Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+ Box Free for New Customers

• 16-04-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Sky already offer free Sky+ boxes to new customers: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland/offers but if you are going to get a free Sky+ box, you can help me out and I will get one too! The offer gets you a free Sky+HD box, with €30 installation. You can sign up to any package starting at €22. The box allows you to record TV and watch another channel at the same time. If you are kind enough to do this via this post (and me) I will also get a free Sky+HD box, which I desperately need; I only have an original Sky box, it's like living in the stone ages. I have to watch TV live or not at all. If you are interested, let me know, and I'll send you the details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crossfire

Hello

baileye wrote: »
    Sky already offer free Sky+ boxes to new customers: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/ireland/offers but if you are going to get a free Sky+ box, you can help me out and I will get one too! The offer gets you a free Sky+HD box, with €30 installation. You can sign up to any package starting at €22. The box allows you to record TV and watch another channel at the same time. If you are kind enough to do this via this post (and me) I will also get a free Sky+HD box, which I desperately need; I only have an original Sky box, it's like living in the stone ages. I have to watch TV live or not at all. If you are interested, let me know, and I'll send you the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

You also have to sign up to the HD subscription for a year, which is €15 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭baileye

Soarer wrote: »
    You also have to sign up to the HD subscription for a year, which is €15 per month.

Not according to the offer thingy in my hand... It says that the HD pack is an extra €15/month upgrade.

Any chance of a scan?

I'm fairly sure that you can get the standard Sky+ box free, with no Sky+ subscription, but if you decide to go for the HD box, it's subject to a minimum 12 month HD sub.

Unless they've changed it with the last few days.

Edit: I just went through Sky's sign-up process there, and the option for the free HD box is "Sky+HD Box with the HD pack". Click here to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

baileye wrote: »
    Not according to the offer thingy in my hand... It says that the HD pack is an extra €15/month upgrade.

Join Sky TV today and get a free Sky+HD box with the HD Pack (€15 extra a month) and access Ireland's widest range of HD channels with vivid life-like colour and up to 5x more picture detail

You need to pay for the HD sub to get the Sky+ HD box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they have discontinued the old Sky+ box. everyone gets the HD box now (except for multiroom, where they use the non-recording box).

Any chance of a scan?

I'm fairly sure that you can get the standard Sky+ box free, with no Sky+ subscription, but if you decide to go for the HD box, it's subject to a minimum 12 month HD sub.

Unless they've changed it with the last few days.

Here is the text as it says:

"A free Sky+ box when you join Sky TV - thanks to your friend

Your friend thought you'd love our best ever Sky+ box. With digital-quality picture and sound, and double the storage of a standard Sly+ box - up to 185 hours of standard definition programmes. Sky+ lets you pause and rewind live TV, and record and entire series. Join with this voucher and a ger a free Sky_ box )previously €49) with €30 standard set-up.

[picture of a Sky+HD box]
    [blurb about the box]

Got an HD ready TV?
    Experience your favourite shows in stunning high definition and access Ireland's widest range of HD channels. Just add the JD pack for €15 a month extra."

I don't have a scanner to hand, but I took a pic with my phone - it's attached.

Ahhh, loyatemu's post makes sense of it all.
    So if you sign up for Sky+ now, they'll give you a free HD box instead of the "normal" Sky+ box.
    But if you're pure posh, or a silly muggins, you can opt for a "free HD box" but you have to subscribe to the HD pack. Very clever wording out of them.

So after all that, it's a good offer baileye.

