Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another dead Finch

• 16-04-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

I had a dead finch in the back garden near the house itself. I've noticed previously that when the bird are struck down with this illness thats palgueing them that they tend to seek cover and I've found dead ones huddled in corners etc.

I'm worried that this illness is back. I've done some reading on it (not that you'd tell because I can't recall it's name) and regular cleaning and disinfecting seems to be the best advice. However, I'm cleaning the feeders regularly and thoroughly with bleachy water and rinsing well afterwards. I also move the feeder locations.

Are there special detregents that I can use? Is bleach good enough? I'd like something that I could use in my pressure sprayer to cover the entire area.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.asp

Most likely trichomoniasis.

Cleaning with bleech should do. I use Jeyes Fluid myself. I had devastating losses of Greefinches in the garden 3 years ago and numbers are only now returning to normal.
    There is a case for stopping feeding for a couple of weeks, so birds disperse more and stop spreading the disease which seems to thrive at close quarters. I'd give everything a clean and take in feeders, tables, the lot for 2 weeks. Worth it in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Sounds like a plan. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I think I'd avoid bleach when cleaning anything to do with feeding!
    A build up of bleach in their system is going to harm the bird.

Cleaning with washing up liquid or Milton would be enough.

Stopping feeding for a few weeks is good advice.

Fine is as far as it goes but just a few points.

Naturally feeders, bird tables etc should be rinsed very well, regardless of what they are washed in. A build up of soap in their sytems wouldn't be great either!:P

Washing up liquid will not kill bacteria at this level nor any virus. Disinfectant or bleech will.

And finally: Milton is bleech!

PS: This type of cleaning regime should be standard procedure in all gardens. It's not just for when disease breaks out. Clean everything at least once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

hey srameen,
    I realise milton is a bleach but its less toxic and much milder than your standard bleach.

If you have the time maybe email birdwatch ireland - they were keeping track of cases of trichomoniasis,

email info@birdwatchireland.ie

• Advertisement

MB Lacey wrote: »
    hey srameen,
    I realise milton is a bleach but its less toxic and much milder than your standard bleach.

If you have the time maybe email birdwatch ireland - they were keeping track of cases of trichomoniasis,

email info@birdwatchireland.ie

I called them when it first happened and they seemed pretty apathetic about it tbh.

re bleach: I rinse thoroughly with fresh pressurised well water.

MB Lacey wrote: »

It's a matter of dilution rates. Your common or garden household bleach is perfect for the job. (Though I still use Jeyes Fluid for my routine cleaning)

From Birdwatch Irelands advice, in October 2009, on cleaning as a result of the trichomoniasis outbreak:

"Suitable disinfectants that can be used include a weak
    solution of domestic bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite)
    "

They mention no other products whatsoever.

Took my large feeder apart during lunch and gave it a good old clean with bleach solution.

Then treated the feeding area with Jeyes.

I'll leave it 2 weeks. I've run out of food anyway :D - waiting for CJ delivery ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

good thread lads, thanks.

Advertisement