Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing the pup to uk?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi everyone,

Just a quick question, is it possible to bring my dog on the boat to england (will be driving) and if so what would i need and would anyone know a rough cost on everything?
    my whole family (myself included) are due to go over for a family thing in london so there would be noone at home, I do have friends that are more than willing to mind him but he'd be alone all day while theyre at work and I couldnt face having him stay in a dog kennel for the week!!

Another option would be to just not go but I figure i'll suss out the boat thing first!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think you can bring a dog to the UK without a pet passport. I'm not completely sure, but I think you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

alison_q wrote: »
    hi everyone,

Just a quick question, is it possible to bring my dog on the boat to england (will be driving) and if so what would i need and would anyone know a rough cost on everything?
    my whole family (myself included) are due to go over for a family thing in london so there would be noone at home, I do have friends that are more than willing to mind him but he'd be alone all day while theyre at work and I couldnt face having him stay in a dog kennel for the week!!

Another option would be to just not go but I figure i'll suss out the boat thing first!!

Its no problem at all, I just went over for a week with 3 dogs. If you go on the Irish Ferries Ulysses, they have a great kennel set up on board, but I'd bring a padlock for the door, something for the floor of the kennel, and probably a disinfectant spray, and clean it a bit before you put the dog in. Or, even easier, if the dog is okay travelling in the car, just leave him in the car and he'll be fine. Mine stayed in their crates and there wasn't a bother on them. You don't need any paperwork, but just in case, I suggest you being his vacc card and if his microchipped, his registration card but I've never been asked for anything. If you want to use the kennels on board I think you have to book, and its first come first served, but theres no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My brother is doing it the other way around, he is collecting a Staffie pup in the UK in six weeks and he doesn't need any paperwork to bring him into Ireland so I presume it would be the same the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The Common Travel Area (British and Irish islands) means that people and animals may move freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I don't think you will have any worries bring your dog over to the U.K. My husband did it the other way around also, he brought our dog over from the U.K. on the boat a few years ago, I think the law regarding animals is still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 alison_q

good stuff!! guess he'll be going on his first holiday in august :D
    thanks for your help!

Advertisement