Only thing is, I'm fairly sure that Sky are gonna release a SkyHD 3D box in the summer, which means you'll have to upgrade the standard HD box again! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

TheZohan wrote: »
    You need to pay for the HD sub to get the Sky+ HD box

No you just need the sub to get the hd channels and content, they (sky) are stopping the bog standard sky+ boxes and giving hd boxes in their place i set up sky for my folks two months ago and they have a hd box without the sub

Only thing is, I'm fairly sure that Sky are gonna release a SkyHD 3D box in the summer, which means you'll have to upgrade the standard HD box again! :rolleyes:

Yeah, they might do that alright. Though I can't see it taking off the same way HD has, since there will need to be a large uptake in 3D tvs and I just can't see that happening. We've all spent money on nice shiny HDTVs too recently.
    Personally I hate 3D - it's been done to death, it rears its head every decade or so, in a slightly different guise, for the past several decades. I don't like it in case that wasn't clear; it gives me a headache, and I can feel the strain it puts on my eyes. Though the glasses free 3D might be interesting, that would be a genuine change in the technology.
    Still, I like progress, so I want them to roll it out. It keeps all the other companies updating their tech too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Only thing is, I'm fairly sure that Sky are gonna release a SkyHD 3D box in the summer,

No such thing an existing HD box will support 3D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Can you pick up BBC1 HD or UTV HD on these boxes for free?

World Cup in HD for free anybody?

I'm an old Sky Customer, I cancelled when I left the country two years ago. I'm home now and all the sky equipment is still in the house (dish on the roof, Sky+ box in one room, normal Sky box in the other just no subscription). Would I be classed as a new customer or existing customer?

j14 wrote: »

I'm an old Sky Customer, I cancelled when I left the country two years ago. I'm home now and all the sky equipment is still in the house (dish on the roof, Sky+ box in one room, normal Sky box in the other just no subscription). Would I be classed as a new customer or existing customer?

I don't have a HD box (yet!) but from what I can tell you should get BBC and Channel 4 in HD without a HD sub from Sky, but I can't tell you for sure. Hopefully someone else on here knows, I'd like to know this too.

Oh, and as for being a new customer... I *think* the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.

Yes ITV and BBC HD are free to air, World Cup included

j14 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Tony wrote: »
    Yes ITV and BBC HD are free to air, World Cup included

They are free to air but I'm not sure you can pick them up on the SkyHD box. They are not on the EPG and last time I checked (maybe a year ago) there was some issue that prevented BBC HD to be added to other channels.

Open to correction... maybe I should try again...

Ix.

Both can be added to other channels on a skyHD box

ixtlan wrote: »
    They are free to air but I'm not sure you can pick them up on the SkyHD box. They are not on the EPG and last time I checked (maybe a year ago) there was some issue that prevented BBC HD to be added to other channels.

Open to correction... maybe I should try again...

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Tony wrote: »
    Both can be added to other channels on a skyHD box
    Sorry a bit off topic:

Tony,

Can I upgrade to the Sky+ box which is also the HD box but not opt for the HD subscription(€15pm) and still tune BBC and ITV HD and watch the world cup in HD? I thought unless you pay €15 a month they switch off the HD function? If I can watch it in HD will I also be able to record some matches?

@ Rash. AFAIK, there's no such thing as a standard Sky+ box anymore. If you upgrade to Sky+, you get a SkyHD box.
    With the HD box, you can add ITVHD and BBCHD to your other channels without subscribing to the HD pack, but unfortunately you can't record any channel that you manually add.
    Even if you get the HD pack, you'll still have to manually add the two HD channels, as they're UK only channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was on to the sky crowd yesterday, i phoned the number i found on advertisment,
    either you pay 15 per month along with 30 installation
    or you pay 159 as a once off this includes installation
    i am a customer of sky for 15 years
    and they will not leave me have this box free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

goat2 wrote: »
    i was on to the sky crowd yesterday, i phoned the number i found on advertisment,
    just tell em you're leaving. I got 20% off my bill for six months, plus free HD box AND install.
    I had sports in for one month beforehand, apparently being a "premium customer", regardless of for how long, opens up their possibility to haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

This thread had made me realise that there is a new higher capacity/faster/lower power Sky HD box available, and a special offer for it.

As someone who independently purchased and had installed a HD box 2.5 years ago (because I didn't want Sky messing with my system) does anyone think I would now qualify for the current offer of free new HD box with one year subscription.

