Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched from Eircom to Vodafone At Home, works better than before!

• 16-04-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Only posting this because I saw a few threads recently about Vodafone not being, shall we say, the best.

Despite this, I switched my DSL from Eircom to Vodafone. Not only am I saving over €10 a month, but the broadband is actually faster now. For example, videos now stream without pauses. While I can still only sync at 2mb because we are far away from the exchange, download speeds are improved. On Eircom, they'd jump around between 50 and 200kb/sec, on Vodafone they're mostly running at a stable 200kb/sec most of the time. Even 216kb at times without dropping down.

Could be just a coincidence of course. After a few days on Vodafone, I switched the modem, and have noticed my WiFi is much faster now as it uses 802.11n, Eircom's modem could only do 802.11g. Also noticed the Vodafone modem has some neat features, like you can connect a USB modem for automatic failover if the DSL were to go down, print server, file server... it even has VoIP, though that's not activated yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

So whats the wages like at vodafone these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

clearz wrote: »
    So whats the wages like at vodafone these days?

I realize you were joking, but...

The only mobile phone company I have ever done any work for was o2, and I've had no qualms about criticizing them in public when they did wrong by me.

If Vodafone would like to hire me on a consulting basis, they can make me an offer. However, to date I have never been in their employment in any way, shape or form. If I had, I would have made that clear. I've also critiqued them about ripping off iPhone customers in Ireland by simply copying o2's tariffs.

This is simply my personal experience, YMMV. Since switching from Eircom to Vodafone, I've had more consistent speeds and better performance. Both in speed tests and real world usage like streaming video. It may all just be a coincidence and it could be that Eircom improved the exchange at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 killerFimble

Can someone confirm that if I switch from Eircom to Vodafone that i keep my @eircom.net email address. I assume i don't have to pay any money to eircom to keep this address. All my contacts will still be able to us the eircom address with problems?

Thanks
    Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Yep, you get to keep your @eircom.net email address.

Long term, it might be advisable to get an email address that is independent of any ISP (Internet Service Provider), such as Gmail or even your own domain, though the latter only applies if you use your address for business as it comes across as more professional.

You could even get a Gmail account for free and than tie in your eircom.net address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 killerFimble

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement