for not having things well tested in advance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

tunguska wrote: »
    35:44. I think my prediction was more where I shouldve been as opposed to where I really was. But I was delighted with the way I raced, didnt surrender a position from start to finish and passed a lot of people on the way(especially in the last 600meters, absolute carnage, so many blow-ups in that home stretch). Was racing one guy for 7km, he was a persistant bugger alright, out sprinted him in the end though. Tough, tough course though........
    Honourable mentions have to go to aero2k and Seres. Aero with a cracking 37:07, he's in great nick for Endinborough in a few weeks time. And Seres with a barnstorming 40:16. Not even a member of a club and you skinned all the women who ran for my club! Brilliant stuff from both of you.

think i know that guy you were racing against , did you thank him for pacing you after ?, great preformance , nice meetin yourself and aero k , meet loads of boardizies actually and everyone seemed happy with there preformances , good day , good strong challenging field of women runners too , nice to see it !

Well done Seres. Edging ever closer to that goal! On a flat course, yesterday would've been your day. 23rd female across the finish line. Impressive!
    thanks kc , thought at one stage i was on the money , look like will have to hold off on new log till june anyway, course was tough which actually suits me , seem to make alot of ground on the hills , always surprise myself by how much agony i can put myself thru and convince myself afterwards that i really enjoyed it !
    with regards club runners , great representation of strong female runners from the west , especially mayo ac and athenry , hopefully they will all be taking part in the galways series starting next week , really excited bout this now , gets the auld heart racing , hehe :) ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

ergo wrote: »

so 43:00 plus or minus 3 minutes

ended up with 40:52 - I'd have happily taken that beforehand but very disappointed with my tactics - I went out way too fast - was running at 39:30 pace and thought I was feeling comfortable when I just don't have the sub 40 training in me at the moment (well possibly 40 on the button)

anyway, ended up having to stop between 7 and 8 k for about 20 seconds to get myself together and not vomit - disaster :eek: and just a bit embarrassing - so I was happy to pull it back together and get that time - If I'd gone even pace or negative split may have pulled of the sub 40, oh well :rolleyes: great to get back out there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 000sparks000

First time runner here

Did it in 55 minutes, which by the looks of things here is a bit crap!:)

Did two 4 mile runs during the week for the past 2 months. Then last two weeks added in a 6 mile run on the Sunday.

Going to continue the two 4 mile runs and up it to 8 miles on a sunday, building to 10 etc............... want to run the big one in October!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

First time runner here

Says who?
    As you say, you're a first time runner.
    It's a time you can aim to beat next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

First time runner here

Did two 4 mile runs during the week for the past 2 months. Then last two weeks added in a 6 mile run on the Sunday.

Going to continue the two 4 mile runs and up it to 8 miles on a sunday, building to 10 etc............... want to run the big one in October!

The great thing about running. Doesnt matter who is running what you have a time set... your goal..... break that time. Only person you are running against is your watch. Its a good run if you gave it your best and came across the line happy in your performance

I ran Sunday in 53.45. Last year I didn't run at all. Big improvement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

First run since 1993.... 6 weeks training - twice a week, doing about 6k.
    Delighted with 56:44, felt in really good nick after the run, (not so good yesterday though!!)
    Cant wait to do the next one. Application sent in to her who must be obeyed for "permission"
    I think I'll stick to the 10k's as I will be able to track my progress, if any!!
    Thanks to all on boards for their advice.. loved reading the threads.
    Till next time

Bonus - lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

35:44. I think my prediction was more where I shouldve been as opposed to where I really was.
    tunguska, it won't be long before you beat that predicted time. 35:44 would be impressive any day, but coming back from injury, with a suspect knee, on that course, it was a very impressive performance.
    I was impressed by Seres too, consistent training will knock minutes off that time.
    I was aiming for sub 37, with a faint hope of 36:30, and with that in mind I got to 5k in 18:00. I may have relaxed a little then, or not pushed myself up the hills, but at 8k I realised I'd have to do something special to make it under 37. I couldn't go any faster at the end, though I might have managed a bit further, which I suppose is how I should feel 5 weeks out from Edinburgh.
    I run those hills most days in the opposite direction, and a lot slower, and they're not nearly as bad as they felt on Sunday!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

aero2k wrote: »
    I run those hills most days in the opposite direction, and a lot slower, and they're not nearly as bad as they felt on Sunday!:D

Agree, I've only ever ran them in the opposite direction and never found them as tough as I did on Sunday :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Speak for yourself:D:D:D

Nice time there, keep up the training;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

My second Boards AC race. Was hoping to run 43:45m (I should've stuck with menoscemo!) but happy enough with 44:33 as I had an injury a few weeks ago and it's 2 seconds inside my pb :)
    ...had to run 1:30 for the last 400m to get it (also knocked 2 seconds off my 5 mile pb in my first Boards outing on Paddy's day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Couldnt find any photos yet from marathon photo but some good ones on Flickr and on great run website.

Advertisement