Sky never sold me a HD box so I should qualify, but I suspect they will say "you have HD!" and refuse. I wonder would I have to cancel HD and then try to re-join under the offer.

Comments?

Ix.

As Soarer says you can tune in bbc and itv hd without a hd sub but you cannot record them on a sky box as they are not on the programme guide

rash0001 wrote: »
    Sorry a bit off topic:

Tony,

Can I upgrade to the Sky+ box which is also the HD box but not opt for the HD subscription(€15pm) and still tune BBC and ITV HD and watch the world cup in HD? I thought unless you pay €15 a month they switch off the HD function? If I can watch it in HD will I also be able to record some matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I just spoke to SKY on 0818 762 872, I am an existing customer and still have the origional "dino" box, and told them that I was tired of getting special offers shoved in my letter box for new customers. He offered me the new Sky+/HD ready box, at the same price (free plus 30 euro installation) without looking for new friends, or canceling my subscription. So give them a call, maybe they have nicer staff on at the weekends. The basic package you have to sign the contract for is 22 euro, the HD is 15 euro extra per month.

Slick50 wrote: »
    I just spoke to SKY on 0818 762 872, I am an existing customer and still have the origional "dino" box, and told them that I was tired of getting special offers shoved in my letter box for new customers. He offered me the new Sky+/HD ready box, at the same price (free plus 30 euro installation) without looking for new friends, or canceling my subscription. So give them a call, maybe they have nicer staff on at the weekends. The basic package you have to sign the contract for is 22 euro, the HD is 15 euro extra per month.
    good on you
    will you be paying the monthly subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

Rang sky last week, told them i was cancelling, they offered me a sky hd box and free installation ,ended up taking the offer (no HD sub)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

good on you
    will you be paying the monthly subscription
    I think I will, I'm currently paying 32 euro a month, so I'll review the other sh*te I'm paying for and don't use before I make a decission. I've seen the HD in stores and think it looks pretty impressive. Did you try them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Iamhere wrote: »
    Rang sky last week, told them i was cancelling, they offered me a sky hd box and free installation ,ended up taking the offer (no HD sub)...

What if they say "ok I will cancel it!"

Raoul wrote: »
    What if they say "ok I will cancel it!"
    they can if they like, i will be one bill lighter, and delighted,
    i have not yet rang back
    but since i made the first call, they have made 4 calls in 24 hours, they must be hard up, i tell them i am having a good think as i do not have the readies that i had in the past
    i did say that i thought it was free to people like me who has been with them for 15 years, shows where their priorities lie
    they should know that in business
    it is far easier to lose a good customer
    than gain a new customer
    they are not looking after us
    my machine is 10 years old, i did say to them, it should be a historic artifact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

they can if they like, i will be one bill lighter, and delighted,
    i have not yet rang back
    but since i made the first call, they have made 4 calls in 24 hours, they must be hard up, i tell them i am having a good think as i do not have the readies that i had in the past
    i did say that i thought it was free to people like me who has been with them for 15 years, shows where their priorities lie
    they should know that in business
    it is far easier to lose a good customer
    than gain a new customer
    they are not looking after us
    my machine is 10 years old, i did say to them, it should be a historic artifact

We have sky about 15 years too. We also have bought a sky+ box for multiroom, and have the most expensive subscription. Its a joke how they don't reward any of their loyal customers. We have always had sky movies and sky sports and prem plus too. I have emailed them saying this before and they more or less said tough crap! Really want to replace our original sky box with at least a sky plus box. Do you think I should ring up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Raoul wrote: »
    We have sky about 15 years too. We also have bought a sky+ box for multiroom, and have the most expensive subscription. Its a joke how they don't reward any of their loyal customers. We have always had sky movies and sky sports and prem plus too. I have emailed them saying this before and they more or less said tough crap! Really want to replace our original sky box with at least a sky plus box. Do you think I should ring up?
    ring and say you're thinking of leaving, that you need to reduce bill and chorus are offering you a free +box with free install. they'll haggle back, especially if you have premium channels, they're allowed make you an offer to reduce your bill for 6 months.

zuroph wrote: »
    ring and say you're thinking of leaving, that you need to reduce bill and chorus are offering you a free +box with free install. they'll haggle back, especially if you have premium channels, they're allowed make you an offer to reduce your bill for 6 months.
    i have just been on
    i have stopped the supscription
    i also had multiroom
    also premium
    i asked for two things
    free box plus
    and bring down the monthly bill
    they said it would be either one or the other
    then i said if that is the offer, you can cut me out of your customer list
    there was alot of haggling
    i asked them would they ever tot up what they got from me from start
    then i said you are offering free box to someone you have not made money out of
    that is a funny way to carry out business, they lost a very good customer today
    is there a new company coming here with a better offer, does anyone know

You shoulda taken the free box (+ installation), and then ring back next month looking for a reduction in the bill.

Little steps Grasshopper! ;)

You shoulda taken the free box (+ installation), and then ring back next month looking for a reduction in the bill.

Little steps Grasshopper! ;)

too late now
    then again i was doing this on principal
    after 15 years on premium and multiroom, they should have taken the jump, instead they pushed me overboard

question
    does anyone know if there are a new crowd starting up something similar, thought i heard or read it somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Was on to Sky myself last night wanted to get a Sky HD box no sub ( for the larger drive ) decent guy on the end of the phone and I was nice and not pushy but didn't try and make up any lies.

Apparently all new plus boxes are now HD boxes no sub sky are not buying the old plus boxes anymore. if you have the basic model they will upgrade you to sky hd no sub for €30 no extra bill per month.

As I already have sky+ he couldn't get that deal for me and the best he could offer was sign up to SKY HD get the box for install for €60 and then for an additional €4.80 per month give me the HD channels at that price for 12 months ( instead of the €15 extra ). Thing is he said no sub once or twice before i copped it and I asked apparently the offer he was giving me would not have the 12 month contract.

Ended up that since my +box isn't working properly the pause and rewind isn't working he was able to give me a service call for free ( he credited my account ) and I have a 50/50 chance they will replace it with a HD box if not I will ring up and get the other offer.

Have to say it again real decent lad on the phone can't fault the customer service but then I was upfront about what I was after and was nice to him always pays to be decent to people in a call center considering a lot of the crap calls they put up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 callaway92..

txt_mess wrote: »
    Was on to Sky myself last night wanted to get a Sky HD box no sub ( for the larger drive ) decent guy on the end of the phone and I was nice and not pushy but didn't try and make up any lies.

Apparently all new plus boxes are now HD boxes no sub sky are not buying the old plus boxes anymore. if you have the basic model they will upgrade you to sky hd no sub for €30 no extra bill per month.

As I already have sky+ he couldn't get that deal for me and the best he could offer was sign up to SKY HD get the box for install for €60 and then for an additional €4.80 per month give me the HD channels at that price for 12 months ( instead of the €15 extra ). Thing is he said no sub once or twice before i copped it and I asked apparently the offer he was giving me would not have the 12 month contract.

Ended up that since my +box isn't working properly the pause and rewind isn't working he was able to give me a service call for free ( he credited my account ) and I have a 50/50 chance they will replace it with a HD box if not I will ring up and get the other offer.

Have to say it again real decent lad on the phone can't fault the customer service but then I was upfront about what I was after and was nice to him always pays to be decent to people in a call center considering a lot of the crap calls they put up with.
    great deal there baby if only i can get that baby

• Advertisement

if that was aired twoards me
    i did not lose the head
    i just asked, and he was not able to come across, company policies
    he too was a very nice person, cannot fault him
    just company
    i do realise he is just earning his bread and butter, they are as helpful as they can be, fair dues to them

great deal there baby if only i can get that baby

I'd say that's the first time I have been called baby since my mother :D

if that was aired twoards me
    i did not lose the head
    i just asked, and he was not able to come across, company policies
    he too was a very nice person, cannot fault him
    just company
    i do realise he is just earning his bread and butter, they are as helpful as they can be, fair dues to them

wasn't trying to say you lost the head apologies if you thought it was aimed at you , was trying to let people know the offer I got find it good to have a bit of knowledge of whats available before you get on to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 callaway92..

so you got hd for 4.80 and a free box then babe

Jees, that's a good offer. Hd channels for €4.80 per month isn't to be sniffed at.
    Only problem is, if they're reducing the price like that, how long before they get rid of it altogether, and people are tied into a 12 months contract?

And just to be clear, they're upgrading non-plus boxes to HD boxes (no sub) for just the €30 installation fee?

• Advertisement

wasn't trying to say you lost the head apologies if you thought it was aimed at you , was trying to let people know the offer I got find it good to have a bit of knowledge of whats available before you get on to them .
    i apologise
    do you know any other companies that do multichannell

so you got hd for 4.80 and a free box then babe

Noi it was €60 +4.80 extra a month and please stop calling me babe it's weirding me out :eek:

Just to point out what I am signed up to at the moment is 4 regular tv packages , movies 1 & 2 and the plus nothing else.

i apologise
    do you know any other companies that do multichannell

UPC/NTL do it, along with phone and broadband.

See here.

And just to be clear, they're upgrading non-plus boxes to HD boxes (no sub) for just the €30 installation fee?

yeh thats the offer one of the guys in work got it thought he was winding me up thats what kick started me into fishing to see what i could get for free.

UPC/NTL do it, along with phone and broadband.

See here.

The other option is to go freeview there were boxes up in bargains alerts a short while back for this definitely handy for a second room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd say a lot depends on who you get to talk to.
    I got a bloke who could barely speak English. spent ages trying to explain what I wanted and wasn't happy, too expensive blah blah.
    Asked him what he going to do for me but after some time trying to explain, I gave up and told him to cancel the sub.
    No response apart from that's fine Sir, we'll cut you off then, bye, bye
    and that was the end of my relationship with Sky.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd say a lot depends on who you get to talk to.
    I got a bloke who could barely speak English. spent ages trying to explain what I wanted and wasn't happy, too expensive blah blah.
    Asked him what he going to do for me but after some time trying to explain, I gave up and told him to cancel the sub.
    No response apart from that's fine Sir, we'll cut you off then, bye, bye
    and that was the end of my relationship with Sky.

I did get an irish guy they must have a call center that closes over here at a certain time and after that it gets diverted to another call center in Bangalore.

Their call centre's in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sky don't seem to be interested in rewarding loyalty unless their hand is forced.
    I recently got a letter from sky offering a free hd box if i introduced a friend. I'm still using my four year old non plus box. I was a little miffed that new customers would just get it for free.

So when i moved apartment i just asked UPC to install. I called up Sky and asked to cancel my sub with them. They said i was "due" a "free" hd upgrade, WTF!!, if they had told me this before i would have been over the moon and gotten sky in the new place. It even has a dish in there already. So I'm getting UPC tv and internet and will use my Dreambox as a satellite freesat box.
    When I do upgrade to HD, it wont be with Sky.

They could have surpassed my expectations and OFFERED me this "free upgrade" that I was "due" and kept a happy customer. Instead they pushed me away to a competitor.
    Oh well, I get more channels for less money than my Sky sub with UPC, and i still get all the other satellite freesat stuff anyhow, with series links etc using the freesat epg.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I called the call centre this morning, I'm not cool enough to get a free Sky+ box, I got the same "we can't hand them out without extra subs or we'd lose money" answer. I could have got it with a €30 install if I signed up for HD at €15/month, even as an existing customer, so that's something they seem to offer to everyone.

Also he was completely unmoved when I said I'd consider moving to UPC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement